Storm star Ryan Hoffman wants the NRL to create a league version of cricket’s IPL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
MELBOURNE Storm star Ryan Hoffman wants the NRL to follow in the footsteps of cricket and create rugby league’s version of the Indian Premier League.

Read More

MELBOURNE Storm star Ryan Hoffman wants the NRL to follow in the footsteps of cricket and create rugby league’s version of the Indian Premier League.

Hoffman will captain Melbourne in
storm-surge1.jpg
this weekend’s inaugural NRL Auckland Nines, which has already proven a hit with both days at Eden Park sold out well in advance.

It is the first time NRL has experimented with the exciting nine-a-side format.

The Storm backrower is a fan of the Nines concept and would like to see it go further with every NRL player placed into an auction like in the hugely popular IPL.

Under his plan, teams would be sold off and made up of players from every NRL club to compete in a three-week tournament.

Although he conceded it would require a shorter NRL premiership season.

“I’d like to see the concept get bigger,” he said.

“Maybe in the future it could end up like the IPL where some wealthy business owners want to own a team and we put all the NRL players into an auction.

“You could to that and run the Nines for three weeks, which would be an exciting concept.

“But obviously you would need some give in the NRL season.”

The huge success of the Big Bash League has resulted in other sports looking to implement similar competitions to entice fans and sponsors.

Hoffman said the possibilities were endless and believed there was a huge potential to grow the game in non-traditional markets.

“I’d like to see maybe having two tiers with developing nations be a part of it,” he said.

“There could be an NRL tier and a developing nations tier.

“I want to see it go forward, but for that to happen there needs to be some leeway in the NRL season itself.”

If Hoffman’s plan is to be considered, a lot will depend on the success of the next two days — which will be broadcast live on Fox Sports.

All NRL teams remain unsure of the best tactics to implement in Auckland.

“When people thing of Nines, they usually think of it being free flowing with lots of outside backs,” Hoffman said.

“But I still think you’re going to have to do the basic rugby league things.

“You still need to get momentum and that go forward.

“I don’t think we’ll go too far away, but we’ll need to have a bit more ball movement and use that space.”

A Storm side missing the “big three” of skipper Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk will tackle Penrith and South Sydney today before clashing with the Dragons tomorrow.

“We’ve come up with some theories and some game plans on how we’re going to do stuff,” he said.

“We’re a bit lucky being one of the later games on the first days because we will get a chance to see how other teams are going about it.

“We may adjust but we have some plans in place.”

Nick Smart

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/storm-star-ryan-hoffman-wants-the-nrl-to-create-a-league-version-of-crickets-ipl/story-e6frf3sc-1226827660730

League is tribal, I would not want the Great Unwashed sullying our Eagle's Nest :cool:

Representative games already are a mixture of Players. Qld even have NSW born Players for instance.

He's tripping. We all fantasize over the amounts of cash IPL players get paid for doing very little. Is league a rich enough game to support such a rich concept? i dont think so

Won't happen.....can you imagine Manly paying DCE one Million dollars a year (this is the future I am talking about) allowing a charlatan side " The Wellington Wankers" to poach him for three weeks, run him ragged, not worry about injuries to him just so he can make a quick extra buck.

NO CHANCE

Look I applaud the BBL and the IPL for what they have created, and in fact I love watching the BBL and support the Brisbane Heat (the only non NSW team I go for....but makes sense considering I live there and started going to the games in year one) BUT the game of cricket is far far different to RL.

Sure you get a few hamstring injuries, and some of the fast bowlers have back problems but it's rare for serious injuries to occur.

And good luck to the young cricketers that get a few bucks from playing, most don't earn a cracker from the Shield games, and only about 25 are on a Cricket Australia contract.

Players like Ben Cutting / Chris Lynn will probably earn about $200K this financial year from the BBL / IPL....neither have played nor are likely to play for Australia where the big dollars are.

As a concept it sounds ok, but in reality a RL "IPL" type competition will never get off the ground.

Mark from Brisbane said:
Won't happen.....can you imagine Manly paying DCE one Million dollars a year (this is the future I am talking about) allowing a charlatan side " The Wellington Wankers" to poach him for three weeks, run him ragged, not worry about injuries to him just so he can make a quick extra buck.

NO CHANCE

Look I applaud the BBL and the IPL for what they have created, and in fact I love watching the BBL and support the Brisbane Heat (the only non NSW team I go for....but makes sense considering I live there and started going to the games in year one) BUT the game of cricket is far far different to RL.

Sure you get a few hamstring injuries, and some of the fast bowlers have back problems but it's rare for serious injuries to occur.

And good luck to the young cricketers that get a few bucks from playing, most don't earn a cracker from the Shield games, and only about 25 are on a Cricket Australia contract.

Players like Ben Cutting / Chris Lynn will probably earn about $200K this financial year from the BBL / IPL....neither have played nor are likely to play for Australia where the big dollars are.

As a concept it sounds ok, but in reality a RL "IPL" type competition will never get off the ground.

I agree with Mark...to big a risk where NRL is concerned. The nines comp is enough and if we include the world would be an excellent showcase of the greatest sport on earth. If DCE was to get injured I would probably not even want that to be honest as I wouldn't want our premiership chances crushed in an event like nines, well any event. I just jumped on the fence didn't I.....

Jethro said:

Read More

I want Melbourne to create the equivalent of a club with integrity. That won't happen either.

.....“Maybe in the future it could end up like the IPL where some wealthy business owners want to own a team and we put all the NRL players into an auction......

Yep, us wealthy business owners just hang around waiting to throw our money at stuff like this. lol

(and by us and our , I mean those and their)

I watched manly play the tigers at manly oval a few years back in a 20 20. Some players were good enough for a grade cricket I reckon. It's a big step though to send them to India and expect the footy players playing cricket to be able to compete with real cricketers and the existing ipl. Moronic concept from Hoffman, but stranger things have happened I suppose.

Of course an ageing player likes the idea of short form matches for big money. If only league was big in India he might be onto something.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8