The 1% ers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
forward dominance , momentum dominance, same thing

Our forwards are far from perfect , but what we want from forward packs is to fight for every inch of ground and as quickly as they can to repeat. Post contact metres, play the ball speed, etc etc but we want them to care about every metre. Its a game of inchies

This is the kicking issue we have , we happily surrender ground to kick from a sheltered position. We are not winning enough ground or ball for this to be a tactic we should persist with. We need a kicker , prepared to get out there, take the ball to the line from anywhere in the field and kick. It cant happen all the time , and we need to implement some structure , that allows that to not be an easy read.

Apart from adding another 10 m , you take your line with you, keeping them alert and making it harder for fullbacks and wingers to pick there spot in case of a defensive mis read that leaves your kicker in the open.

Not using the up and under as much and kicking low more often with accuracy also leaves the kicker at times in the play as a penalty magnet, as is possible when you get around the ruck defence

This tactic is really important if we want to play a forward dominant game. I think if we got this part of our game in Order we could change our fortunes, but just expecting everyone to go harder instead of using the field better. The kickers that do this are the golden geese, everything else they bring is bonus

If you’re talking about the 1%ers,how about a bit of pressure on the opposition kicker.Too many times the opponents kicker has about a week to put a kick anywhere they like,is it any wonder our wingers finish a game with PTSD from the high ball

Last edited:
If you’re talking about the 1%ers,how about a bit of pressure on the opposition kicker.Too many times the opponents kicker has about a week to put a kick anywhere they like,is it any wonder our wingers finish a game PTSD from the high ball
The reality is that the top teams and genuine premiership contenders are all doing the 1%ers better across the board .

When our 1 % and discipline is so bad. You do have to look at our captains and coaching staff.

As a general rule it's not the newbie letting the team down. Its our so called leaders.

Good points and 100% accurate, this is also why the opposition have almost the perfect kicking game against Manly, the momentum in the tackles leading up to the kick and their kicker is on the front foot with time to pick his space and options and lets add, the kick chase is already at full speed for the same reasons = tough field position once we take the ball and the rerstart are getting pummelled by rushing defenders..
I actually though our defence at times was great against Storm and they kicked out of ugly area's with Garrick and Taufua often returning to the half way line....then followed by Manly dropping the ball or penalised for a dumb obstruction so turning the ball over cheaply, against Storm more than ANY team, this is footy suicide.
Agreed the attack, often a snails pace with 1 out lumbering up field and after struggling with gaining any momentum, kicking on the backfoot and again, thought DCE actually kicked well finding space Friday night, considering some messy situations due to the build up, still unsure why not a few more shifts left as Seve and his winger were struggling to number up EVERY time..
Still find more than anything with these 1% plays, there is 1 and 2 in a tackle (short on numbers) to dominate and "legally" slow the play ball, which is why the opposition Win penalties, or worse still, play touch footy with the play ball speed....on the flip side in attack, again 1 out and no support pushing up, making the ball runner an easy target and dominated...frustrating but I expect more of the same - please suprise us .....

Absolutely a big part of our issues, just no urgency, no attention to detail and not a lot of pride in their work.

The litmus test of a teams character is what what happens with a lose ball on the ground.

Our players barely respond, says it all really.

It’s been a problem for a long time, and is purely on the coach to drum in and the senior players to set the bar and lead by example.

Foran is the only one who does it

If you’re talking about the 1%ers,how about a bit of pressure on the opposition kicker.Too many times the opponents kicker has about a week to put a kick anywhere they like,is it any wonder our wingers finish a game with PTSD from the high ball
It’s like we are scared to go anywhere near them I watched then gently approach Hughes on Thursday night , no pressure more like going up and asking if he would like a cup of tea , terrible
U can’t tackle them in the air but u can get up and interfere

Absolutely a big part of our issues, just no urgency, no attention to detail and not a lot of pride in their work.

The litmus test of a teams character is what what happens with a lose ball on the ground.

Our players barely respond, says it all really.

It’s been a problem for a long time, and is purely on the coach to drum in and the senior players to set the bar and lead by example.

Foran is the only one who does it
Would you say it’s been a problem since the start of the 2017 season?

Would you say it’s been a problem since the start of the 2017 season?

Yep I would say about then, the old guard had it in spades, the change of leadership didn’t have or doesn’t exhibit the same ethos. If the guy earning triple the amount of most other players wont get down and dirty, why would they?

A captain and coaches job is to instill the mentality and set the standard required to maintain that mentality.

Can anyone say our team has an identity? Something you can count on been shown 99% of the time, win, lose or draw?

We have little character, little resolve, little will and little desire. I believe some of our players have those traits, but it certainly isn’t the prevailing attitude across the board. That’s on the leadership

Sad Phil GIF by getflexseal

forward dominance , momentum dominance, same thing

Our forwards are far from perfect , but what we want from forward packs is to fight for every inch of ground and as quickly as they can to repeat. Post contact metres, play the ball speed, etc etc but we want them to care about every metre. Its a game of inchies

This is the kicking issue we have , we happily surrender ground to kick from a sheltered position. We are not winning enough ground or ball for this to be a tactic we should persist with. We need a kicker , prepared to get out there, take the ball to the line from anywhere in the field and kick. It cant happen all the time , and we need to implement some structure , that allows that to not be an easy read.

Apart from adding another 10 m , you take your line with you, keeping them alert and making it harder for fullbacks and wingers to pick there spot in case of a defensive mis read that leaves your kicker in the open.

Not using the up and under as much and kicking low more often with accuracy also leaves the kicker at times in the play as a penalty magnet, as is possible when you get around the ruck defence

This tactic is really important if we want to play a forward dominant game. I think if we got this part of our game in Order we could change our fortunes, but just expecting everyone to go harder instead of using the field better. The kickers that do this are the golden geese, everything else they bring is bonus

So ... let me get this straight ... it's DCE's fault again ...

So ... let me get this straight ... it's DCE's fault again ...
Well his our captain right, you watched the riff last night? Yeo was at his side the whole game and if he didn’t say a word it would be hard not to follow his lead, he shows the standard and leads the side how a captain should, we are leaderless and I think it’s about time for a change, problem is finding a suitable replacement.

The 1% will take care of itself if we get the 99% right.

We are our own worst enemies , every time we get in a good position we either fluff the last play or drop the ball.

Every time we get in an attacking position we hardly have any hole runners.

When defending we give away waaaaay too many penalties and 6 agains ( yes the refs are down on us but again we are our own worst enemies ).

Our defensive line speed is more suitable to defend against turtles than other players.

We got too used to Tom the superman and now we have absolutely ZERO!!

Honestly , we’ll be lucky to win any of the next 4 , maybe 1 at best.

For whatever reason the team is heartless and soulless and lack any direction.

Blame the captain all you want but there’s 1 coach and 16 others that have to accept equal blame !!

Agree with most. Forget the 1%'ers. Our players aren't equipped to be rounding out performances. These current Manly players just need to look the simplest of things, and trying to get them right. At this stage, I'll take energy & effort. That alone would be an improvement.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8