The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
2021 was Schuie’s breakout year playing in the backrow. He was actually very close to making the Origin squad (until a calf injury) in his first full year of first grade.

Whilst it might not be $800k, what he was displaying at that time and his potential at such a young age meant he would have received a sizeable upgrade.

Like I said in another thread, the club can only do so much to get him firing at 100%, he won’t get near his potential until he’s consistently disciplined and professional in his approach to his footy.

He can do it, but it won’t just happen for him.
Yes back row , not 5/8

He’s yet to deliver at all in his new position.

And your last line says it all really

Highflier

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I dont know if Carryannus is right r not esp since that contract was signed in 2021,that seems way out of wack .
Schu strikes me as quite sensitive and a bit introverted and he often does post the odd thing re his lost mate Kieth so there maybe something there,as others have mentioned .Anyways the club is supporting him and should continue to do so 100% and so should all of us .I know from watching him in the few games where he has played this year I have seen enough to know that he is a big part of our future and is super talented and great to watch .
So Schu.. get well ,get fit ,and get back where you belong in 1st grade at Manly ,we are all behind you
Go Manly

Remy

shuu
$800k

If true then no wonder we can’t sign anyone , DCE 1.4, Tom 1.0, Jake 900, and now 800 for a 5/8 that’s yet to prove himself even once.

That’s about 40% of the cap on 4 players
First of all he's not on 800k, he's on about 600k max. Secondly you've said Schuster hasn't proved himself once in the 6 position. He's had 8 games in his career to date at five eight and most of them are 7+ out of 10 performances. It's so easy for people to forget when things are going bad for him.

2020 debuted vs tigers at 6, played amazing, Benji said best player he's ever seen debut
2021 vs Parra and Dragons at 6, parra game is his best game in his entire career and showed us then he could handle the role once Foz' time was up
2022 vs Warrior and Tigers at 6, both games delivered solid performances and won both of them convincingly
2023 vs Parra, Rabbitohs, Tigers at 6, Parra game was arguably best on ground and that was his first game of the season, Rabbitohs game quiet but still had moments, and the Tigers game was his worst performance in his entire career so far but obviously shouldn't have been on the field.

Josh has proven himself as someone who can play in the halves. He has natural talent and skill. His body is letting him down. And how can we as just fans judge his application to the sport. We are not there seeing him train or slack off. And from what we've heard from teammates and coaches and himself is he has been putting in the work, he sacrificed a world cup just to work on himself for the club. We got to stop forgetting and blaming and back our player. It's bad luck that he is going through.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
schuster on large coin has been mentioned previously on 360 . Not the ammount but going by the ”big eyes “ on brent read when he announced it my immediate thoughts were

i hope its not 800
its 800 isnt it.

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
They need to get him fully recovered and fully fit. He did really well during the off season so the desire is there. I just hope these recent injuries haven’t taken the wind out of his sails. Fitness at the top level is not a part time focus. It takes commitment and ongoing lifestyle sacrifices. Not easy for a young man in his early twenties but that is the price for success. I believe he will get there. You can do it Josh!

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
I love how we extrapolate on our own rumours and innuendo.

Suddenly Shoe is on 800k and Chez is on 1.4 mil.

Soon if Garrick has a few bad games the narrative will be "he is on centre money so probably 900k"

We create our own drama, I love it

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member

Soon if Garrick has a few bad games the narrative will be "he is on centre money so probably 900k"

Don’t know about the $800k but DCE’s contract has been going up by the percentage of the salary increase each year ( part of that ten year contract ).

He was supposedly on “ circa 1.35 million” last year , so 1.4 isn’t out of the question.

Next year is a new contract , I would hope it’s significantly less given his age.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Sea eagles on Josh's ommission:
"Five-eighth Josh Schuster has not been named to play against the Titans to allow him to do more reconditioning work on a recent quad injury."
Aha!
Club shielding young Josh by choosing that preposition? ('on' instead of 'after')
And the word 'recent' means in the past but not long ago.
Anyhow that's enough of my linguisitc investigations. Go Josh, come back fit soon and carve up!

Nordburg

First Grader

The $800K for Schuster was said by Carayannis on NRL360 last night.Whether anyone believes that or not,is up to them but it wasn’t a rumour extrapolated by anyone on ST’s

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The lack of transparency is the root of the issue. We should know what every player’s salary is in the top 30 is for the purposes of calculating compliance with the cap. Privacy in respect of income is a nonesense argument when the press are wildly speculating.

