The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Wont happen even if you wish it would. The contract is signed and the money spent. No other team is going to fork out the equivalent monies and if they offer much less, Manly is paying the remainder for several years for no one playing. Waste of time contemplating having him leave. Would you accept less to go elsewhere? Same argument about DCE years back. Better to concentrate on getting the best out of what you have. Yes, I agree the contract was higher than I would have thought reasonable, but like with DCE, other teams were snooping and Manly obviously thought they had to pay overs to keep them. Hopefully it will be worth it. It was with DCE.
I just don't agree that Schuster has the ticker, fitness, hunger and the dedication for the game of rugby league like DCE was who was already a premiership winner when he signed that mammoth contract. Let's see how Schuster goes this year at blacktown.

I just don't agree that Schuster has the ticker, fitness, hunger and the dedication for the game of rugby league like DCE was who was already a premiership winner when he signed that mammoth contract. Let's see how Schuster goes this year at blacktown.
The Shu proved he has the Ticker and the ability to get fit and play well at NRL level as he did under Des and in the back Row

The Question is Does he have the Dedication ?

I like this lock switch for Schuster. Been calling for it for a minute after the 6 experiment failed. What it does it takes him off the edge to make those sliding defensive decisions where he's been caught looking silly many times in the last 12 months. This just forces him to tackle the big boys coming through the middle.

Will have to utilise his running game much more now but that middle link up play he provides with the top level ball playing skills he has, that's scary. If he comes good as a lock just imagine a spine of Turbo, Brooks Chez Crocker and Schuster lock. Jake to prop with reduced minutes. That has so much threat, X factor and skill, will just absolutely rip apart defences across the compeititon. Don't hold out on Schuster boys.

Jake these days has to be prop, just like he is for NSW or when selected for Australia. The only reason he has been at 13 at Manly is because we’ve had no one of his ability to replace him there.

It’s up to Schu to convince Seibs he can fill the 13 role and Manly gains, rather than loses, by shifting Jake to prop.

If the Schu fits, the team can wear it. 😂😂😂
Been saying for years he could be the next glenn Stewart for us

I like this lock switch for Schuster. Been calling for it for a minute after the 6 experiment failed. What it does it takes him off the edge to make those sliding defensive decisions where he's been caught looking silly many times in the last 12 months. This just forces him to tackle the big boys coming through the middle.

Will have to utilise his running game much more now but that middle link up play he provides with the top level ball playing skills he has, that's scary. If he comes good as a lock just imagine a spine of Turbo, Brooks Chez Crocker and Schuster lock. Jake to prop with reduced minutes. That has so much threat, X factor and skill, will just absolutely rip apart defences across the compeititon. Don't hold out on Schuster boys.
If he’s gonna be in the 13 he needs to get his defence sorted - as he’ll be in the middle. Which tbh is probably what he should just focus on anyway. Up n back tackling anything that’s near him. Best way to get his fitness sorted. We all know his skills with the ball. It’s his dedication and fitness everybody questions.a lot of that can be worked on purely through an attitude shift towards his work on the defensive side.

The fact is that he had injury set backs and has not been able to train and that also has had a major impact .

Is he in the best head space for playing footy you ask @Wombat64 ?
Our club is giving him all the assistance and opportunity to succeed on the field
but in the end it is all up to the Shu
So its watch this space ....

In conclusion
Sht will happen to every one as its is part of life
How individuals deal with it is part of their character make up
Soldiers come home from war after seeing their best mates head blown off and their brains sprayed every where . Some Soldiers lead a normal life and others mental state and head space is stuck for ever in their own warzone and struggle for life

This photo Epitomizes The Great Never Say Die Anzac Spirit and Heroes of our Nation
We Will Remember them
Lest we forget :h:
View attachment 26402
Others come home with PTSD.

Anyway the whole point of my post was just to say that I have decided to cut the kid a break and not joining any pile on. What he and others have been through with this was ****en awful.

I can see why you would perceive Schuster's manner in the way you have, and maybe there is a problem in that regard. Its however difficult to interpret motivation in other people because we tend to see things through our eyes and not theirs.

Some points though. Its most unlikely that a first grade footballer lacks at least a significant amount of ticker, hunger, dedication, otherwise they would never have reached the level they have. These guys are the cream, the top tier of the game and they would have had to work very hard and make many sacrifices to reach that level. How many of us could do that. How many of us have had the commitment in our particular fields to be the top tier of our professions.

The important issue to remember is they are all just like us emotionally They have their doubts, their fears, their disappointments. These things affect some more significantly than others. When things are working fine, confidence is up. Self belief reinforces our drive to do better. Pretty obvious that. Some of us are naturally more confident, more able to deal with the knocks. However, hit a bad patch, when everyone seems to be questioning your ability, resolve etc can affect confidence and drive. I suspect most of us have gone through down periods. Certainly I have and easy for self doubt, even depression to develop. Not easy to get back on track.

We're all different, despite similar range of feelings, in how we deal with those issues. I suspect, but I may be misinterpreting, that Schuster is a confidence person. You can read that in the comments he made about being the best in the World. You wouldn't say that unless you were trying to build up your own confidence. Remember what Spud is reported to have advised him. Don't read social media. He would only say that if he knew Schuster was being negatively affected by what is being written, and how vulnerable his confidence was.

