Supposed "Crisis at Manly" Megathread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Ritchie and Rothfield are nothing but two pathetic Morons and Media Maggots . When they were growing up they missed the chance to invest in learning about character and credibility .

lsz said:
Best part of the daily beat up...players have not sacrificed money they have back ended it I.e they are still going to recieve the money, but as Ritchie puts it, missed the chance to invest in real estate
Ritchie and Rothfield are nothing but two pathetic Morons and Media Maggots . When they were growing up they missed the chance to invest in learning about character and credibility .

So does this article mean that our great captain Jamie Lyon is not part of our successful team. Or Matt Ballin, Wolf, Kitey etc.

I wonder how Skivvy's career would have panned out if he had accepted the big money offer from the sharks a few years ago.

Maybe they have taken unders, but in return they have premiership rings. Interesting comment about the Real Estate, I saw Bretts Seaforth home up for sale recently, so it seems this journalist at least has flat out lied about not being able to buy Real Estate.

I don't think they have been or are being greedy and I haven't seen any comment here saying that, but if they want a big pay day then go, when your current contract expires.

Just wondering what sort of real estate they missed out on.

$3mil after tax equates to less than $1.6mil. Divided that by the 5 players and you get less than $320k each.

Can't even buy a decent house in Junee for that.

My point is Dean Ritchie is an absolute flogger of the highest order.

edit: amounts

The Wheel said:
Have they ever heard of getting a home loan?

But the interest has been so incredibly exorbitant these last few years :s

I bet our merchandising department is glad they got everyone's cc details for those Jerseys before all this rubbish started spewing forth.

My question to Peters - who I believe recently posted and joined under a new pseudonym, especially when you read some of the "sources" comments - what is your plan for the club if you are successful in your clear ambition to tear it down?

On a separate note @RiverEagle I disagree with your comments comparing Menzies and Stewart to Matais situation. Matai is still contracted, they're contract was up. If indeed the Warriors have tabled an offer, as so many are postulating, then they are in serious breach of the rules.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
XV-1 said:
I think they should grant Matai a release if a true 4 year deal is on the table from the Warriors -
Such an offer would be illegal and an inducement to break a current contract. Which is why the Warriors are suddenly (and at last) making noises about not wanting Matai, and why Hasler said tonight he couldn't chase Snake.

Obviously such inducements are being bandied about 'informally', but now it is in the media spotlight clubs are being forced to say 'oh noo, not us, we didn't really do that'.

Spot on SeaEagleRock8. The body language of Hasler in his latest interview says it all.

Clubs aren't allowed to make official offers to players, but there is nothing stopping them having 'informal chats' where things like how much the rival club 'might' be able to pay for them if they are ever interested.....nudge nudge wink wink.....

With so many players having friends at other clubs it is easier to get around the no poaching ban than most would think. So long as no official approach is made then basically the NRL and the players current club are powerless as no law has been broken.

For argument sake, it wouldn't take much for say...Des to ring Snake just to talk to an old mate and during the conversation slip in that they might be interested in signing him 'if' he ever wanted out of Manly (along with a round-about indication of how much they might be willing to pay and for how long). Basically an unofficial offer disguised as an informal chat between mates. How is anyone going to prove there was ever an offer at that point in time?

But if Snake, Skivy or Choc do get granted a release from Manly, you watch how long it takes for official offers from other clubs to be tabled. I doubt it would take very long. And from what we've been reading, it would seem at least one suitor (the Warriors) pretty much have one in place ready to go.

voicefromthehill said:
I bet our merchandising department is glad they got everyone's cc details for those Jerseys before all this rubbish started spewing forth.

On a separate note @RiverEagle I disagree with your comments comparing Menzies and Stewart to Matais situation. Matai is still contracted, they're contract was up. If indeed the Warriors have tabled an offer, as so many are postulating, then they are in serious breach of the rules.

A very fair point here, mate.

It is a breach, or inducement, so I don't know what the protocol or repercussions are with that.

Perhaps in the end, that will decide the matter anyway.

(And...The monies for my Community jersey have not been debited from my acc as yet?? Despite ALL this disharmony, I still want one...Will ring back)

lsz said:
Best part of the daily beat up...players have not sacrificed money they have back ended it I.e they are still going to recieve the money, but as Ritchie puts it, missed the chance to invest in real estate

I literally LOL'd when I read that bit of the article. What a complete and utter moron.