Sheikheagle

First Grader
Tipping Member
DCE’s presser and in the media today suggest that the schu is having real problems mentally and physically adapting to the rigours of NRL. Let’s hope he comes good as he appears a decent kid with a lot of talent. I can’t see him playing 1sts for some time.

Mitch

Bencher
I was listening to the Big Sports Breakfast this morning and they were discussing the back page of the Daily Telegraph (which I haven't seen) with the headline "It's up to Schu".

They essentially said it centered around the fact that his career is at a crossroads and DCE's comments around nothing coming easy and to be successful as an NRL player you have to put the work in.

Reading between the lines, with these calf and quad injuries Schuster wouldn't have been able to continue to condition himself (running etc) as much as he generally would and it's probably resulted in some of the work he did in the off season being erased.

Schuie is the type of player that has to be extremely disciplined with his training and diet or things can unravel pretty quickly.

Frogz

Bencher
Premium Member

NRL 2023: Daly Cherry-Evans urges teammate Josh Schuster not to waste his talent​

Daly Cherry-Evans has unloaded on his own teammate, claiming the youngster’s career is at a crossroads and demanding an immediate change in attitude.

Brent Read
3 min read
April 27, 2023 - 8:00AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s.../3e561d14fafc42b6fca928afb6c3b501#share-tools

Manly captain Daly Cherry-Evans concedes that sidelined star Josh Schuster has reached a crossroads in his young career amid fears that his enormous talent is at risk of being frittered away.
Schuster was left out of the Sea Eagles’ side to play the Gold Coast this weekend, the club revealing he had been given time to do reconditioning work on a recent quad injury.
It means that Schuster will have made only three appearances through the opening nine rounds, prompting fresh concerns over his ability to stand up to the rigours of first grade.
Significantly, his latest setback comes as Manly prepare to face a Titans side led by Kieran Foran, the man Schuster was earmarked to replace in the No.6 jersey.
“I have been playing long enough to see so many people at this club not maximise their opportunity,” Cherry-Evans said.
“That is rugby league mate – if you’re not willing to work hard enough, if you’re not willing to sacrifice, you just don’t last long.

“He is at a crossroads early in his career but it can be a real positive. This doesn’t have to be a negative for him – spending some time away to get his body right, this could be a defining moment where he takes off to that level we all know he can.
“That is what we are all hoping to see out of it all. I think a situation like this can really stoke the fire in the belly. As his teammates all we want to see is like I said, work really hard to get his body and his mind right, and come back and show consistency in first grade, which I know he can do.
“I have played enough footy with him and trained with him enough to see so much ability. So I definitely want to see him get it all right.

“This should fire him up so if he has any self-doubt, he can remove that.”
Schuster’s talent has never been in question. Concerns, however, have lingered over his ability to become the permanent foil to Cherry-Evans in the halves given the question marks over his desire and commitment.
It is understood he is one of the highest paid players at the club – earning in the vicinity of $800,000 a season – but the jury remains out given the way he has struggled to get his body right over the past two seasons.
Schuster only managed 13 games last season and he will do well to match that figure this year given the way he has laboured through the opening two months.

“His appearances have been inconsistent – I think that his third game in eight rounds,” Cherry-Evans said.
“He has some time off now to figure it out. He has a heap of support at the club from coaching staff to medical staff and the playing group.
“We all know how good he can be. So we are really hoping he can go away, put together a plan to get himself mentally and physically in a really good spot, because when he comes back we would love for him to stay back in first grade and help us be a better side.
“We are a better side with Schuey in it. Anyone in his situation – and there have been plenty of players in this situation before ….. anyone who has come through the other side of that has had to work extremely hard.
“The worst thing Schuey can do is look for excuses from anyone else. The best thing he can do is get that mentality that I am going to fix this, I am going to help myself and I have so many people around me who want to help me.”
Cherry-Evans said he faced a similar scenario early in his career. The Sea Eagles skipper came out the other side and he hopes Schuster can do the same.

“I am very patient, I am more patient than most,” he said. “I am willing to wait to see how this goes but it’s not going to be easy. Nothing in the NRL is easy, especially if you want a 10-year career.
“You have to work hard and consistently work hard. Maybe this will be the moment in time where he realises it isn’t just going to happen, he has to go get it. That took me a while to figure out. I got through on raw ability for a long time.”

Mitch

Bencher

NRL 2023: Daly Cherry-Evans urges teammate Josh Schuster not to waste his talent​

Daly Cherry-Evans has unloaded on his own teammate, claiming the youngster’s career is at a crossroads and demanding an immediate change in attitude.