Schuster will come good if he can avoid injury, and get the positive vides about how he's progressing. He's not like Burbo for example who has strong self belief, enough to say no to an upgrade at one stage to prove himself. Its not lack of resolve I suspect Schuster has, its lack of confidence.

It’s only round 2 and it’s his very 1st hit out as he’s missed half of the offseason and no trial under his belt.
I see a world where come finals time he will be our strike weapon off the bench to add a point of difference. If we can get him fit and firing for September he could prove the difference in a very tight affair.

This is definitely a work in progress.
As long as we see improvement with every game he plays I'll be happy. Hopefully by rd 6 the Schu can put up his hand for 1st grade selection.

I can see why you would perceive Schuster's manner in the way you have, and maybe there is a problem in that regard. Its however difficult to interpret motivation in other people because we tend to see things through our eyes and not theirs.

Some points though. Its most unlikely that a first grade footballer lacks at least a significant amount of ticker, hunger, dedication, otherwise they would never have reached the level they have. These guys are the cream, the top tier of the game and they would have had to work very hard and make many sacrifices to reach that level. How many of us could do that. How many of us have had the commitment in our particular fields to be the top tier of our professions.

The important issue to remember is they are all just like us emotionally They have their doubts, their fears, their disappointments. These things affect some more significantly than others. When things are working fine, confidence is up. Self belief reinforces our drive to do better. Pretty obvious that. Some of us are naturally more confident, more able to deal with the knocks. However, hit a bad patch, when everyone seems to be questioning your ability, resolve etc can affect confidence and drive. I suspect most of us have gone through down periods. Certainly I have and easy for self doubt, even depression to develop. Not easy to get back on track.

We're all different, despite similar range of feelings, in how we deal with those issues. I suspect, but I may be misinterpreting, that Schuster is a confidence person. You can read that in the comments he made about being the best in the World. You wouldn't say that unless you were trying to build up your own confidence. Remember what Spud is reported to have advised him. Don't read social media. He would only say that if he knew Schuster was being negatively affected by what is being written, and how vulnerable his confidence was.

Schuster will come good if he can avoid injury, and get the positive vides about how he's progressing. He's not like Burbo for example who has strong self belief, enough to say no to an upgrade at one stage to prove himself. Its not lack of resolve I suspect Schuster has, its lack of confidence.
Well said @Bearfax and totally agree it's a confidence thing with the Shu. Lots of contributing factors here that would destroy anyone's self confidence but not the least of which has been his varying / changing position(s) in the team. I think they have nailed it this weekend by naming him at 13. I think this is his best position and I would have him exclusively playing in that middle for a few games and not complicate and confound this by also having him "link" out wide. The KISS principle will be of major benefit here as he moves forward with his role and fitness.

I think they have nailed it this weekend by naming him at 13. I think this is his best position and I would have him exclusively playing in that middle for a few games and not complicate and confound this by also having him "link" out wide. The KISS principle will be of major benefit here as he moves forward with his role and fitness.
Whatever other locks can do with the ball, Schuster will be able to surpass. He just needs to improve in effort areas such as hit ups, kick chase etc.

There’s a strong chance Schuster will play in the middle in attack and defend on an edge.
There are a few possible variations for the Shu. However I would be keeping it really simple for him with a view of getting him more focused and fitter. He could be really destructive in that middle of the park in and amongst the big boys particularly as they get tired. Gives us a whole new point of attack in addition to out wide where I think we are pretty well covered. Be interesting to see what his game plan will be at 13 in the reserves this week.

What happens to Brown? Jake has been starting at 13 and then moves to Prop and and Brown comes on at 13.
Brown should be and on current form on the bench as a minimum if Shu was to somehow make a go as an effective 13 .
Have previously of course tried Dylan Walker there and a group of other forwards in recent times to compliment Jake .
Manly different types of roles and playing styles with most of the present and established N R L 13 's
Maybe Shu can show enough after a few games or so as the Blacktown 13 to warrant a shot there in the top grade .
Certainly going to be some competition then for the remaining bench spots and especially if Lodge returns in due course and Lawton the sub for Froggy .
Paseka a given either starting or big minutes in the middle ,
Probably again Brown a front runner , then Alioai , Bully, Sipps ,
All contingent again on Shu showing something a bit special before not too long .

Brown has been fantastic off the bench, and Ben is good on the left edge. Schu may have to bide his time and build up some form in reserves. I am looking forward to him being back when ready.

He might do a Jackson Hastings at NSW cup training and just when the training is about to begin, grabs his kit bag, walks off the field and catches the bus home, maybe with a stop along the way?

As usual there is a lot of noise about Josh and his form.

His first game back was way underwhelming and lets see if hes prepared to put in the work to break back into the first team or if he sinks into the abyss of mediocrity!

He might do a Jackson Hastings at NSW cup training and just when the training is about to begin, grabs his kit bag, walks off the field and catches the bus home, maybe with a stop along the way?
This is frankly completely uneccesary and wrong. I haven't heard a single criticism of him being a bad trainer, no matter where he is. The issue is his fitness outside of that training environment. For example, running frequently for the first time only recently, by his own account, and those general things, are his problem area. Not on the training paddock or his attitude there. He has never been said to just quit and leave. Seibold's said that he's a good trainer himself. This kind of invalid commentary is uneccesary given his situation.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8