Post-Game Discussion Sharks v Manly [Round 21, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sharks
Vs
Sea Eagles
26 PointsBet Stadium
23 Jul 2023 16:05
80:00 minute

Match Stats

I thought the forward losses hurt us somewhat. Paseka in particular

i was cooking dinner around the footy. At half time i was asked what time dinner was to be.
as i was doing the math i thought i had better factor in extra time because thats my team. . Luckily we avoided that and i had extra time to prep

the capitulation at the end is part of us, injuries, no injuries. Its what we do

after croker kicked a 40/20 i hoped we would kick ourselves to victory but our attention to the process went out the window

with the wind and injuries , it seemed so obvious i was really concerned. We do lose our way at times

Was there anything illegal in the grapple that has put Tent out for the rest of the season?
We've banned chicken wings, crushers, cannonballs . . .
Was this a wishbone or some other type of nefarious tackle?
The rookie second rower from the Sharks that made the tackle is facing a week on the sidelines for it, yet it went unpunished on field. The same as Jake's head high tackle..The same as Koula's trip..And yet Fitzgibbon wants to complain about the refs..

Was there anything illegal in the grapple that has put Tent out for the rest of the season?
We've banned chicken wings, crushers, cannonballs . . .
Was this a wishbone or some other type of nefarious tackle?
The Cronulla second rower Colquhoun got a grade 2 dangerous conduct charge and faces a 1 week suspension with guilty plea. At least they charged him but should have been at least a penalty at the time as with Jake.

I remembered this morning boys and girls - the tackle on Paseka was classed as the wishbone tackle (or chicken wing). Here is the NRL's comments and penalties for said tackle:

Chicken wing tackles​

A torsion/flexion of limbs (chicken wing) is a breach of the code where a player uses any part of his body to forcefully twist, bend or apply pressure to a limb or limbs of an opposing player in a way that involves an unacceptable risk of injury to that player. A defending player will be charged with this offence if the limb or limbs of the attacking player are moved in an abnormal direction or outside the usual ranges of movement.

What are the key indicators of this charge?

The limb must be taken past its normal range of movement with the contact by the defending player. The defender may have placed dangerous pressure on the limb to place the attacker to gain an advantage or control the tackle. The contact must be deemed as unnecessary and avoidable.
You left out the clause which states- ..... in any case all this is nullified if the incident takes place on a Manly player.

Yes, we lost three props (Tent, Al and Jurbo) but we still had props in Kewpie, Lodge and Woods. I'm not sure we can simply blame injuries for our 'white flag' defence.
Is it just me or is Kelma unworthy of a place in our top 17? I have been so disappointed and underwhelmed by his performances.
It's the fatigue factor that is the killer. Instead of rotating these guys their usual 15-20 min stints they had to do more and any side including Penrith would struggle losing 3 of their middles.

It's the fatigue factor that is the killer. Instead of rotating these guys their usual 15-20 min stints they had to do more and any side including Penrith would struggle losing 3 of their middles.
What ever happened to the props that played the whole 80 minutes, including scrums which were a battle of their own? Soft, I say, this current mob... but not within their earshot!

What ever happened to the props that played the whole 80 minutes, including scrums which were a battle of their own? Soft, I say, this current mob... but not within their earshot!
Aaahhh those were the days. 1 man tackles around the legs, slow play the balls, scrums that took minutes, 5m defense lines, no time off for anything and playing in the dirt and mud.

Yes, we lost three props (Tent, Al and Jurbo) but we still had props in Kewpie, Lodge and Woods. I'm not sure we can simply blame injuries for our 'white flag' defence.
Is it just me or is Kelma unworthy of a place in our top 17? I have been so disappointed and underwhelmed by his performances.
He made 40 tackles this week.

Wasn't a fan of his at all before but Kelma has been great recently, I don't know if it's the headgear creating an illusion but he's seemed very dependable and 40 tackles speak for themself. Definitely bigger issues in the team at the moment imo and I'd like to think he'll keep getting better with the more reps he gets with us, he's still only played 12 games for us after all

I'm not one to overly bag the refs as you win some you lose some.

But Kennedy passing the ball off the ground and that knock on in the lead up to the next sharks try were just unforgivable.
I checked the Kennedy pass and it was ok, the arm passing the ball never touched the ground.

The knock on is unforgivable though. The ref had a brain explosion. Why weren’t the touchies getting in his ear?

Fuk "em who cares. Let them hate us it makes it so much sweeter when we do get the rare and occasional win. What is it now 8 from 25.
But is that even a stat, lol!
If you really want an arbitrary sample, cherry-picked to support a certain argument, I'd suggest this: if we ignore the few wins Manly has had this year, we've actually lost a whopping 16 in a row, separated only by a solitary draw! @:D

Our 3 injured props resulted in us playing 14 men vs 17 men over the course of the game so it took its toll on the 14 players who had to shoulder the 3 injured props’ workload.

Yes, I saw that AFB played the whole first 40mins first half and then came straight on for the second half. Not sure how many minutes he played in total but I was impressed

The Battle of two halves Perspective ....

In the first half we dominated and that was encouraging to see
In the second half when adversity set in we capitulated and lost the battle but escaped the clutches of defeat and narrowly won the game .

We need to learn to be a bit more resilient if we are to make the top 8 and Dominate
As for all the rest of our excuses on this forum for capitulating in the second half
The Fact is .Excuses do not make us a more resilient team

Holy Haumole!

Holy.jpg

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8