The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The finest recruitment we've made in the past few years is Sandwich. He has proven to be a wonderful First Grader, versatile, reliable and an excellent goal kicker. And, he's just under the 'elite' level so he's not missing in representative teams, and he is robust enough to play most matches a season.
Hats off to whoever saw his potential.
I wonder if it was Scott Fulton?

I hope he leaves and not because I don't like him, I just think don't think he is what Manly needs and vice versa.

Schu is a creative talent with good ball skills. However, he is not strong in the effort areas and lacks the body type to play 6. He reminds me a lot of Bryce Cartwright. If we had a competitive team, high on effort, we could probably carry Schu on an edge and use his 'Glenn Stewart-esque' ball skills, but he is no 6. He is being paid too much to play on an edge moving forward, so I think we should cut him loose.

He fades badly in the final 20-30 minutes of matches. There are comments about 'match fitness' but the reality is, providing you're training during the week (which he is) it doesn't take weeks to get match fit. It takes 1 maybe to 2 games, tops. To think that we are moving towards rd.18 (yes, he missed a few games earlier in the year) and we are still hoping he will get 'match fit' is getting a bit silly.

With Schuster's lack of athleticism, I don't see him ever being the best player in the game. Dylan Brown is already much better than Schu will ever be and I don't think Brown will ever be the best player in the NRL. So I'm not sure why he made that comment and why he would heap more pressure on himself.

He seems a nice bloke with plenty of talent, but he is overpaid, overhyped and I fear he will be maligned for much of his career.

I hope he leaves and not because I don't like him, I just think don't think he is what Manly needs and vice versa.

Schu is a creative talent with good ball skills. However, he is not strong in the effort areas and lacks the body type to play 6. He reminds me a lot of Bryce Cartwright. If we had a competitive team, high on effort, we could probably carry Schu on an edge and use his 'Glenn Stewart-esque' ball skills, but he is no 6. He is being paid too much to play on an edge moving forward, so I think we should cut him loose.

He fades badly in the final 20-30 minutes of matches. There are comments about 'match fitness' but the reality is, providing you're training during the week (which he is) it doesn't take weeks to get match fit. It takes 1 maybe to 2 games, tops. To think that we are moving towards rd.18 (yes, he missed a few games earlier in the year) and we are still hoping he will get 'match fit' is getting a bit silly.

With Schuster's lack of athleticism, I don't see him ever being the best player in the game. Dylan Brown is already much better than Schu will ever be and I don't think Brown will ever be the best player in the NRL. So I'm not sure why he made that comment and why he would heap more pressure on himself.

He seems a nice bloke with plenty of talent, but he is overpaid, overhyped and I fear he will be maligned for much of his career.
Release Schuster and Aloiai.
Sign Curran for less and get an up and coming prop or a lock in. Should have a fair bit to play with still

Last edited:
Well Mestrov did mention Schuster when talking about Luke Brooks coming next year

“We believe his game will only further improve working alongside Daly Cherry-Evans and playing with the likes of Josh Schuster and Tom Trbojevic"

So from this we can assume he's in for a positional switch (Second row or Lock most likely) and not leaving... for now anyways until its official he's re-signed cause we know how him and his manager reacted when we tried to re-sign Foz🤷‍♂️

Well Mestrov did mention Schuster when talking about Luke Brooks coming next year

“We believe his game will only further improve working alongside Daly Cherry-Evans and playing with the likes of Josh Schuster and Tom Trbojevic"

So from this we can assume he's in for a positional switch (Second row or Lock most likely) and not leaving... for now anyways until its official he's re-signed cause we know how him and his manager reacted when we tried to re-sign Foz🤷‍♂️
Yeah, when I read that I was thinking he had already agreed behind the scenes to move back into the forwards or Mestrov is messing with us and knows he won't stay.

I dunno why Schu wants the #6 so much. Look what SBW did with the ball from the second row. I was hoping Schu could have some sort of impact from lock forward. He should look at tapes of Nik Kosef or Mal Reilly.
And he would be able to get a breather. If he focussed on becoming a solid 13, he could be very good.

Unfortunately for the kid, he only occasionally shows glimpses of what he’s capable of. Think back to his form in 2021, and a handful of games this year. He looks every bit a $800k player. Along with the interest from other clubs that brings with it, also pressure for Manly to re-sign him.
But then you look at the last couple of games where he needed to step up and play well, without some key teammates, he couldn’t.
Whether it’s lack of fitness, confidence or just the sheer willingness to push himself? It seems the club has been trying to put systems in place to help him but so far, he’s unable to find any consistency in his form.
Perhaps a move back to the forwards would be a good idea. He wouldn’t be playing the full 80mins and he’s still on an edge where he could set up the play, like he did in 2021. Just needs to get that defensive attitude back, that seems to have gone missing.

My guess (and it's only a guess) is Schu has been told there is a switch on the cards and it's a case of take it or leave it. Going off what he has said in the past (I can be the best player in the NRL) and his manager agitating to get Foran sold off, he will leave it and look elsewhere. Just speculating.

Schuster only has this season to play 5/8 and I don't see him in the backrow unless his work rate picks up. I could see Schuster exploring his options now since he will no longer be playing 5/8.

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8