The Mad scientists finest creation

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
I think Des has 1 massive hurdle as a coach....he is very stubborn to change and in a way to do so, means he must "correct" a choice he made earlier.
This is an issue when the game changes and you need to move forward with it or become a dinasour, which I may cop some flack...but definately later bulldogs days hit this very hurdle with this constant pommy style front row /halfback style that the opposition worked out and absolutely snuffed out, yet it continued ??
At Manly he has been willing to shift his approach to meet the "NEW" form of NRL...mainly comprising of winning fasy play balls, ripping in behind the A defenders and eliminating multiple defenders in the tackle, by iscolating to a single defender (or 2), ensuring the attacker is up first playing the ball and the defence is backpeddling....also late 2nd phase balls.....shifts at every opportunity and from Anywhere on the field....and if you watch recently, the urgency in kick/ chase has gone up 50% and had the opposition on tackle 4 and still getting back onside (this includes early Manly kicks on tackle 2-3), great tactic and if controlled aggression will often create errors.
Keep in mind you do also need certain players to achieve this style, including the splitters in Schu and Okalatu who have contrasting styles, but add plenty to their respective edge - fast wingers also help.
Anyways, my point is Des is a fantastic coach...his stubborn, strong minded and loves the club and the fact he has got the blend right which included having to erase a few other Des blackboards is a credit to him....let me add - he loves the Manly club, which is a major factor of the players buying in - which they obviously are - things are going to plan almost perfectly atm.

What Fainu adds that Croker doesn't is that heads up threat around the ruck. He is so good at pinching 15+ metres on a big scoot and that can then turn into a break if Tommy or DCE back up for the pass. I miss having him in the 17.
You should have written....

What Finau once added.

We wax lyrical about MF and yes he was an absolute gun in 2019 but he hasn't played for 2 years and won't play for at least another half season. That's a long time out of an ever changing game. He last played as a sprightly kid and all being well with return a man with a different body shape and a lot of baggage.

We all talk about him getting cleared and coming straight back in but I'm not sure. He won't be the same player as 2019 and its not the same game either.

I hope he still has it but there is no guarantee he will.

I think Des has 1 massive hurdle as a coach....he is very stubborn to change and in a way to do so, means he must "correct" a choice he made earlier.
This is an issue when the game changes and you need to move forward with it or become a dinasour, which I may cop some flack...but definately later bulldogs days hit this very hurdle with this constant pommy style front row /halfback style that the opposition worked out and absolutely snuffed out, yet it continued ??
It’s true he’s stubborn. He continually refused the obvious strategy of buying Cooper Cronk or some other top half, so the Dogs fate was sealed. In May 2017 he did sign Foran to come over in 2018, but too little too late to save Des. Sacked after missing the finals in 2017, as the Dogs being a proud club deserved a far better coach.

However, he’s still one of the most influential coaches, though not always in a good way. His record of getting to the finals has taken a hit in the past 4 seasons as he’s steered the Dogs to dismal finishes - 12th, 12th, 15th and now dead last. Even more remarkable as he wasn’t even their coach at the time.

From that point of view you keep Croker as the starting 9 and have Fainu on the bench.
I know **** technical stuff but I reckon a rotation of Croker during the grind and Fainu coming on when the forwards are tiring would be a revelation.

Then Croker back on if the game got tighter.

You should have written....

What Finau once added.

We wax lyrical about MF and yes he was an absolute gun in 2019 but he hasn't played for 2 years and won't play for at least another half season. That's a long time out of an ever changing game. He last played as a sprightly kid and all being well with return a man with a different body shape and a lot of baggage.

We all talk about him getting cleared and coming straight back in but I'm not sure. He won't be the same player as 2019 and its not the same game either.

I hope he still has it but there is no guarantee he will.
Possible. I think he has the talent to kick on. It's not like he has stopped training during that time, he just can't play the matches until he's cleared.

From that point of view you keep Croker as the starting 9 and have Fainu on the bench.

Or you add a sharpish backrower who can play a little hooker for backup or to rest a hooker.

Someone like Lawton or Walker can play a variety of positions from the forwards to the backs and can add spark not just from dummy half.

All this fuss about having a dynamic or quality dummy half most times is over-stated, yes there are obvious advantages, yes they can win you games or break up a tight defensive line but if your attack is reliant on having a quality hooker then you have bigger issues to resolve.

Ballin wasn't sharp, Monas wasn't sharp, Sedaris wasn't all that sharp(relative to today), Smith wasn't all that sharp but had Footy IQ and creativity, Jake Friend was just solid same with Jake Granville.

I just feel it is a position that can be easily filled with "adequacy" along with just finding a reliable solid Centre these days, i would rather spend my money in other areas.

Yes when i see Cook spark some attack through the middle I'm reminded we lack that in our ruck play but doesn't bother me that much.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11