Some talent in Toyota cup

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Darren

Bencher
Gee, If i wanted to see a quality team go and watch the u20's!!

They are go from start to finish, big forwards, quality halves and quicjk backs with Hoppa at fullback. A brilliant and dominant effort today,

Sg Ball prop is absolute dynamite, looks like webcke, small but but like a tank, absolutely ripped into the opposition forwards, his leg speed was awesome, 
another quality junior coming thru,

Lussick, Tasi etc in forwards looked great,  what will Des do next year??

Cherry Evans kicked tremendous, amazing how he kicks consistently thru the winger and fullback (not like Orford)

gday Tookey, no it was Magnus Stromquist, he's Danish or similar (ala fair skinned) absolutely steam rolled the older and bigger Dragons forwards, he has improved so much since sg ball!! Reminded me of Shane Webcke, that type of build and play, I did hear that he was highly rated in juniors and has made rep team.

James Cunningham was in this same boat 12 months ago. A junior official told me they saw him as nrl potential for sure, there is much to like about his build for such a young age, his workrate is huge and has offloading skills, he is very young in this team.

Him and Magnus will anchor the totota team pack next year.

Lama Tasi, our front rower from Ipswich continues to get better and better, he looks to have lost some "extra size" and really bashed the opposition today.

To think: Tasi, Cunningham and Stromquist
2nd row; Lussick
halves in Cherry evans and Foran
backs: Hoppa, Porter, Davey as well as Saints Dean Whare next year, loads of talent to challenge the 1st grade squad in future.

Thanks Darren

Lets hope that we hold on to this talent.  Any word on whether Junior Palau is kicking on in brisbane?

I admit I'm quite a big fan of him and see him as a real smokey, some history from what I heard, top junior who was with Roosters but did cruciates, came to us, out of condition etc, played a blinder last game 2006 and I wrote of huge talent, did his leg again at Windsor in 2007 in front of Robstarr, out for most of year.

I thought that would be it but he got drafted to Sunshine coast, I believe he has really kicked on up there, some very strong reports in matches. He's a big kid and has some speed, can play prop or 2nd row but prop for his size.  

2 years ago, I hadn't seen a forward from our juniors with his impact, injuries did slow him down.

My opinion is that he may come off bench in 2010 if kept by Des. Does seem to have that potential and we are losing Hall, Cuthbo, Hargreaves so we will see.

And a big wrap to David Penna here also. This TEAM is extremely well coached. I emphasise the word team because they have covered extremely well when their best players have been out for a week or two. If you grab a big league and look at the u20 stats very few Manly players feature despite them being three point leaders of the comp.

They play as a coordinated unit and enjoy each others success.

Daly Cherry Evans controlled that game like a puppeteer yesterday. I just pray that he can beef up a bit more because he has the skills to make it in NRL but not the body at the moment.

Given how much Dessy trusts young talent, things are looking good for us in 2014 or the Roosters in 2010.

Matabele link said:
Given how much Dessy trusts young talent, things are looking good for us in 2014 or the Roosters in 2010.

But the be fair on Des do you think that either Hargreaves of Foran are really ready for the speed and physical nature of first grade at this stage of their careers? 

I think not and they came back to reaility on a big way yesterday especially Hargreaves who might struggle to keep up with the pace of the NRL at the roosters next year.   

What it really shows is that the toyota cup really needs to be an under 22 or 23 competition so that these players can be better able to step up to first grade at any time. 

The current competion was the idea of Denis Fitzgerald so unless it was his first sensible idea it it crap.  With no reserve grade now the game is losing a lot of talented players once they turn 20 and who may have matured considerably in a year or two's time.   

Remember the old under 23 competition and how many players then really by passed reserve grade straight into firsts?  Very few.  I know that the game is a lot quicker now but players who are barely 20 are not physically ready to handle players who are say mid twenties. 

The game is pushing too many young players into first grade and they will suffer long term injuries.  Look at SBW and his knees. 

Any team can have JWH and Cuthbo.  JWH comes from the same class as SBW, all shoulder charges and shy of tackling.  Cuthbo just drives me crazy with his stupid offloads and dropped ball.  Penna must be happy to see those two go up.  The U20's are the team to watch.  Last weekend 60 odd on the opposition followed up with the terrific win against the drags.  Fantastic.  Now to hang onto them and look for replacing Ox and a few others in the firsts.  Mata's, you're right about the age thing.  U22s would make more sense, but sense isn't really Gallop's thing.  An applaud for you.  Mutual appreciation thing happening here. 

Sorry Matas, wasn't you at all.  I've given you a smite to balance the applaud.  Tookey, I've given you an applaud. 

Matabele link said:

Yes its true in a way, but just like the Meningas mighty Queenslanders, Dessie rarely drops players. The results of both coaches in the last few years speak for them selves. 

DSM5 link said:
Sorry Matas, wasn't you at all.  I've given you a smite to balance the applaud.  Tookey, I've given you an applaud.  

I am sure Mata had thought of the idea as well.  ;D

Tony Williams was an absolute superstar in Toyota Cup last year and yet is still not rated by some here. That is the distance between that comp and the top grade. Takes a long time for some, whilst others will never make it.

tookey link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=181049.msg232005#msg232005 date=1247446458]
Sorry Matas, wasn't you at all.  I've given you a smite to balance the applaud.  Tookey, I've given you an applaud. 

I am sure Mata had thought of the idea as well.  ;D
[/quote]  Indeed.  I've a long held theory that late developers actually go on to be the better player as during their teens they get used to scrapping against bigger players and therefore have more heart and character.

But as it is now, you end up on the scrap heap at 21 and some blokes are probably not at full development even then.  You actually wonder where they go.  I wonder if there's a mine of talent out there of 25 year olds who could come in and belt the living daylights out of the 21 year old prima donnas who just happened to get their pubes at 11. 

Having an under 20's compettion and no real reserve grade favours the polynesian kids as they develop a lot earlier than the local white lads.

Probably why Fitzgerald suggested it in the first place knowing that parramatta has thousands of young polynesian kids in their juniors.

The trouble with the current system is that guys like Glen hall would never have been a star in under 20's and probably would have spent his career playing for some country team. 

The Jim Beam cup have been a dismal failure and there has to be heaps of Glen hall type players who have maybe given up the game or gone back to pay park footy when they could have been NRL standard. 

But then again David Gallop cannot stop players crapping in hallways of 4 star hotels so what hope have we got of getting the competitions right. 

Gallop should issue each player with a pooper scooper and a condom and get on with the administrative tasks he is supposedly so good at.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8