Spud calls for even-handed justice and for NRL to rub out Friend and Seymour

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
sportRugby League18 Mar 09 @ 03:55pm by JASON AVEDISSIAN

Mark 'Spud' Carroll
FORMER Manly firebrand Mark Carroll is calling on the NRL to rub out Jake Friend and Brett Seymour for the next four weeks.

Double-demerit suspensions like the one handed down to Manly fullback Brett Stewart could be back on the NRL’s agenda today after the game’s governing body relented to pressure yesterday afternoon, electing to investigate the Friend (Roosters) and Seymour (Sharks) off-field indiscretions.

Double-demerit suspensions like the one handed down to Manly fullback Brett Stewart could be back on the NRL’s agenda today after the game’s governing body relented to pressure yesterday afternoon, electing to investigate the Friend (Roosters) and Seymour (Sharks) off-field indiscretions.

Have your say online below the article: Do you agree with Mark Carroll?

Friend has been charged with high-range drink-driving. The Roosters have already fined the young hooker $10,000.

Meanwhile, Seymour, has been stood down by his club following a drinking session with teammates in Cronulla on Sunday.

The NRL set a high precedent last week when Stewart was banned for four matches for being inebriated at Manly’s season launch on March 6. Manly were also fined $100,000, a figure they are appealing.

Carroll yesterday challenged the NRL to ban both players for the next month.

“I reckon they should get the same (as Stewart),” he said. “The (NRL) have set a precedent and should stick with it. They have a signed contract with the NRL and have brought the game into disrepute.”

Another ex-Manly star, John Gibbs, agreed with Carroll.

“If there’s any consistency, yes, they should be suspended,” Gibbs said.

Manly CEO Grant Mayer said he will keep an eye on the NRL’s verdict.

“It has nothing to do with the Sea Eagles,” he said.

Roosters coach Brad Fittler defended his club for not standing down Friend.

Sharks chief executive Tony Zappia said Seymour has let the club down.

“With current events in mind, it would be an understatement to say we are disappointed Brett has put himself in this position,” Zappia said. “He is obviously slow on the uptake, showing a lack of responsibility to himself, his teammates and to the club.”

* The Sea Eagles scheduled board meeting for last night has been postponed to April

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/spud-s-be-fair-call/

Please submit these via articles >> Submit Articles

niccipops link said:
[quote author=BErKeLEy_eAgLe link=topic=179719.msg213731#msg213731 date=1237362203]
spud for NRL ceo
Either spud or YouTube boy - can't decide.
[/quote]

I'd honestly start following netball or something if YouTube boy got a gig in the NRL.

It's bad enough he reckons he's a fan. If he actually ever got into a position where his stupid ramblings made an impact on the game....it would collapse in about 3 minutes and 54 seconds - or however long his sh*tty videos go for.

I'm not going to allow my hottie (YouTube boy) to view your post, Will. He's very sensitive and this might just send him over the edge.

Gotta give it to Zappia to have the balls to stand Seymour down. I wonder for how long though.

Would have preferred to see what the NRL (Gallop) will actually do.

OneEyedEagle link said:
Gotta give it to Zappia to have the balls to stand Seymour down. I wonder for how long though.

Would have preferred to see what the NRL (Gallop) will actually do.

They haven't stood him down for any games as yet. He could be back playing for the Sharks this weekend - Zappia will meet with Stuart tomorrow to decide when his ban is over...

It's unlikely though. And I agree, Zappia has made some tough, ballsy calls in the past few seasons. He's one of the quality new generation of CEOs. If we can't convince Mayer to stay, I'd love to see him at Manly. Problem is he just wants to go back to Parra. Whenever Fitzy leaves his post, Zapps will be in there quick as a flash.

Sounds like this is developing into a Zappia lovefest.  Just because he's keeping that leaky boat afloat doesn't mean he's the anointed one.  Plenty of adequate CEOs out there.  Anyway I love Spud.  Only two things wrong with the guy, he played for Souths and he was Crowe's love buddy.   

No wonder the Sharks are doing what they are told by dropping seymore straight away its because the NRL just bailed them out financially so they dont want to bite the hand that feeds them.

The good news about all this is that i dont think Stewart would be going down this overturning road with his legal team if they didnt think he has nothing to answer for in the assault case. If there was any chance of him doing the wrong thing there they would be shutting up and accepting the four match ban but i think the S/Assualt may have possibly been blown out of porportion and it is now looking like the four weeks was way too harsh.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8