The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Check the figures TC. He average 27-28 tackles a match which was only exceeded by Jake and Croker, though Taupau was about equal. He was also only one of three forwards on the field for the full 80 minutes each game, the others being Jake and Croker. And then he was expected to be involved in most of the attacking raids. The other forwards I would say had it easy in comparison (except Jake and Croker that is)
My point was... the difference given where he is positioned on the field was minimal to a 5/8... he wasn't stuck in the middle doing Jake/Croker type workload. My other point of his effort and dedication this year absolutely stands... totally unacceptable by any NRL standards... he admitted in an interview about 6 weeks ago that he was carrying too many kg's and needed to lose weight!!!!!! That to me especially for a young guy with the world at his feet and with a young body to work with says to me he doesn't have the desire or mindset to work hard to make a difference. The fact that he let his management make a song and dance about playing 5/8 when his own commitment was waning.. his fitness sub standard to me smacked of absolute arrogance. He should have cut his management down quick with a media release of his own stating that he needs to earn that right and he wasn't forcing Foran out etc. Funny.. the crickets from Schuster on that issue is just like the crickets from the Boycott 10 refusing to explain to the fans their position. But yes with Schuster, demanding something but you refuse to earn it.... that is not the type of player I want our club built around. I honestly believe he has the skills to be an amazing player... I just have a view that he certainly is not mentally tough and I want 17 players week in and week out who give their all... especially when the chips are down.

Sheikheagle

First Grader
Tipping Member
The really funny thing is that I'm serious ... it's only the fact that he is also the best fullback that is holding him back from his true destiny ...
I agree woodsie Tommy would make an awesome 2nd rower. However, not sure he would be happy with the lower dollars on offer for 2nd row.

alafua siaosi

Reserve Grader
A lot of assumptions on here but the fact of the matter is Schuster has put on weight and once it is off during the pre season , give him a chance at 6 for 2023 then we can all discuss the results on here .A lot has happened that maybe only one or two on here have spoken with Schuster about on his reasons why this year has not worked out .Interesting to see how he plays next year because when he plays well the headlines will be HE HAS LEARNT A LOT FROM FOZ ,but if he doesn't you don't have to look far for a headline . Huhhhh ,can't wait for 2023 and let's go Manly .

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
A lot of assumptions on here but the fact of the matter is Schuster has put on weight and once it is off during the pre season , give him a chance at 6 for 2023 then we can all discuss the results on here .A lot has happened that maybe only one or two on here have spoken with Schuster about on his reasons why this year has not worked out .Interesting to see how he plays next year because when he plays well the headlines will be HE HAS LEARNT A LOT FROM FOZ ,but if he doesn't you don't have to look far for a headline . Huhhhh ,can't wait for 2023 and let's go Manly .

Assumptions maybe, speculation definately ... but that is the function of a forum, specially one with passionate fans .. but here's the thing alafua .. the fact that there is such a great difference of opinions is a testament to the fact that the Shu has a lot of work to do on his game ..

I remember when Bobby Fulton debuted at 18, from that first game nobody was in any doubt that we had a winner .. there was no speculation .

When Toovey debuted as a 4' 2" 17 year old school boy against a touring Gt Britain side at Brookvale .. it was clear to everybody that witnessed it, that we had a future star ... there was no speculation ...

The first time Wombat Eadie destroyed the opposition on debut .. everybody knew we had a great .. there was no speculation ..

We all hope that the Shu is our next great star ... but the reality is ... if opinions differ so greatly on a forum of experienced armchair critics ... then it means he has not yet done enough to allay their fears, and has a lot of work to do on his game ..

And, I believe everybody is rooting for him (not in an inclusive way) and everybody is willing to give him the time and opportunity to succeed ... If he isn't getting game time ... that points to boxes not being ticked at training or in the eyes of the coaching staff ..

But like you, I hope an off season works it's wonders and he rips teams to pieces next year ... until then, many of us are just concerned and hopeful.

Cheers

PSS If you haven't seen that game of Toovey V the poms at Brookie .. google it .. it will blow you away .. the kid looks 14 years old and rips the poms apart ..

Last edited:

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
I agree with a lot of what you say ... however, the personal traits I have my doubts about ... are generally evident regardless of postion played, or even performance ... even if Foran was running the bucket and sponge, you would immediately see that he wanted to be the best sponge and bucket runner ever .. people would marvel at the speed in which he got to an injured player, the competency in which he wiped the wet sponge across their face, applaud him when he yells "get up! it's only a broken leg"

cheers mate ...