G'day all,Well we certainly have a unholy mess on our hands at the moment don't we.Even if we assume that a fair amount is unsubstantiated speculation or just pure media fluff,to me there is still a great deal of at best selective amnesia,pure hypocrisy and outright lies being bandied about.
The supposed badmouthing of players by management. Can someone show me a quote of this or have I missed something because i'm at a loss about that.Conversely I've seen player interviews questioning the role of management,but as I say maybe I've missed something.
Anyone who as ever played the game knows the value to a team of a player who has the innate ability, or if you prefer mongrel,to intimidate the opposition by his mere presence,and to me Steve Matai has been that player for us.I love the way he has played for us even when he may have sailed a bit close to the wind at times and as I've said before I wouldn't begrudge him a big payday elsewhere.
Steve is quoted as saying that he was tabled an offer from the warriors as a reason to seek early release,while the warriors deny that any offer was made,so someones telling porkies.As I obviously don't know the facts of the matter i can only speculate myself,but i'm sure Toddy and his honcho's are all over it?
Another thing I've touched on before was the manner in which Kitey was forced to leave the club .Never met the bloke but by all accounts a thorough gentleman and fine clubman who didn't want to leave either.I would imagine he was pretty gutted too but I don't recall any massive histrionics by other players in his support,even though you could argue he was an important part in the building of this" current culture" as well.
I also recall the great angst as the Brett Stewart contract saga kept going on and on last year as we all waited to hear that great news that he had resigned with us.It took a while but we all rejoiced at his resigning after what seemed an interminable amount of time due to various sticking points,but there was never any suggestion that by negotiating the best deal for himself was in anyway an effect on Kitey's retention,my point being that it is a bit unfair to now suggest that other players can't negotiate similarly.
cheers mike

As an aside, did anyone here believe dog$ler when he said he wasn't chasing Brett.

In the past I have been just plain disappointed in dog$ler, but I am rapidly developing a genuine dislike of the mongrel.

Sad if these players go but thats life we have a good squad of promising players that want to play at the club , they are probably jumping out of their for a crack at the big time.

RiverEagle said:
Oh @globaleagle

Told you I didn't want to dive into these threads! (Once you're in, very hard to swim out).

However @Ramrod a good business-model incorporates human resource management. Including compassionate grounds for employees.

Just as every player's contract is unique, so too should be their exit plan, or potential exit plan.

To think that if Skivy, for example, being released a year early to take up a 4mill-deal, would see mass exodus is alarmist and naive.

And you Ramrod were the one saying last week that Matai wasn't all that valuable (,to Manly) and should get to 200 games before throwing his market-value weight around, where you not?

Now he's invaluable and pivotal to Manly's business and ethical profile. Or just to suit your argument this week, more precisely.

His age and our plans beyond 2015 would not see us offering him millions for 3 years. If that sort of offer is available to him now, when it may not be after next year (if he stays) we should consider letting him go home, on compassionate grounds.

That enhances both our business-profile and moral or ethical blueprint too.

And whether he leaves soon or in a year, he will leave, or retire (just like Beaver for example). And then we have to replace him like we do with every aging player.

Oh, and what you, I or the Prime Minister earns is irrelevant. Sporting stars are paid relative to what their industry or field can pay; same as every occupation or profession.

And again, the bottom line for me is Skivy has earned the right to be at least heard out on this release-issue.

He is a legend. (We told Beaver no, not one more year. We didn't even offer Gift another year either). This time it's Skivy saying no, not one more year please , from his side of the table.

And don't forget the money we'd save can go on other, younger players; even towards re-signing Chez if they choose.

I would NEVER say Matai is "invaluable".
It would contradict why I would want Manly to keep him.
Skivy is awesome and I would want him to stay.

Somehow, you're very keen to get rid of Skivy so that younger or other players can be signed.

I still disagree with you.

Ex-Manly players that have left and went for more money elsewhere only to regret it and went on the media to say that they wished they had stayed (eg. Shearer, Ridge, etc.).

I'm ONLY doing Matai a favour by telling him he should stay. He will only regret it.
This is my long term version of Human Resource management and player welfare. I don't want him to look back with regrets and end up with depression for wearing another jersey.

You are wrong again. :)

It keeps on coming. Now Foz is weighing in with his 2c worth

Manly five-eighth Kieran Foran has conceded player contractual issues are afflicting the NRL competition leaders and has called for Sea Eagles management to allow centre Steve Matai to make a big money move to the Warriors.

