Stoppng clock in final 5 minutes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Brissie Kid

Bencher
Anyone know what the rule is with this stopping the clock in the final 5 minutes?

After Matai scored at 79:05 the ref called time off but when the video ref confirmed it as a try the clock started counting down again & Parra never got a kickoff.

But then there is this I just read.

The NRL's decision to stop the clock when the ball is out of play in the last five minutes of games has not only resulted in grandstand finishes to matches, but may also spell the end of golden point.

Wind the clock back to any time before this season and Manly would not have beaten Parramatta on Sunday,

with Sea Eagles centre Steve Matai crossing for the match-winning try against the Eels with 49 seconds left after referee Jared Maxwell had stopped the clock at the other end of the field for a goal-line dropout.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-stops-the-clock-and-the-golden-point-20140324-hvm1j.html

What is he saying? That if this new stop the clock rule wasn't in place Maxwell wouldn't have called for a replay of a high tackle on DCE?

Anyway if the NRL were serious about stopping the clock for the final 5 minutes why is it just drop outs and after a conversion?

If they are serious they should stop it after a try and not restart until the kickoff. Parra had 50 seconds left after Matai scored but Jamie used all the remaining time up.

But I still don't know why the last 5 minutes should be allowed to be counted differently to the first 75. But that's the NRL, there isn't a lot of logic to what they do to the rules anymore.

But here's Toddy's views on how good he is at rule changes instead of coaches.

"When the games are on the line like that and are going down to the wire you want to give teams every chance and you also want to give fans the opportunity to enjoy the spectacle," NRL head of football Todd Greenberg said.

"It has done exactly what we had hoped it would do, which is give more opportunities for both teams in that last five minutes. The Storm-Panthers game was a great example of that. The lead changed three times in the last five minutes.

"The changes we have been able to make are genuinely around the entertainment of the game and giving fans a great spectacle to watch."

Despite some criticism of the constant changes and tweaking of the rules, Greenberg said the NRL would continue to consider innovations that make the game more appealing to fans.

"Over the years the coaches have had a significant say in the way the rules are structures and there is no way in history a coach would have come up with that sort of rule change," he said.

"That is why I think we have done the right thing by taking a little bit more control of the game because we are an entertainment product and we have got to make sure that we continue to innovate. That is one of the great strengths of where the game is currently at."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-stops-the-clock-and-the-golden-point-20140324-hvm1j.html

The logic is a bit hard to follow. If they had kept the 2013 time off rules but extended the game time from 80 minutes to 85 minutes it would achieve the same close results as Toddy's formula. Play 80 minutes with time off or 85 with no time off the games are still the same length and result.

The worrying bit though is there is more to come from Toddy's crew even though the fans are all screaming out for the NRL to leave the rules alone.

we have got to make sure that we continue to innovate. That is one of the great strengths of where the game is currently at."

It's confusing. Parra should have had a chance to kick off after Stevie's try. The clock should stop as soon as a try is scored and not restarted until there is a kick-off. This should happen throughout the match, not just in the last five minutes.

Que :huh:

Killers goal took up all the 20 seconds that were left - clock stoppage or not.

Parra's kicker missed 6 points - why aren't they analyzing that FFS :dodgy:

dumb rule - why is the last 5 more important than the first 5?! The rule should be the same for 80 mins

He stopped the clock for the hayne injury not the drop out

Yeah because my understanding of the rules are that the clock is stopped in the last 5 mins between the time the conversion is taken and the kick off.

The ref also can stop the clock if the kicker is taking too long to take the conversion.

There is also a side rule that if Manly is taking the conversion then the clock is stopped from the time that Manly score a try until the kick off is received. :)

The players can be fined if they take too long on taking a kick as well. I think it is 90 seconds.

They can't set up for the kick whilst the play is being reviewed either.

The ref can stop the clock for injuries. After the bomb that lead to DCE being taken high, Hayne went down injured from his ankle Maxwell clearly says "Whilst there is an injury, can you please check that tackle for me"

Which is 100% within the rules and decisions can be changed if there was an infringement when it has been reviewed by the video ref.

I think the rule is, if there is no natural stoppage or injury then the play can not be reviewed for a penalty by the video ref, which is why players pretend to be injured.

In the last 5 they stop the play for the kick off etc, again the idea being to stop the players just in the lead from slowing the game down.

This constant drive to make things more entertaining is making it less entertaining. I am glad it helped us win but my heart only has so many beats, and these sorts of finishes just are not helping

I thought it was put in to stop time wasting. I did not think the clock would be stopped after a try.

Garts said:
I thought it was put in to stop time wasting. I did not think the clock would be stopped after a try.

Its a new rule for this year. They want more time of the ball actually in play. So they are bringing in rules to make sure that the clock is stopped so we get more minutes of actual football. The almighty $$$ wins again

I like the rule. Obv the clock restarts when killer is lining up for the conversion as that is 'a play' in footy.

Dunno why the rule isn't for the whole 80mins. Just testing it out I guess.

Nothing more frustrating than when you team is behind and the opposition walk at a snails pace back to the kickoff, scrum, winding the ol clock down.

But I realise that middle aged/old men shall shake their fists at the changes and reminisce about the good old days. :p :angel:

globaleagle said:
I like the rule. Obv the clock restarts when killer is lining up for the conversion as that is 'a play' in footy.

Dunno why the rule isn't for the whole 80mins. Just testing it out I guess.

Nothing more frustrating than when you team is behind and the opposition walk at a snails pace back to the kickoff, scrum, winding the ol clock down.

But I realise that middle aged/old men shall shake their fists at the changes and reminisce about the good old days. :p :angel:

We are never awarded the opportunity to walk slowly back to the kickoff, remembers the incident with Chris Hicks after taking a kick

There's no 'I' in team....but there is in 'stopping.'

lol, me so funny! :p

edit: cause the title is spelt incorrectly!

Its ridiculous, you can't have different rules for different periods of a match.

Whenever the ball goes dead the clock should stop, simple as that!

After a try, clock stops and restarts at the kickoff

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4