Taking that extra step

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

simon64

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Over the past month or so, I've really noticed an increase in the number of players who firstly struggle in a tackle, then instead of standing on the mark to play the ball, take a step or two forwards and then put the ball down.

The major problem is the tacklers, who jump up and try and take their place at marker are struggling to get there and consequently are getting pinged for either not being "square" or getting tangled up with the player playing the ball.

If only one of the pinkies would penalise the attacking player for making it impossible for the tackler to get to marker.

Souffs are serial offenders in this area. It was really obvious at Bluetongue and it hasn't gotten any better since.

Anyone else notice this ?

Yep I've commented on it after we played Souffs how much they get away with that crap. Once again refs are too piss weak to penalise the clubs who are exploiting their ineptitude.

Yeah - walking off the mark, used to be penalised, now appears to be acceptable. Total joke.

You will hear refs yell to the guy playing the ball sometimes, "You've shortened it". Then they will be more lenient on the defence line, and generally won't give a penalty if the dummy half scoots from there and is tackled by someone "Not back the ten". They will also occasionally allow the markers to not be exactly square either if the tackled player is deemed to have walked forward off the mark. Sadly..it comes down to the ref himself as to how he'll rule.

Last weekend, a penalty was blown when the Souffs player moved to the left when playing the ball. The rooters players were pinged for not being square. Total joke. Watch the hand ups this Friday night for the darlings. Luckily, both us and the rooters are disliked by the men in pink.

Bulldogs are the masters of this tactic , epecially Perrett and Inu. This takes the markers out of play and gives the illusion that the defensive line is inside the 10 metres as well. Perrett often breaks into a jog as well after he plays the ball to give the illusion of the markers being even more offside. I'd love to see this tactic penalised. My other pet hate is that forward passes from dummy half are ignored. I lost count of the number of forward passes by Ennis against the Broncos last Thursday that were ignored by the officials.

DSM5 said:
Last weekend, a penalty was blown when the Souffs player moved to the left when playing the ball. The rooters players were pinged for not being square. Total joke. Watch the hand ups this Friday night for the darlings. Luckily, both us and the rooters are disliked by the men in pink.

yep, remember this one clearly. Very bad call.The refs have allowed this to creep into the game but will be all up in arms if they are crucified for this. If the media latch on, some team will pay dearly as well for there lack of applying the rules, and nothing more

It dead set ****s me , most props make more yards after they are tackled than before. It is a joke

Ive also noticed a new interpretation in the markers given lattitude to clear the ruck. Currently there seems to be none

It gives sides artificial momentum and disadvantages good defence.

I can't see the gutless pinkies doing anything about it......especially given their darling Souffs are the serial offenders.

This is a timely thread as i was only talking to my rooster friend about it on Friday night.

I said watch how when inglis gets tackled he rolls, either to the side or even forward. I actually saw him in one match do a forward roll and then play the ball and get away with it! Of course the markers weren't anywhere near the play and luke took advantage.

A total joke with inglis the main offender. It seems maguire has coached souths to use this tactic in games even more than other teams. Of course maguire is a storm coaching product & it shows with their new found dirty style.

Souths are a protected species who can get away with this ploy and their usual niggle.

• 👍
Reactions: Dan
JWH is another serial offender. Usually players the ball several metres forward from where he was tackled. I think the main advantage is in taking the markers out of play. Which is a bloody significant advantage.

I seriously think many refs are intimidated by some players.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
JWH is another serial offender. Usually players the ball several metres forward from where he was tackled. I think the main advantage is in taking the markers out of play. Which is a bloody significant advantage.

I seriously think many refs are intimidated by some players.

Well have you seen the size of JWH vs most refs. "It's alright sir - you play the ball where you want Mr Heargraves sir"

He's pretty big, no question. But the refs have made a rod for their own backs by condoning disrespectful and even sometimes semi-hysterical approaches by players, half the time who aren't even the captain.

At some stage the refs will make a stand (or be ordered to make a stand) about this sort of thing. But it's anyone's guess as to when.

There was a classic moment I saw replayed on one of the tv shows this week, a ref was lecturing Ennis about his team giving away too many penalties and Ennis said, with a totally straight face, 'thank you for your feedback, sir'. It was pretty funny.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
At some stage the refs will make a stand (or be ordered to make a stand) about this sort of thing. But it's anyone's guess as to when.

Yes, but it will be Foz that they take it out on....

g'day all,i would really like to see refs enforce the rules as rigidly to the man carrying the ball as they do to the defence.If they are penalising infringements such as hand on the ball,holding on to long,markers not square surely its not unreasonable to expect a similar level of responsibility in regards to moving off the mark and playing the ball properly(whatever happened to the crackdown on not playing the ball with your foot),watch that Sam Moa for the chooks he doesn't even motion his foot near the ball most of the time but i 've never seen him penalised.And while i'm at it how about getting rid of the ridiculous stripping rule which in my opinion has only helped to add to the wrestle as in my day first bloke low second if needed over the top locking up the ball or being able to take the ball whereas now they have to contain the man who still has the right to promote the ball but the defenders can't touch it.
cheers mike

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4