I agree Woodsie and in what you are saying lies the question. Has Schuster felt betrayed and consequently lost his fire? The reports seem to suggest this and I also suspect there were pressures behind the scene that seem to have over ruled Hasler's desire to retain Foran. Are there some in the club who are concerned, as I am, that we risked losing a potential 21 year old star for a past his prime 32 year former champion. Manly cant survive living off old memories. Shades of Jones and Krillich, Eadie and Batty, perhaps even Hodkinson and DCE. I recall you making much the same argument as I did a few years back when Manly brought back Foran. The risk of losing Schuster is obviously on the minds of those behind the scenes it would seem. If Batty had played on would we have lost Eadie? Probably. He was in hot demand. We cant afford to keep losing players with talent as we have with several in recent years who have gone on to better things. Comes a time when old warriors have to step aside for the young. Also applies to coaches, and Des needs to consider this also.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
I agree Woodsie and in what you are saying lies the question. Has Schuster felt betrayed and consequently lost his fire? The reports seem to suggest this and I also suspect there were pressures behind the scene that seem to have over ruled Hasler's desire to retain Foran. Are there some in the club who are concerned, as I am, that we risked losing a potential 21 year old star for a past his prime 32 year former champion. Manly cant survive living off old memories. Shades of Jones and Krillich, Eadie and Batty, perhaps even Hodkinson and DCE. I recall you making much the same argument as I did a few years back when Manly brought back Foran. The risk of losing Schuster is obviously on the minds of those behind the scenes it would seem. If Batty had played on would we have lost Eadie? Probably. He was in hot demand. We cant afford to keep losing players with talent as we have with several in recent years who have gone on to better things. Comes a time when old warriors have to step aside for the young. Also applies to coaches, and Des needs to consider this also.

Of course .. even the best of them eventually get a tap on the shoulder. When though is always a matter of judgement ... and subject to human error ..

My only ever qualification in your scenarios is that they are always framed in the belief that young players can do no wrong .. and any fault lies with the club or coaches ..

Fainu is not in prison because a coach didn't hug him .. and whilst the onus and responsibility is on the staff to aid their careers. It remains that some kids regardless of their talent are just dickheads .

In the specific case of Shuster, I have no idea of the back ground situation , but before i get concerned with him leaving .. i would like to see him playing like i would want to keep him .

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Member
Improve the go forward and overall sharpness in our sets and it takes the load off defensively plus wins field position.

What Schuster showed in attack last year as a back rower was fine for a first year player, no-one here is really on his back about the flaws in his game he showed last year, it's about whether he will ever be sharp enough in an all round sense to be a good 5/8 attacking wise and defensively in the form of kick chasers etc.

Planting yourself on the left working off shape and showing the odd bit of ball playing class is not going to be enough moving forward in a squad lacking ball playing options all over the park.

Foran was able to plant himself on the left having J.Lyon and G.Stewart on the right Schuster doesn't have this same luxury so needs to rove a little more which requires fitness and sharpness.
No chance in hell that Schu is going to throw himself into the line like Foz has to create the space for outside runners. As you said he'll go the flashy ball playing role which the good sides will easily nullify. As for our right side I assume we'll continue with the World of Oz plays that won't allow Ola'k or Koula any space or time from the Long Neck Albatross. (LNA).

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
No chance in hell that Schu is going to throw himself into the line like Foz has to create the space for outside runners. As you said he'll go the flashy ball playing role which the good sides will easily nullify. As for our right side I assume we'll continue with the World of Oz plays that won't allow Ola'k or Koula any space or time from the Long Neck Albatross. (LNA).

His skill was deception Mick in the lower grades. He didn't have to throw himself at the opposition. He used guile to confuse the opposition so they weren't sure what his next move was, somewhat like Cliffy. By doing the unexpected, pathways opened up for him. That's why he was so successful in the junior ranks. That type of player always threatens oppositions because their unpredictability makes it hard to structure an effective defense.

40 nil

It's only a game ...
The club has made a mistake if that is the case and the players should have told the club.. we need to explain ourselves. Whoever is behind that decision has it totally wrong.
The club made their first mistake with their non inclusive approach to the Pride jersey. According to reports, these players did not learn about the jersey till Monday morning, 36 hours before the Tuesday team announcement for the Thursday night game. When I learned of this gross incompetence by the club, I immediately thought to give up my 57 year support for the club. My interest has waned due to this, but I am still supporting the team. I am hopeful that both supporters and players can leave all this behind and we can launch into a more successful 2023 season. By the way, the Pacificas are some of my favourite players in the team. I would prefer that none of the leave.

ManEagle

Just a Man and his Eagle
The club has made a mistake if that is the case and the players should have told the club.. we need to explain ourselves. Whoever is behind that decision has it totally wrong.
Along with what @40 nil says,what good would it do to have them front the media ?
They would get steamrollerd into making comments, probably taken out of context and fuel the flames.
It's a no win, for nobody involved, regardless of what their answers are, they are not going to please everyone, get "crucified" (could not help that) regardless of what they say.

Sometimes silence is wisdom, I personally think this is one of those times.

Hopefully we can let it go, move on and get stuck in for 2023.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16