Sorry but I still call it Brookie....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Manly chairman Scott Penn insists home ground is called Lottoland, not Brookvale Oval
Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph
6 minutes ago
Subscriber only
Don’t mention the war. Or if you play for Manly don’t mention the “Battle of Brookvale”.

Instead Manly chairman Scott Penn has asked all his players and staff to prepare for the “Battle of Lottoland” this Saturday when the Sea Eagles host premiership favourites the Melbourne Storm.

The Daily Telegraph has obtained an official letter penned by Penn to all staff, which was then forwarded to every player banning them from referring to the club’s home ground as Brookvale Oval — demanding it be called Lottoland.

Stream the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership on KAYO SPORTS. Every game of every round Live & On-Demand on your TV, computer, mobile or tablet. Get your 14 day free trial >

f007b0dadc7f66868cac580920d7a514

If this happens again, the sponsors want to be part of the action.
Penn’s stipulation means Saturday afternoon’s Battle of Brookvale mark IIwill now, at least from Manly’s perspective, be known as the Battle of Lottoland.

MORE IN SPORT
3880e8a42eb2168a1858ee325f28086e

The real reason Brown walked away early
The real reason Brown walked away early

5ee61e62061b40daec94aa101fc2edbd

One coach leads three teams in three countries
One coach leads three teams in three countries
similars

The edict comes after Lottoland last week renewed and upgraded their sponsorship deal for naming rights of Manly’s home ground for at least another season in a new deal worth close to $500,000.

The Battle of Brookvale became part of NRL folklore following the 2011 Round 25 brutal encounter between Manly and the Storm in which an all-in-brawl erupted leading to sin bins and a $50,000 fine.

Referring to that infamous match by any other name is not likely to go down when with locals, however, Penn is prepared to cast aside Brookvale Oval’s rich history for sponsorship dollars.

a8cedb2541ce456e737e940e929d04de

9a6cd534b1dca3e5c305ff05584d36e0

The letter sent to Sea Eagles staff, reminding them of their responsibilities.
In his letter calling on all staff and players to call the club’s home ground Lottoland, Penn wrote: “On the back of this great news for the club, it is an opportune time to provide this friendly reminder to all staff and players regarding the importance of each and every one of us always referring to our home ground as LOTTOLAND and not ‘Brookvale Oval’, ‘Brookie’ and anything else other than LOTTOLAND, which is the official name of the venue.

“I perfectly understand our historical ties to the name ‘Brookie’ and have been prone to the occasional slip up myself, however LOTTOLAND pay a significant fee for the exclusive naming rights to the venue and deserve recognition as a loyal sponsor of the club.

LISTEN! On the Matty Johns podcast, Matty lets fly on the crisis engulfing his former club the Newcastle Knights, and the team look at the best NRL rivalries and recall some of their favourite interview moments.

You can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, on Spotify or Google Podcasts.

“The fee they pay goes directly into the day-to-day running of the organisation including, but not limited to, everything from salaries through to equipment and running of home games, etc.

“As representatives of the club, it is our job to drive the rights and benefits of our partners from within, hence why it’s so important that we are driving the conversation, particularly with the media and our members and fans.

“If we’re calling our home ground anything other than LOTTOLAND in the media, then our members and our fans will too.

“We are still passionate about our heritage and history at the ground; however, we need to do the right thing by our partners at LOTTOLAND and keep them front and centre.”

b5f8d67ea2362503a1166942b940242a

Scott Penn is doing right by them people who financially support the club. Photo: Mark Evans/Getty Images
Manly forward Corey Waddell followed the script this week when discussing the Storm game.

“I’m expecting Lottoland to be packed out,” Waddell said. “It will be another big game against Melbourne at Lottoland, it’s going to be pretty exciting.”

Centre Brendan Elliot added: “It’s going to be a big test, especially at Lottoland.”

There was no suggestion in Penn’s letter that players would be fined for not saying Lottoland.

Penn concluded by writing: “ I thank you in advance for keeping this top of mind and leading the way in ensuring everyone is using the correct name when referring to our home ground … LOTTOLAND.

“Go Manly!”

COMMENTS

No probs with that, it's the way of the world, sponsors want bang for their buck and he's doing his job of keeping the sponsors happy, just got their name mentioned nine times in that "leaked' letter to the Telegraph.

Us fans can call it whatever we like and I'll be on the hill at Brookie come Saturday.

maybe ritchie can point out exactly where Penn 'demanded' lottoland be used and 'banned' the use of the word brookie as opposed to a friendly reminder on the said letter?

****ing monkey typists
Agree surely there is something better to report on that this. It is a fair enough request given the significant investment that Lottoland has made into the club

Agree surely there is something better to report on that this. It is a fair enough request given the significant investment that Lottoland has made into the club

I'm fully expecting any journos that conduct interviews with Manly players over the next few days to try their immature best to get our players to say Brookie. Probably about 5 or 6 identical questions in the same interview is my prediction.

Now, where's that tea cup, I have a storm to put in it?

Scott’s doing a lot of driving it seems. Is he in town? Will he be driving to Brookie on Saturday?

I'm fully expecting any journos that conduct interviews with Manly players over the next few days to try their immature best to get our players to say Brookie. Probably about 5 or 6 identical questions in the same interview is my prediction.

Now, where's that tea cup, I have a storm to put in it?

Considering the ground is in the suburb of Brookvale, good luck with sanctioning anyone for saying ‘Brookie’ anyway. No different to saying the Donkeys are playing in ‘Brissie’, or St Merge are playing in ‘the Gong’. The Slime will always play at WankBest though.

That letter is only to staff and players.....Always be Brookie to me also

In the letter Mr Penn says that if players and staff keep saying Brookie, the fans probably will as well.

I had a point, not sure what it was now but it's "Too late to delete Thursday" so I'm hitting reply.

@Woodsie I checked the spelling and punctuation for you and except for many dubious uses of commas and the word whilst, it wasn't too bad!

:giggle::speechless::angel:
Yes Penn's letter was fine, but check out this caption in the Tele story above - maybe they have they hired Gasnier or Anasta to help 'write' their articles
"Scott Penn is doing right by them people who financially support the club. Photo: Mark Evans/Getty Images"

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8