Team of 2008 was one of the best!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

simon_eagle

Reserve Grader
Thaiday can say what he wants, but has there been a more comprehensive end to the season as Manly in 2008?

Finals Week 1: Manly 38 St. George Ill 6
Finals Week 3: Manly 32 Warriors 6
Grand Final: Manly 40 Melbourne 0

... over the 3 finals games we had a combined score of 110-12.

Last edited:
Fun fact, Matt Orford was the first Dally M winner since Peter Sterling in 1986 to win the Grand Final the same year he received the Dally M award.

I hate when people bring up the fact c.smith didn't play, he couldn't of done anything that day! we were perfect! especially considering we beat a salary exceeding team 40-0
I think to his credit, even Cam has suggested as much when asked about this.

My biggest disappointment was missing this game live.

I was there for '97, '07, '11, '13 but was overseas in '08. Will never live it up!

The 08 team had a great final series and they were driven to avenge the previous years defeat by the drizzle, that has to be one of the most satisfying days to see them obliterate the team the humiliated us the year earlier.

It was also special for me as it was a sign that the club was really back after only a few years earlier we were nearly an extinct species.

I don't know who else was there in 2007 but after that and the **** we copped from random idiots at the game, everything about the 2008 final series was fantastic. I thought their effort against the Warriors would be hard to top but that second half of the GF was just amazing. They put the whip away early so you were actually able to sit there and savour it.

That 08 series was amazing. The ruthless way we destroyed opponents was awe inspiring. Let's not forget either that the dragons had been our bogey team for many years, so playing them in round 1 was fraught with danger. I was very worried about that game, and we just obliterated them.

I think to his credit, even Cam has suggested as much when asked about this.

My biggest disappointment was missing this game live.

I was there for '97, '07, '11, '13 but was overseas in '08. Will never live it up!

I am so thankful I got to witness that day for having so many tough events personally in my life so far.I will never forget that day and one of the sweetest feelings ever.

Sitting up the northern end and sitting on the side Beaver scored and seeing it live right in front of me that was a moment I will never forget!!

Then at full time WOW!! Hearing Eagle rock blast out and everyone around singing it .. brought tears in my eyes.

When you consider Storm's team contained Inglis, Falou, Slater, Cronk . . . that 40-nil win was an amazing performance, and I was lucky to have incredibly good seats, thanks to the generosity of a corporate friend.

In '08 I was working for a Mineral Exploration Co in the NT.
I asked the boss Geo if I could come back to camp & watch the game.
He said a chopper will be coming back at that time, get on it.
I missed the chopper & drove 2 hours on a rough track to camp & watched the 2nd half.
Well worth the drive.:)

Souths team of 2014 is biggest ruse of all time.

Crowe and Packer paid for a premiership, we can see now just how much help they got. They are probably one of the worst teams in NRL post origin 2015.

Wonder what is cost them to get the Pride Of The Leauge their last ever premiership.

Crowe and Packer paid for a premiership, we can see now just how much help they got. They are probably one of the worst teams in NRL post origin 2015.

Wonder what is cost them to get the Pride Of The Leauge their last ever premiership.

And as I tell my Souths supporting friends well done last year and now you wait another 43 years to your next chance at a title :):)

It all went their way in 2014, you just knew after we surprised them in 2013, and the Rorters had their win that the " pride of the league" was always going to win.

The NRL, chan 9, and the refs all worked in tandem to see it happen.

Be bloody funny if it was another 43 years before it happened again.

Last edited:
Loved the turn out of the fans during that final series, nothing but a sea of maroon and white. Geez Menzies was still playing awesome footy and that Robertson was an underated player. Been heaps of talk about the roosters rorting the cap but looking back to our sides of 2008 and 2011, even 2013 we had a pretty star studded team - plenty of people use to think that about us.

Our side looked so young then and injury free

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8