Suspension news

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The club must look to schedule as many trials as possible for next season to knock off the end of Glenn's and part of this

The suspension earlier in the year did not help him. Just adds to carry overs. Because it was late and off the ball, it is reckless rather than careless. Careless would have been 3 weeks.

He will miss this week, and 2 trial matches, then another 4 NRL games.

Glenn should be back for Round 1, Matai round 5. I guess with King missing, Perry will start. Mauro or Palau will be on the bench.

http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsarticle/tabid/10874/newsid/60097/matai-faces-7-9week-ban/default.aspx

posted at 2.30 today

=

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles centre Steve Matai faces the longest suspension for an NRL player this season and will miss the Four Nations tournament for New Zealand in October after being slapped with a 7-9-week suspension today.

The NRL Match review Committee today charged Matai with a grade three reckless high tackle on a Michael Ennis in the 50th minute of yesterday's loss to the Bulldogs. He will miss seven weeks if he takes the early plea.
Matai's teammates Jason King and Chris Bailey were also both charged grade one careless high tackles, but neither will miss a game with an early plea.

The South Sydney Rabbitohs Dave Taylor was also charged with a grade one careless high tackle in last night's loss to the Dragons but will escape suspension.

Nthn NSW link said:
This year it is the norm for teams to be coached to take a dive and act like they're dying if even brushed high

Just like Ben Kennedy a few years ago....

7 is harsh for mattai,They are trying to end his carreer although he has had input into that as well. kings was not that bad.Iff conn got 1 week and king ggets 1 week the system is rooted. Bailys was worse and if you have a look at the game baily had just taken another head of only a couple of tackles early. I thought he may have had to answer for 2 charges

matai and lyon were our best this year.matai has a dig every time

BUT

we just forked out a lot of cash for a guy who will get 8 weeks plus for any bad shot next year.luke odonnell is an example of where this is heading.

no matter what way you spin it,his shot on ennis was a disgrace,was unprofessional  and showed no respect for his team or team mates.the lack of discipline in our side is unheard of in recent memory.it is not the manly way.

i love his attitude 90% of the time but if he is not reined in he will be a huge liability given our salary cap position.if he were an opponent he would be drawn and quartered on here.

time to act like a professional steve.you are a great player.forget the ****.

Dan Dresden link said:
\"SO Matai will miss next week, 3 tri nations games and 3 trials.\"

The Kiwis won't pick Matai in their squad given he can't take to the field.

Therefore Matai won't be able to count the NZ team's games as part of his suspension.

If Manly don't win this week, Matai will still be out for 6 Manly games in 2011.

It's a shame Darrell Williams isn't a selector for NZ still he might have done as favour and selected Steve for the following games
NZ Maori vs England
NZ vs Samoa
NZ vs England
NZ vs PNG
NZ vs Australia

Then Steve would be free to play next season

Dan link said:
he will have to take the early, I can't see him having any excuse for that hit
Get that lawyer to have look at it. I confess at first viewing it looks bad and I thought to myself, hhmmm, he might get sent here.

But at closer inspection the fact he came from the blind side, while making it worse of course in some ways, also hid the fact Ennis had got rid of the ball? Maybe? Could be room for a downgrade.  
No ?  Aw, &%*&*

Copa Eagle link said:
are trial games regarded as games that come under suspension bracket ?

no

I think Watmough used a reserve grade game to get out of suspension early a few years ago though

Trial games are included.

And I agree Susan, love his atitude and fervour BUT he's just going to have to change his ways otherwise the enxt one will be 15-16 weeks

Only the 2 'official' trial matches are included in the suspension. That is why Glenn Stewart will be available in round 1 next year. Matai will soak up 3 matches for us (this week, and the 2 trials next year). I'm just hoping the 4 New Zealand matches will also count towards his suspension so that he will also be back in round 1 rather than round 5 next year.

I agree with Sue, really poor form from both Stewart and Matai. 2 senior player put on stupid (and most definately avoidable) hits and copped lengthy suspensions. It is beyond stupid for any player to do that at any stage of the season, but two senior player just before the finals when the team is stuggling big time with injuries and poor form is just ridiculous. The club should punish them both!

King really should have fought his charge from a few weeks ago, i knew it'd come back to bite him.

Matai needs his cornrows loosened or something.

Des needs to teach some different tackling/focus techniques

matai isnt getting picked for nz so he will lose this weeks plus 2 trials and the first 4 weeks 2011....dickhead fuc*wit...should have let him go

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4