The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Are you sure about that? Keppie is getting paid the same or more at Souths than his extension at Manly?

Both Fainu brothers were signed with Manly thru 2024, but not $1 is being paid by Manly for them to be at Wests this year?

Think about it gents.

We arenā€™t paying for Keppie as Souths took on the full freight.

Im certain that itā€™s the same storey for the brothers at the Tigepies. They were originally going to the dolphins, but when Bennett changed his mind after an altercation in the under 20s SOO. The Tigers were desperate for the boys and Fulton took all the credit for landing them but was really by default.
Amongst all of this, both clubs were willing to pay for freight for the boys.

NRL 2024: What Josh Schusterā€™s release means for Manly and the $800,000 reserve grader​

Manly Sea Eagles have granted $800,000 reserve grader Josh Schuster an immediate release from the club, with a secret contract clause revealed that has safeguarded the club from a significant financial loss.

Manly could be the new kingpin on the open market ā€“ with the revelation they have safeguarded themselves from needing to pay out any of Josh Schusterā€™s remaining $2.4 million contract.
The once highly touted prodigy, who was scouted as a 13-year-old by rugby league Immortal Bob Fulton, is on the hunt for a new club after Manly management gave him permission on Wednesday to leave the club immediately.

The 22-year-oldā€™s shock emergence as a free agent is a sudden about-face by the Sea Eagles, who last June extended his contract through until 2027 which was estimated at $800,000 season.

The deal was hugely contentious among fans and commentators, who questioned the investment in the 50-game talent.

However, in a sign that the club are unwilling to waver from the standards they are aiming to instil, Manly have made the call to cut Schuster from their roster for performance reasons.

The Daily Telegraph understands Manly management protected themselves with performance clauses in Schusterā€™s contract.

Josh Schuster is free to negotiate with rival clubs. Picture: NRL Imagery

Josh Schuster is free to negotiate with rival clubs. Picture: NRL Imagery
Schuster has spent the past three weeks playing in the NSW Cup playing both in the back row and at lock.

His inability to crack the NRL so far this season follows on from a challenging pre-season.

The signs were originally positive last October that Schuster had finally bought into a training regimen which would see him capitalise on his talent. He had been meeting the weight-clauses in his contract but that all changed after a summer plagued by illness, finger surgery and a calf strain.

That led to a delayed start to the season and his current status in the NSW Cup.

Privately, Manly officials want nothing but the best for Schuster. They want him to succeed as an NRL footballer and believe that a change of club will awaken his immense talent.

The club has offered him every support to achieve his goals.

Where Schuster ends up in the NRL will now become the focus for both him and his management.

Schuster has been struggling for form in the NSW Cup. Picture: NRL Photos

Schuster has been struggling for form in the NSW Cup. Picture: NRL Photos
The Titans make the most sense for a rebooted Schuster to reunite with former Manly coach Des Hasler. The Dragons have ruled out making any formal play for him and interest from other clubs will largely depend on his asking price.

Coach Anthony Seibold confirmed Schuster was free to leave at the end of the season.

ā€œWe have given him permission to find another club,ā€ Seibold said.

Schuster was meant to be Manlyā€™s long-term five-eighth, but struggled to nail down a starting spot.

Following Luke Brooksā€™ off-season arrival from the Wests Tigers, the Sea Eagles transitioned Schuster, at 106kg and 185cm, to an edge forward role.

However, Seibold has preferred Haumole Olakauā€™atu and Ben Trbojevic as his first-choice back-rowers.

Even though Trbojevic has been named in the centres this week as a replacement for Reuben Garrick (concussion), Corey Waddell has been elevated to the starting spot.

Picture: Jason McCawley/Getty Images

Picture: Jason McCawley/Getty Images
Schuster was not even in the 22-man squad to take on the New Zealand Warriors in Auckland on Saturday afternoon.

Instead, he will play lock for NSW Cup feeder club Blacktown against the Warriors in the curtain raiser at Go Media Stadium.

Schuster now faces an immense challenge to convince another club to take a chance on him. No one questions his talent but his dedication and desire have been his downfall since bursting into the scene four years ago.

Manly were so convinced of his talents they let Kieran Foran depart with a view to handing Schuster the No. 6 jersey. However, his career has unravelled in spectacular fashion over the past year, leading to Manly running out of patience.

At the heart of the issue had been Schusterā€™s desire to push himself, some questioning whether the turning point was the death of his close friend Keith Titmuss during preseason training in 2020.

Schuster recently gave evidence at the coronial inquest into Titmussā€™ death.

- Spoony can't coach any young players, aka his Broncos disaster, so since Schu actually needs help in several areas, including coaching - Spoony is letting him go, just like the other up and coming juniors - eg Fainu brothers.

I've seen you repeat this point over and over and honestly I think its an absurdly simplistic take.

At Souths in 2018 he gave regular minutes to Cam Murray (20), Adam Doueihi (20), Tevita Tatola (21) and Campbell Graham (19).

At the Broncos he basically had a team of only youth, with the handful oh older players (Darius, Alex Glenn, Gillett, McCullough) hardly rated as leaders of note. If your argument is he couldn't compete with only kids then sure, but thats stands for nearly all.

Whilst he was there Haas (19-20), Fifita (19-20) and Coates (18-19) all played SOO. Also had Staggs, Farnworth and Flegler garnering attention.

Young players have thrived under Seibold.

Sure the 2020 Broncos were a dumpster fire but that was not due to individual young players struggling.

Last edited:
I've seen you repeat this point over and over and honestly I think its an absurdly simplistic take.

At Souths in 2018 he gave regular minutes to Cam Murray (20), Adam Doueihi (20), Tevita Tatola (21) and Campbell Graham (19).

At the Broncos he basically had a team of only youth, with the handful oh older players (Darius, Alex Glenn, Gillett, McCullough) hardly rated as leaders of note. If your argument is he couldn't compete with only kids then sure, but thats stands for nearly all.

Whilst he was there Haas (19-20), Fifita (19-20) and Coates (18-19) all played SOO. Also had Staggs, Farnworth and Flegler garnering attention.

Sure the 2020 Broncos were a dumpster fire but that was not due to individual yound players struggling.

They wanted Kevvie, no matter the cost.

Sure the 2020 Broncos were a dumpster fire but that was not due to individual yound players struggling.
The comment made that the coach canā€™t coach young players is way too simplistic.

Some coaches would be better with younger players ( Bennett us probably a good example ) but all coaches can coach all players , itā€™s more about wether the young player wants to listen.

Performance related contract !!

We arenā€™t as dumb as some think we are , REGARDLESS oh how much heā€™s being paid.

He finds a other club , at a lesser $$$ value or gets unloaded at years end would be my take.

Titans would be morals.
Seibs & Mestrov must have been sitting back having a good old laugh when people were going on & on about how stupid Manly were to sign the new contract.

There is no way he will walk away from $800k a year with nearly 5 years remaining.
He would struggle making most of NRL sides.
Maybe Gold Cost our only hope.
He still can earn 800k playing somewhere else. Manly pays 350k and another club offers 450k. We free up 450k on our cap, he collects 800k combined from both clubs, and attempts to find his feet elsewhere.

I'm surprised the Telegraph didn't lead with "Schu gets the boot for being a loafer" On a serious note, it's hard to be too critical, he never brought the club into disrepute for being a dickhead and he was never a cheapshot merchant.
I think he's just a young bloke who lost his way and maybe just lost his passion for the game (I guess that remains to be seen) Either way I wonder if they'll use his money on a marquee player or most of it will go in upgrades.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8