State of Origin Trivia

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Manly have supplied both NSW and Qld with a number of players for Origin football since 1980. So, after countless minutes of painstaking research, here is the list of NSW and Qld players, by position, from Manly. Obviously some players will be named in multiple positions, such as Des Hasler who played half, 5/8, lock and off the bench for NSW.

All are in year order of their first appearance in Origin while playing for Manly.

New South Wales
Fullback:
Graham Eadie, Brett Stewart

Wing:
Michael O'Connor, Craig Hancock, John Hopoate, David Williams, Tom Trbojevic

Centre:
Phil Sigsworth, Michael O'Connor, Terry Hill, Jamie Lyon, Will Hopoate, Dylan Walker, Tom Trbojevic

Five-Eighth:
Alan Thompson, Cliff Lyons, Des Hasler, Jamie Lyon

Halfback:
Des Hasler, Geoff Toovey

Prop:
Geoff Gerard, Phil Daley, Ian Roberts, Mark Carroll, Brent Kite, Josh Perry, Jason King, Jake Trbojevic

Hooker:
Max Krilich, Ray Brown, Geoff Toovey

Second Row:
Les Boyd, Noel Cleal, Ian Roberts, Steve Menzies, Nik Kosef, Glenn Stewart

Lock:
Des Hasler, Nik Kosef, Ben Kennedy, Anthony Watmough, Jake Trbojevic

Bench:
Steve Martin, Alan Thompson, Ray Brown, Des Hasler, Noel Cleal, Geoff Toovey, David Gillespie, Steve Menzies, Nik Kosef, Anthony Watmough, Brett Stewart, Glenn Stewart, Jamie Buhrer, Tony Williams, Dylan Walker, Jake Trbojevic

Queensland
Fullback:
N/A

Wing:
John Ribot, Chris Close, Kerry Boustead, Dale Shearer, Danny Moore, Steve Bell

Centre:
Chris Close, Dale Shearer, Danny Moore, Steve Bell

Five-Eighth:
N/A

Halfback:
Daly Cherry-Evans

Prop:
Dave Brown, Martin Bella, Neil Tierney, Nate Myles

Hooker:
Matt Ballin

Second Row:
Paul McCabe, Bruce Walker, Paul Vautin

Lock:
Paul Vautin

Bench:
Paul Vautin, Dave Brown, Dale Shearer, Owen Cunningham, Daly Cherry-Evans

Five former Manly players / coaches have coached the Origin teams. Only Graham Lowe as Qld coach in 1991 and 1992 was coaching Manly at the same time as coaching Origin.

Frank Stanton, Ron Willey (NSW)
John McDonald, Graham Lowe, Paul Vautin (Qld)

Last edited:
I believe Steve Martin was on the bench in origin one but did not play
Was he at Manly then?

You could make a fair side out of that out couldn’t you??

In fact that should be another Trivia , pick the best Manly side from our Origin players !!

Interesting, but I'll give it a go. And to make it more interesting, I'll only pick players in positions they started games in during their Origin career.....

Brett Stewart, Dale Shearer, Michael O'Connor, Jamie Lyon, Kerry Boustead, Cliff Lyons, Geoff Toovey, Brent Kite, Max Krilich, Mark Carroll, Steve Menzies, Glenn Stewart, Paul Vautin. Bench - Des Hasler, Dave Brown, Anthony Watmough, Jake Trbojevic

Coach - Ron Willey.

I believe Steve Martin was on the bench in origin one but did not play
Was he at Manly then?

He is listed as a Manly player in the original game in 1980. Agreed I'm not sure he got on the field though. The NSW halfback that game was also their captain, Tommy Raudonikis ... and he played the full 80.

He is listed as a Manly player in the original game in 1980. Agreed I'm not sure he got on the field though. The NSW halfback that game was also their captain, Tommy Raudonikis ... and he played the full 80.
I knew he didn't play while listed, couldn't remember if he was still at Manly then .

I need to confirm it, but I believe Tom now has more hat tricks for NSW (2) than he does for Manly (1)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8