Matai has requested a release from the final year of his current contract with Manly to take up a four-year deal with the Warriors starting next season reported to be worth around $2.5 million.

Brett Stewart and Anthony Watmough also reportedly want out of their contracts at Brookvale, with Foran admitting at training on Thursday resentment still runs deep between the playing group and management over their refusal to offer Glenn Stewart a contract extension earlier this year.

Glenn Stewart, 30, has since signed with South Sydney for next year.

"I guess there are issues to be sorted," Foran said.

"I think the club underestimated Glenn Stewart's departure and we said all along 'Gif' was a massive part of building this culture here and as players we probably felt that he deserved a contract put in front of him.

"I guess all the boys are mates with him and they are probably disappointed.

"I wouldn't say there is disharmony, our results have shown on the field that we are getting on good here.

"But I believe there are issues higher up than just the playing group.

"Whether or not that (the salary cap) was the reason Glenn was forced out I am not so sure."

Foran has also been linked to a move, but the star Kiwi playmaker said he would see out his contract at the club, which ends next year.

However Matai wants out at the end of 2014 and Foran said the club should let him go.

"I think so," he said.

"In Stevie's situation I believe he has taken unders for a lot of years to stay at this club and if he can now set his family up and get a big money contract elsewhere I think the club should assess that."

Foran was confident the internal ructions were not a distraction as Manly push towards their 10th successive finals appearance ahead of their round 20 clash with the Warriors in Auckland on Sunday.

"It is just about the boys getting on with things and having the best year we can possibly have," he said.

"Everyone is getting on good, it is just a case of there are issues there that need to be sorted."

The Manly board on Wednesday night moved to assure Sea Eagles fans that they "fully supported" the honouring of contracts, publicly stating they won't grant any requests for early releases from the NRL club.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/manly-should-release-steve-matai-says-kieran-foran-20140724-zwc0d.html#ixzz38LqpKBVd

I am afraid this is not a "supposed" crisis. It is the real thing.
The most chilling line I think from the article was this "Whether or not that (the salary cap) was the reason Glenn was forced out I am not so sure."
That shows to me a very deep distrust in the club

Chip and Chase said:
It keeps on coming. Now Foz is weighing in with his 2c worth

Manly five-eighth Kieran Foran has conceded player contractual issues are afflicting the NRL competition leaders and has called for Sea Eagles management to allow centre Steve Matai to make a big money move to the Warriors.

Matai has requested a release from the final year of his current contract with Manly to take up a four-year deal with the Warriors starting next season reported to be worth around $2.5 million.

Brett Stewart and Anthony Watmough also reportedly want out of their contracts at Brookvale, with Foran admitting at training on Thursday resentment still runs deep between the playing group and management over their refusal to offer Glenn Stewart a contract extension earlier this year.

Glenn Stewart, 30, has since signed with South Sydney for next year.

"I guess there are issues to be sorted," Foran said.

"I think the club underestimated Glenn Stewart's departure and we said all along 'Gif' was a massive part of building this culture here and as players we probably felt that he deserved a contract put in front of him.

"I guess all the boys are mates with him and they are probably disappointed.

"I wouldn't say there is disharmony, our results have shown on the field that we are getting on good here.

"But I believe there are issues higher up than just the playing group.

"Whether or not that (the salary cap) was the reason Glenn was forced out I am not so sure."

Foran has also been linked to a move, but the star Kiwi playmaker said he would see out his contract at the club, which ends next year.

However Matai wants out at the end of 2014 and Foran said the club should let him go.

"I think so," he said.

"In Stevie's situation I believe he has taken unders for a lot of years to stay at this club and if he can now set his family up and get a big money contract elsewhere I think the club should assess that."

Foran was confident the internal ructions were not a distraction as Manly push towards their 10th successive finals appearance ahead of their round 20 clash with the Warriors in Auckland on Sunday.

"It is just about the boys getting on with things and having the best year we can possibly have," he said.

"Everyone is getting on good, it is just a case of there are issues there that need to be sorted."

The Manly board on Wednesday night moved to assure Sea Eagles fans that they "fully supported" the honouring of contracts, publicly stating they won't grant any requests for early releases from the NRL club.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/manly-should-release-steve-matai-says-kieran-foran-20140724-zwc0d.html#ixzz38LqpKBVd

It's not looking good

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12