Brent ReadBrent Read
Follow
@brentread_7

3 min read
April 27, 2023 - 8:00AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s.../3e561d14fafc42b6fca928afb6c3b501#share-tools

NRL

Don't miss out on the headlines from NRL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
Manly captain Daly Cherry-Evans concedes that sidelined star Josh Schuster has reached a crossroads in his young career amid fears that his enormous talent is at risk of being frittered away.
Schuster was left out of the Sea Eagles’ side to play the Gold Coast this weekend, the club revealing he had been given time to do reconditioning work on a recent quad injury.
It means that Schuster will have made only three appearances through the opening nine rounds, prompting fresh concerns over his ability to stand up to the rigours of first grade.
Significantly, his latest setback comes as Manly prepare to face a Titans side led by Kieran Foran, the man Schuster was earmarked to replace in the No.6 jersey.
“I have been playing long enough to see so many people at this club not maximise their opportunity,” Cherry-Evans said.
“That is rugby league mate – if you’re not willing to work hard enough, if you’re not willing to sacrifice, you just don’t last long.
Josh Schuster’s career is at the crossroads. Picture: Getty

Josh Schuster’s career is at the crossroads. Picture: Getty
“He is at a crossroads early in his career but it can be a real positive. This doesn’t have to be a negative for him – spending some time away to get his body right, this could be a defining moment where he takes off to that level we all know he can.
“That is what we are all hoping to see out of it all. I think a situation like this can really stoke the fire in the belly. As his teammates all we want to see is like I said, work really hard to get his body and his mind right, and come back and show consistency in first grade, which I know he can do.
“I have played enough footy with him and trained with him enough to see so much ability. So I definitely want to see him get it all right.

“This should fire him up so if he has any self-doubt, he can remove that.”
Schuster’s talent has never been in question. Concerns, however, have lingered over his ability to become the permanent foil to Cherry-Evans in the halves given the question marks over his desire and commitment.
It is understood he is one of the highest paid players at the club – earning in the vicinity of $800,000 a season – but the jury remains out given the way he has struggled to get his body right over the past two seasons.
Schuster only managed 13 games last season and he will do well to match that figure this year given the way he has laboured through the opening two months.
Daly Cherry-Evans hasn’t missed in his appraisal of Josh Schuster. Picture: Getty

Daly Cherry-Evans hasn’t missed in his appraisal of Josh Schuster. Picture: Getty
Manly has thrown down the challenge to Josh Schuster. Picture: NRL Photos

Manly has thrown down the challenge to Josh Schuster. Picture: NRL Photos
“His appearances have been inconsistent – I think that his third game in eight rounds,” Cherry-Evans said.
“He has some time off now to figure it out. He has a heap of support at the club from coaching staff to medical staff and the playing group.
“We all know how good he can be. So we are really hoping he can go away, put together a plan to get himself mentally and physically in a really good spot, because when he comes back we would love for him to stay back in first grade and help us be a better side.
“We are a better side with Schuey in it. Anyone in his situation – and there have been plenty of players in this situation before ….. anyone who has come through the other side of that has had to work extremely hard.
“The worst thing Schuey can do is look for excuses from anyone else. The best thing he can do is get that mentality that I am going to fix this, I am going to help myself and I have so many people around me who want to help me.”
Cherry-Evans said he faced a similar scenario early in his career. The Sea Eagles skipper came out the other side and he hopes Schuster can do the same.

“I am very patient, I am more patient than most,” he said. “I am willing to wait to see how this goes but it’s not going to be easy. Nothing in the NRL is easy, especially if you want a 10-year career.
“You have to work hard and consistently work hard. Maybe this will be the moment in time where he realises it isn’t just going to happen, he has to go get it. That took me a while to figure out. I got through on raw ability for a long time.”
This is the stuff you want to head from a leader of your club. Is it harsh, yep. Is it something Josh needs to hear, absolutely (not sure if it needed to be on the back page though of the DT though).

I love Schuie, but the inconsistency in his preparation etc is going to continue to lead to inconsistency in his performance and availability.

Like Daly said, there have been plenty of gifted footballer players that tried to get by just on pure talent, but that can only get you so far.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
11 8 3 75 20
12 9 3 70 20
12 8 4 100 18
12 7 5 64 16
12 7 5 57 16
12 7 5 -37 16
12 6 5 36 15
13 7 6 133 14
12 6 6 77 14
13 7 6 4 14