The Good, the Bad and the Ugly report - 2012 Finals week 3

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
One good thing about a bad finals loss like that is that the team often comes back the following season to make amends in the best way possible.

Think 1975/76, 1986/87, 1995/96, 2007/08, 2010/11.

Phantar said:
That robot was a patient fella, wasn't he?

Very.

But I did enjoy it when 'a' robot gave smith crap.

+ hope you're right about the bad finals loss for next year!

globaleagle said:
I felt sick reading it.

cf2 you did say you lost count of the errors, and you're right.

The the 13th and 18th minutes you said both times it was "error #6"

no idea why i corrected that.

and also there is a doubling up of "Error no 13" (60th and 65th minutes).

Jethro said:
globaleagle said:
I felt sick reading it.

LOL even CF2 is racking up the errors with his error count. Geez we all need a holiday.

mickqld said:
Jethro said:
globaleagle said:
I felt sick reading it.

LOL even CF2 is racking up the errors with his error count. Geez we all need a holiday.

Well, he did say in "THE UGLY":

"Errors: Melb 7; Manly 18 (or possibly more pending how you count them)" :D

Well written cf2.

I was wondering how you would come up with some "good". Admittedly, it was pretty skinny.

Bring on 2013.

Great article cf2!

I have been feeling very deflated and felt not making the GF Manly have under achieved this year, but the way you put the year into perspective, i feel satisfied of their achievements. I can't remember a more tumultuous year with injuries, Des leaving with the coaching staff, poaching and resigning players, the board room disasters etc etc I hope our star players can return to their best next year and come back stronger, playing with a lot more consistency and flair while still maintaining the Manly tight knit culture!

That was a tough read. What an abomination of a game, made all the worse by the stakes on offer. Still can't believe it to be honest, such a meek and insipid end to our title defence.

Thanks for your efforts this year cf2, well done.

Great report as always CF2. Thanks.

As documented many people struggle with perspective. That season injury toll should have resulted in us struggling to make 12th place. To come 4th and be one match from a GF is incredible.

As you said imagine being a Broncos, Warriors, Saints, Tigers supporter. Or Parra!

I can't stand people suggesting we didn't try. Playing that bad is not because we didn't try or didn't care. Every player wants to make a GF but fatigue (physical and mental) is the biggest downfall. It happens in every sport. Ironically happened to the Storm in the prelim last year.

That Dogs game was the turning point of the season. No fluke that all 4 teams in the NRL and AFL who got the week off are in the GF.

We were rooted on Fri night physically and mentally. League is a tough game and it's bloody hard to play at a super level for 27 weeks. 12 other teams couldn't do it. We were walking wounded out there. Matai gone after 20 mins, Ballin makes 40 plus tackles a week but only lasted 28 mins. King a passenger. Watmough looked buggered. Glenn Stewart not the same guy after his injury this year. But even then and with a million errors (no wonder you lost count CF2) we were still in the game until the last quarter. That's guts depsite having a shocker not lack of trying.

And remember this was Melb on their home turf fresh as daisies after a dead easy Souths game 2 weeks before and with Cronk and Slater on fire. Perspective people!

Fatigue causes mistakes. We had nothing left. It's not a crime we did so well to get where we did.

Massive tribute to Brent Kite. Single handedly carried our front row all season against way younger guys. Kingy looked old and slow most of the year, Georgie Rose let's face it too overweight, Guluvao carrying injuries and Lussick more penalties than metres. Bravo Brent.

And as others said Brett and especially Jamie Lyon were unbelievable.

Thanks again CF2 for the awesome reports. Roll on summer.

The only good I got out the game is that we never have to see Tony Williams (i refuse to call him T-Rex because real T-Rex's are actually intimidating) wear a manly top again. Can't wait to see Matai take him down next year 2013 year of the eagles

I did suggest in an earlier post that we should rest the first grade team in the last week of the preliminary series.

Let the cow pokers get fourth we go in at fifth. Play (refreshed after having a week off) an ordinary Broncos outfit as a tune up game so we could take on any of 'the big four' teams the week later.

Sadly that didn't happen and our fatigue showed.

Anyway it's history now and I have no interest in watching or even knowing the grand final results.

Because I must confess I am not a fan of rugby league but a fan on Manly. So I usually don't watch other teams go around much during the year.

I never watched superleague games and don't intend to start this week. Anyone know what time the arl gf is on between manly and souths? ;0)

I'd also very much like to congratulate CF2 for his excellent summations each week throughout the year. Bloody hard to do I imagine unless you were at, or watched closely every single game...but he never missed one so a sterling effort mate!!

But agree with everyone else the last one is tough reading....more like I used to read back in the Northern Beagles days....only then it was EVERY week.

Agree Mark. Cf2 is a rusted on, fully committed and passionate fan beyond all beyonds.
We were lucky enough to be at a certain pub on the north shore tonight and gotta say even though many of our star players were majorly enjoying the night they were also happy to talk to us fans and they were as gutted as we were to not be in the GF. Many thought they would get the cheat Storm in the second half last Friday. They are a great and top bunch of guys.

eagle-rock08 said:
Because I must confess I am not a fan of rugby league but a fan on Manly. So I usually don't watch other teams go around much during the year.

I'm exactly the same.
Rugby League is such a boring game when the eagles are not playing.

BOZO said:
Mate in 1978 our bruised and battered team palyed 6 games in 25 days to win the Grand Final . So dont make excuses on how tired and what a long season it was .

I was thinking the same but then I realised the modern game is at lightning pace. Just look at foxtel's repaet of some of the earlier games back even in the 90's. I was watching the 82, 83 GF and it was like in slow motion.

I definitely thought our boys were pooped by the 3rd week.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6