The Life Of Brian (Kelly)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Volley

Bencher
These strike rates are the reason a team cannot consistently perform and win games
We need to be more consistent as individuals and as a team .

Agreed, one bloke is into his second full season and the other is captain, into his 8th full season of first grade. I know who is more culpable.

Why did you disagree with the two man strip comment? Was it not a two man strip?

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Agreed, one bloke is into his second full season and the other is captain, into his 8th full season of first grade. I know who is more culpable.

Why did you disagree with the two man strip comment? Was it not a two man strip?
Culpable to me is every one in the team that lets the team down with inept play .
I disagreed because I didn't see a two man strip . I watched the replay of the game on fox this morning and I didn't see a two man strip and neither did the commentators.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
I predicted that Hodko would be the 5/8 that would bring cohesion and structure to our team and boy was I wrong big time !!! . Hodko brings nothing to the team .

I thought exactly the same thing which so far hasn't happened.

However.....

I wonder if that is Hodko or how Barrett has him playing because he seems to be playing exactly the same way we saw Croker playing 5/8. In attack it seems to be nothing more than hand-offs to ambling forwards. Very little running and some kicking (mostly the shorter kicks). Hodko is capable of much more than that. He is better than what we are seeing.

I personally think he needs to be given charge of running the team on the field which would free Cherry up to play his what's in front of him style. Right now there is far too much responsibility on DCE's shoulders with the captaincy, the expectation that goes with his high salary and trying to organise the team which is by far the weakest part of his game. And as we're all seeing, he's not handling it at all and his form, for want of a better term, has gone to $hit.

Personally, I think its a lot more the way Barrett has them playing than because Hodko is useless.

As for Brian Kelly.....while he still isn't a Killer or Skivvy (and its doubtful he ever will be at that level of greatness), he still has been one of the better performers in a mostly beaten side this year. Yes his defence still needs some work, but right now he is one of those actually earning his place in the 17 each week.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
I thought exactly the same thing which so far hasn't happened.

However.....

I wonder if that is Hodko or how Barrett has him playing because he seems to be playing exactly the same way we saw Croker playing 5/8. In attack it seems to be nothing more than hand-offs to ambling forwards. Very little running and some kicking (mostly the shorter kicks). Hodko is capable of much more than that. He is better than what we are seeing.

I personally think he needs to be given charge of running the team on the field which would free Cherry up to play his what's in front of him style. Right now there is far too much responsibility on DCE's shoulders with the captaincy, the expectation that goes with his high salary and trying to organise the team which is by far the weakest part of his game. And as we're all seeing, he's not handling it at all and his form, for want of a better term, has gone to $hit.

Personally, I think its a lot more the way Barrett has them playing than because Hodko is useless.

As for Brian Kelly.....while he still isn't a Killer or Skivvy (and its doubtful he ever will be at that level of greatness), he still has been one of the better performers in a mostly beaten side this year. Yes his defence still needs some work, but right now he is one of those actually earning his place in the 17 each week.
In regards to our game plan . I haven't seen a more negative game plan in my time as a supporter . One example is when we have the ball in the oppositions quarter we kick to find touch and give them a breather instead of putting teams under pressure .
We have two halves but we continue to be predictable and use one DCE on the last play .
We are down on 2 points in the first half and after the half time pep talk by the coach we come out and get beaten by 20 .
No wonder headlines read Barrett at a loss to lift Sea eagles

HoldenV8

Journey Man
For mine, the telling part of Saturday's game was when we opted to take a penalty kick when leading 6-0. We had the Warriors on the rack. One more penalty from them and we'd have been up against 12 players because someone would likely have been binned since they had just gotten a warning.

We were what, 5 metres out from their line? And what do we do.....we kick a freaking penalty goal just because it put us more than a converted try in front. The Warriors took that as we didn't have enough confidence to score a try and their own confidence rose accordingly, tearing us apart and scoring the next 34 points before Kelly got a consolation try in the 71st minute.

It was a negative play to take the penalty goal and we paid for it.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
For mine, the telling part of Saturday's game was when we opted to take a penalty kick when leading 6-0. We had the Warriors on the rack. One more penalty from them and we'd have been up against 12 players because someone would likely have been binned since they had just gotten a warning.

We were what, 5 metres out from their line? And what do we do.....we kick a freaking penalty goal just because it put us more than a converted try in front. The Warriors took that as we didn't have enough confidence to score a try and their own confidence rose accordingly, tearing us apart and scoring the next 34 points before Kelly got a consolation try in the 71st minute.

It was a negative play to take the penalty goal and we paid for it.
That's typical safety first game plan options and as we all know nothing great comes out of comfort zones

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Throughout their history, and really this year is no different despite their high position on the ladder, the Warriors have been a confidence team.

That negative play gave their defence confidence and it steamrolled from there.

The Who

Journey Man
I wonder if Twenty will consider playing Kelly at 5/8?
He seems loath to try Tom Wright.
Hodkinson is not the answer; let him captain the reserve grade team and mentor some of the juniors.
Kelly is a good centre - when he is given the ball, which is not nearly enough with the current Manly style of play.
At 5/8 he could be a real success. We certainly need a running 5/8 as Walker showed. If the opposition know you are never going to run, such as Hodkinson, then it makes defending much easier.
We have good centre options in Suli, Parker and Walker.
My first preference would be to give Tom Wright a chance at 5/8, but it seems Twenty doesn't have the courage to pick such a hot-cold player.

mave

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I would love to see Kelly get an extended run at 5/8. Been saying it for months.
He needs more clean ball, which is apparent he will never get if we keep things the same.
He has exceptional footwork, which we all know.

If we are ever going to do it, now is the time, given our season.

I would love to see Kelly get an extended run at 5/8. Been saying it for months.
He needs more clean ball, which is apparent he will never get if we keep things the same.
He has exceptional footwork, which we all know.

If we are ever going to do it, now is the time, given our season.

Great hands and quick from a standing start too. DCE to hooker?

Last edited:

TimmyQ

Bencher
DCE needs a couple of weeks off tbh.
A phantom " injury" would be Barretts smartest play.
Give Kelly and Hodgkinson 2 weeks to see what happens and make a decision then.
True but the little bastard is durable af...never gets injured. So they'd be onto us..

The Who

Journey Man
I wonder if it's worth playing Kelly on the wing and bringing Tom 'Rocket' Wright in to the centres.
I think Kelly needs a little more room to move and can't get involved enough as a centre.
Rocket makes things happen, and if Kelly played outside him it should be a dynamic combination.

mave

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I still want to see Kelly at 5/8. He would excell there imo.
Certainly wont happen with Captain Conservative Barrett in charge, but with the season gone, why not try other options.

We do not give any of our LHS enough room to move, especially with Turbo angling towards the touchline every time he touches the ball.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
12 9 3 83 22
13 10 3 80 22
13 9 4 110 20
12 7 5 64 18
12 7 5 -37 18
13 7 6 133 16
13 7 6 81 16
13 7 6 47 16
13 7 6 -34 16
13 6 6 27 15