Post-Game Discussion Souths v Manly [Round 8, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Rabbitohs
Vs
Sea Eagles
40 Central Coast Stadium
29 Apr 2022 19:55
80th minute

Match Stats

Often in games against the good sides we know we've lost after 15 or 20 minutes, but after only 8 minutes??? Wow could be a new record!
After adjusting my expectations of a win, I was really impressed with Manly's effort and application. We should have led at halftime! And like last week v Sharks, almost got right back in the game late in the second half.
At one stage I was thinking Oh no, they'll put 50 on us and there goes the GF hoodoo.
But the remaining players put in a massive effort, and some great performances. This will give the side plenty to build on for sure. Pity about the 2 points but hey, it was character building :)

Game
*Jake needs to accept he is a ref target and err on the side of caution more, he is good for two 6 agains every game, some deliberate, a lot just dumb
Jake's ruck infringements just look too deliberate to not be on purpose. Dumb is the only word to describe them. Sure sometimes giving away a six again, is a better option than possibly letting in a try. Its Jake's decision making of when he feels the need to hold down which is being made to look dumb.

Game

Jake's ruck infringements just look too deliberate to not be on purpose. Dumb is the only word to describe them. Sure sometimes giving away a six again, is a better option than possibly letting in a try. Its Jake's decision making of when he feels the need to hold down which is being made to look dumb.
As bad as Marty, and Saab to a lesser extent, were tonight, I was really pi$$ed off with that repeat 6 on the 4th tackle that Jake gave away in the second half. We were right in the game at that point and I thought it was a key moment. We gave up a try on the back of the repeat set and a second one shortly after. Even though we fought hard till the end, we had really lost our chance of pulling it off at the point. The worst part was there was no need to do it. We were well set defensively and they were about 40 out. When you have one less player you cannot afford the luxury of giving up repeat sets and penalties.

Game

Marty's crabbing across the ruck infuriated me. As too, his ridiculous off load. 30 odd metres for an 850k prop (3 missed tackles).

This is why I can't agree we tried hard.

Saab was in at 20 odd metres most.of the game.

He would have only sent him to the bin if the penalty try was not awarded. You don't get both.
It's a stupid rule imo.
How often do we see a team get a player sent for a professional foul to prevent a try and then cough up a few more while he's in the bin?

Same as an 8-point try.
You get the penalty for the foul but there's no extra punishment for the player. If it's bad enough to deem an 8-point try why not a sin bin too?

It's like if it happens in goal it's ruled differently to in the field of play.

Last edited:
If you go and have a look at the play by play in the match centre on the NRL website, a lot of the 6 again giveaways that get attributed in here and on social media to Jake ... are not actually fouls committed by Jake.

Edit: there was one occasion on Friday during the 2nd half when the scores were close that we gave away a 6 again in our own half and the general consensus was "bloody hell Jake". But I had the live stats up on my laptop and glanced over to see that it wasn't a ruck infringement, but an inside the 10. The offender? None other than our captain, DCE. Now I'm not having a go at Cherry here because that's not the point of this. But it just goes to show that without the relevant information, blame can often go in the wrong direction.

Last edited:
Just finished watching the game, Marty was horrible, for a bloke trying to get another gig somewhere he ain’t trying to hard.

Saab NSW cup for him to get back some form and improve his all round game, has not built on his game from last season.

Impressed with Koula and Tippytoes, if Parker is out would be fantastic for Tippytoes to get a run in his preferred spot at left centre.

With Schuster back and Turbo next week along with Guaca bring on the Tigers..

The effort today was fantastic to stay in the game with 12 on the park.

Taupau hasn’t had one decent offload this year. That’s what made him so good in his earlier years.
Jake offers jack all on offense. Hindmarsh 2.0.
We are too flat footed when we spread the ball wide and end up losing metres. Have never looked threatening in attack. Schuster should definitely help.
Parker is courageous but is not an attacking centre. Does not break the line at all.
South’s have the players but are not in the same league as Melbourne or Penrith clinically. Would’ve been beaten by 40 if we played them down a man.

Taupau hasn’t had one decent offload this year. That’s what made him so good in his earlier years.
Jake offers jack all on offense. Hindmarsh 2.0.
We are too flat footed when we spread the ball wide and end up losing metres. Have never looked threatening in attack. Schuster should definitely help.
Parker is courageous but is not an attacking centre. Does not break the line at all.
South’s have the players but are not in the same league as Melbourne or Penrith clinically. Would’ve been beaten by 40 if we played them down a man.
Not really sure what Marty offers these days tbh...

Of all the dud calls by the referee tonight, my least favourite had to have been the "strip, six more to Souths" late in the game when the Bunny was crunched by Koula and Cherry and simply lost the ball. No stripping intention or motion at any stage.
I was seriously worried about my eyesight by that call. The Mansour knock on, the forward pass call to Garrick. And you knew when Ennis didn’t think it was forward after the replay, well you just know it’s not your night.

Last edited:
The send off can be justified it did look bad , it was a tackle that went wrong in the end , Any other weekend it’s not a send off , All the talk about what’s a send off and what’s not this week I believe contributed to that send off

No doubt

It's a good, brave performance but it's one that hurts. Just like last week, a winnable game but just glaring deficiencies and we got done. Pretty much played this whole game and last week's first half of the game with 12 man lol. And tonight you can say 11 man with how bad Marty was.

I was getting so hyped after every try we scored, it was just a representation of what the club is about, just pure guts and belief, and who else leading it but the old dogs DCE and Foz. Both are simply in outstanding form. I believe we are building to something, I feel we've been better in this back to back stretch against "good" teams compared to how we've been and we've faced obstacles during this period but still have shown commendable fight. We get troops back, jag some wins against lesser opposition again and then we can show that pure fight again in rounds 11 and 12 against parra and storm.

Boo

I hate refs.

Leading with 15 to go in the first half. Can't have that.

Penalty...6 again 6 again 6 again 6 again... try!

Ahhhh everything back to normal.

Agree with others about Marty, what a galactically stupid offload 90 seconds before halftime. Seriously, that's first year stuff, not a senior player move.

Agree with others about Jake. I mean, if he's not bright enough to realize having a nap on the players gets them a 6 again, can the coach at least tell him.

I thought we were doing ok until a couple of players shot not only themselves but the whole team in the foot.

Don’t understand why people are criticising Parker for not being fast enough to play outside Schuster. The point is that Schuster creates space, and Parker is our best back at hitting holes with strength and being direct. If you combine that with Garrick back on the wing you have a good combination of incisiveness and pace.

Don't think we'll see Lawton back for a while. The media will make sure of that.

https://twitter.com/nrlphysio
NRL PHYSIO

@nrlphysio

“Severity of injury shouldn’t influence punishment” applies in Lawton’s case, just not in the way those who usually use it intend. Horrible tackle, could’ve been career altering for ball carrier. They are the tackles that need to be harshly punished regardless of injury severity

8:23 PM · Apr 29, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

Don't think we'll see Lawton back for a while. The media will make sure of that.

https://twitter.com/nrlphysio
NRL PHYSIO
@nrlphysio

“Severity of injury shouldn’t influence punishment” applies in Lawton’s case, just not in the way those who usually use it intend. Horrible tackle, could’ve been career altering for ball carrier. They are the tackles that need to be harshly punished regardless of injury severity

8:23 PM · Apr 29, 2022·Twitter for iPhone
Jackson Hastings got 3 weeks for a Grade 2 dangerous throw earlier in the season, unfortunately Karl’s was worse. Grade 3 is 5 weeks, 4 with an early plea.

That’s the best we can expect.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8