the new game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
After watching the games last night to be honest I am not sure that Manly will be able to adapt to the new style of the game, and to be honest I am not sure I want them too.

The game as it is with the two refs and the ridiculous amount of penalties has lost part of it's entertainment factor, for the first time ever I found myself falling asleep and preferring to go to bed rather than watch the footy, which is not something I have ever done in the past.

I would prefer a slightly slower ruck than 16 penalties per game. The refs seem like they more and more want to get themselves on TV and that tey think the game is about them and not about the players.

Not only that it seems they can't even get it right anyway. I hate the Storm but that try that the Broncos were allowed off one of the most blatant knock-ons around the ruck I have ever seen and they didnt go to the video.

Honestly the way the NRL are taking this game is simply to ****. They cant get anything right, they cant police it right, they cant ref it right and they cant bloody well sell it to the media properly.

pfffft

Agree Dan - I'm not sold on the two Ref caper the game didn't start with two Refs back 1908 and now someone has a bright idea.

Another one of Gallop's many brain storms.

I'm yet to watch a full game. Sunday down at Brookie will be the first for the year. I hate penalty fests. That's one of the reason the SOO is so good as they let them go most of the time and just let the guys play.

The refs do seem to working under instructions to speed the game up, even if it takes a bunch of quick penalties to do it. But I still don't see why they need two idiots instead of one.
I haven't watched a full game this season either yet, including our first up game against the dogs. I'm so disillusioned by the NRL's handling of Brett's case (aka Brett's Beat-up) that I can't bring myself to care.

i dont get the obession with speed

id perfer to watch skill and ball movement than speed

ESL is the perfect example their play the balls are slow as all hell
but theres 10 times the laterial ball movement we have in the NRL

2 refs is a joke.

I disagree.

I am actually finding the games more exciting. With the more scrutiny around the ruck it has sped the game up alot.

I share your concerns about Manly though. I don't know if we are going to be able to adapt to this style. We have a big bulky pack which was suited to how the game WAS played (hence we won the comp) now it seems it will suit the smaller sides like tigers, titans, souths and knights etc.

We have mobility in Choc, Gifty and cuthbo... but tha about it up front.
I think all 3 of these players will need to have big years should we give the back to back titles a shake.

All in all, Do I like the game with two refs?? So far I do.
Do I think Manly will excel at it?? I have my doubts... we'll take time adapting but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Cliffy Gc link said:

ESL is the perfect example their play the balls are slow as all hell
but theres 10 times the laterial ball movement we have in the NRL

2 refs is a joke.

I haven't seen any les ball movement that last year... If anything I think the ball movement will get slicker... It is definately there it's just that early in the season and with all teams getting used to the pace there has been alot of dropped pill. I think as teams get used to it and the ball starts to stick you will see a very good product and the skill levels with go up another level.

Ron E. Gibbs link said:
The refs do seem to working under instructions to speed the game up, even if it takes a bunch of quick penalties to do it. But I still don't see why they need two idiots instead of one.
I haven't watched a full game this season either yet, including our first up game against the dogs. I'm so disillusioned by the NRL's handling of Brett's case (aka Brett's Beat-up) that I can't bring myself to care.
I agree mate. One idiot on the field is definitely better than two. And don't forget that 3rd idiot (video ref). I particularly hate it when the video ref is Bill Harrogan.

I dont see how a host of penalties makes the game faster than a slightly slower ruck.

A heavily penalise game is slow frustrating an dboring, one of the reasons I dont watch the World cup in Soccer, it's a boring form of soccer, with diving, faking and too many penalties, 2 refs= 3 interpretations= confusing and impossible to get consistency

It's early in the season, dan.

Every year the first few rounds have more penalties. It'll take a month or so for players to adapt.

I they don't make mistakes there will be less penalties.

Dessie just has to get them to sort there **** out.

I'm yet to watch a full game myself & I haven't as yet made up my mind on the idea of two refs either.  I think that we just have to give it a go for a little while before we make any judgement (just like you can't write Bailey off after the one game last week at 5/8th).  Give it a few games & see what happens as other teams have already had several games under their belt with the new system because of trials where we had only the game last week.  Has anybody checked other team forums to see what they are saying?

I've had the time to watch a lot of games this year and I'm still not a fan of two refs.  It seems to me that when the second ref comes into play he has a need to whistle as much as the other ref.  It's my guess that psychologically, there's the need to be on a level term with each other.  That would need a study to see if I'm right.  Anyway the forward passes are still there, small knock ons are passed and strips are still problematic.  No change really.  I never saw the need in the first place for the two refs. 

I'm actually really enjoying the games so far this year. Not sure if it's totally because of the two refs but the games seem fairly open and attacking.
The thing that is hacking me off is the constant references to bookmakers and odds during the games on nine.

Looks like the sucker is here to stay ? the only thing that's important right now is that Manly adapts to it asap.

One top Ref in each match to help the lesser inexperienced Ref/s  ???

Cliffy Gc link said:

Agree. It's getting like touch footy, where it's just dump and run. We are going back to where we were in the early 2000's when the Roosters were masters at falling at the feet of would be tacklers, bouncing back up for the quick play the ball and just rolling down field against a backpedalling defensive line. That's why they bought in surrender tackles. That's why the wrestle and grapple rose to prominence.

They need to get fair dinkum about policing the ruck for both sides. Make the attacking side get to their feet to play the ball and MAKE them play the ball on the mark. All this walking around and through the markers p!sses me off no end. If they are made to play it properly it'll slow things down a fraction as well.

The SuperLeague tried to speed the game up to the point where defences had no hope and scorelines were 40-30 every week. It's because the marketing knobs at the NRL think fans want to see a glut of tries each week. They are so out of touch it's embarrassing.

Cletus you're right about the stupid gibber re bookmaker odds.  Why?  Isn't it meant to be a 'family' game.  I'll mention this to Gallopfool.  And the crap that the commentators sprayed in the Brisbane/Storm game.  horrible to listen to.  Had to turn the sound off.

Todays game was made frustrating by the refs imo

They seemed to referee in cycles, and when both teams were in the right part of that cycle, they scored all the points. Far too much influence

I also lost count of the amount of balls that went backwards called as knock on, the best of all being the Glenn Stewart pass to Bani being called back as a knock on

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Todays game was made frustrating by the refs imo

They seemed to referee in cycles, and when both teams were in the right part of that cycle, they scored all the points. Far too much influence

I also lost count of the amount of balls that went backwards called as knock on, the best of all being the Glenn Stewart pass to Bani being called back as a knock on

Yeah, Hadley & Co were going off about that. They reckon that the ball went backwards by about a metre and shouldn't have been called up as a forward pass. They reckon that Bani would have gone on to score.

What are your thoughts on the 2 refs after that game?

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8