The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Needs a stint in Reggie’s as a back rower to harden the **** up. Play Matterson, Fainu or Arthur as 6 until brooks arrives next year. Major blunder signing this bloke to a long term deal.

I turned off after the Cows first try, because I legitimately knew Manly would lose, but before that, I thought he kicked very well.
Yeah, I didn't think he was that bad. We scored two tries, one from a DCE kick and one from a regulation (ie, not no-look) pass from Schuster. The lack of run metres is a worry, and his defensive reads are still tentative, but overall, he wasn't why we lost the game.

When the team plays like crap, the halves ain't gonna shine. DCE hardly looked like the all-conquering captain of Queensland out there either.

For one reason or another (body shape, salary, perceived brashness, etc), whether he plays in the halves or as a forward, the Schu is one of those players who is always going to cop it - from Manly fans and fans of other clubs - for being, for want of a more sophisticated description, "fat and lazy". Latrell Mitchell, who has achieved about as much as any NRL player could ever hope to achieve, is on the same hiding to nothing. Yes, the flashes of brilliance will be acknowledged, but as soon as the brilliance goes missing, the failings of the team will be placed squarely on his shoulders.

Josh is going to need a thick skin (and no, I'm not talking about skinfold tests), because even if the team does improve and he can develop some consistency in his game, that label will never go away. He could play brilliantly for the rest of the season, pushing us into finals contention, and as soon as he plays one dud game, there will always be somebody who says, "See? I told you he was fat and lazy."

I hope he realises that he can't rely on "eyes up footy" just coming to him all the time. There needs to be a plan - and I doubt the team plan for a 100+kg half that never takes on the line.

It’s probably worth pointing out to those with reservations about Schu’s game, that we’ve purchased a new 6 for next year. Essentially, the coaching staff see what you’re all seeing because they’ve gone and bought a replacement.

It’s probably worth pointing out to those with reservations about Schu’s game, that we’ve purchased a new 6 for next year. Essentially, the coaching staff see what you’re all seeing because they’ve gone and bought a replacement.
I’m just concerned they might shift DCE to hooker in his final years which has happened to others in the past.

Yeah, I didn't think he was that bad. We scored two tries, one from a DCE kick and one from a regulation (ie, not no-look) pass from Schuster. The lack of run metres is a worry, and his defensive reads are still tentative, but overall, he wasn't why we lost the game.

When the team plays like crap, the halves ain't gonna shine. DCE hardly looked like the all-conquering captain of Queensland out there either.

For one reason or another (body shape, salary, perceived brashness, etc), whether he plays in the halves or as a forward, the Schu is one of those players who is always going to cop it - from Manly fans and fans of other clubs - for being, for want of a more sophisticated description, "fat and lazy". Latrell Mitchell, who has achieved about as much as any NRL player could ever hope to achieve, is on the same hiding to nothing. Yes, the flashes of brilliance will be acknowledged, but as soon as the brilliance goes missing, the failings of the team will be placed squarely on his shoulders.

Josh is going to need a thick skin (and no, I'm not talking about skinfold tests), because even if the team does improve and he can develop some consistency in his game, that label will never go away. He could play brilliantly for the rest of the season, pushing us into finals contention, and as soon as he plays one dud game, there will always be somebody who says, "See? I told you he was fat and lazy."
Can’t run and can’t tackle. Will not “play brilliantly“ this or any season. ‘Fat and lazy’ is spot on.

Yep, so what’s the thinking, he plays 13, perhaps an Edge, either way I’m struggling with it, we all know he can ball play, but his defence, willingness to run and work ethic is sketchy AF.

Yep, so what’s the thinking, he plays 13, perhaps an Edge, either way I’m struggling with it, we all know he can ball play, but his defence, willingness to run and work ethic is sketchy AF.
What ever position he plays next year or beyond the worrying thing is his lack of speed. I think other other than Woods he would be our slowest player over any distance.
Perhaps he is carrying an injury?

Ball play at 13 in the middle when we’ve got the ball and defend wider. He needs to start developing a running game to make his ball playing more of a threat.

What ever position he plays next year or beyond the worrying thing is his lack of speed. I think other other than Woods he would be our slowest player over any distance.
Perhaps he is carrying an injury?
He still doesn’t look fit. He used to have a pretty good turn of speed and played in the centres on occasions when he was younger. No doubt he can be quicker than what he is currently showing. It looks like he wants to run and step at times but his body is moving slower than his brain.

Unfortunately, I think we have already seen Schuster's best. Bringing him into the lock position next season will only further weaken our defence, and confuse our attack. Playing him off the bench will also just be a waste of a bench spot. Schuster has become a massive problem for us.

Unfortunately, I think we have already seen Schuster's best. Bringing him into the lock position next season will only further weaken our defence, and confuse our attack. Playing him off the bench will also just be a waste of a bench spot. Schuster has become a massive problem for us.
Be patient he'll get there. Even Bryce Cartwright is running and tackling now (and he's still only 28)

And other clubs have identified that on field and apparently don’t want a bar of him off field.

Again it all goes back to the Penns. Another one of the myriad consequences of their involvement in the club.

We got murdered in the middle. We had a ref that called us off in an instant, let them step off the mark and then called our markers out and let them roll on. Yet when we had the ball they were all over us like a rash and the set re re starts at 7 -3 pretty made it very difficult for us. The anti manly boys will say poor discipline but I reckon they were just as bad as us. Drinkwater pushing the guy playing the ball over into the dummy half on their goal line without a penalty was extraordinary. The result is that the pack get gassed whilst they roll on through the middle. There is no way a half is going to shine behind a well beaten pack in those circumstances.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10