The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Dave Taylor
Jamhal Idris
Josh Schuster
and you can include this guy that had the RL world at his feet - could have been anything
1712782924660.png

Agree but since posting this, it has come to our attention that performance clauses were put into the contract so it may not be as stupid as it first looked?
True, the club MAY have insulated themselves from paying him as he hasn't met his KPI's, but I doubt it very much that the NRL would allow Manly to have his total contract wiped from our salary cap, it's not as simple as that, as Zac Lomax will find when he tries to switch clubs, as the Dragons will have to carry any shortfall in his new contract.
Unless of course both players manage to find clubs that are prepared to take them on at their full contract value, which is no chance with Schuster and probably no chance with Lomax

Sure, case in point is Penrith were they mass produce juniors at a phenomenal rate. The rest of us, maybe one or two if we're lucky.
Same with Brisbane. Broncs throwing boots and kit to any kid who remotely shows any talent up here. Storm have keyed in on that as well and the volume of juniors. Couple of those schools in Townsville now arguably have some of the best RL programs in QLD. That’s not to say you can keep them all. Hopefully our recruiters are very active up here as well.

He is still young and has time to sort out his life. He should resign and walk away from his contract obligations with Manly and take a long holiday this winter in the Greek islands. If he still wants to play league next year with another club then he should start on a new fresh contract with another club.
Yep, it takes guts to walk away from such a constant in your life, but Chanel Harris-Tavita took a year off from the Warriors when his heart wasn't in it, and he's back playing good footy this year.

Josh is so young and has so much talent, but I can't remember the last time I saw him with a smile on his face.

I agree Schuster has had some useless games. But Tommy wouldn’t have featured in most of those useless games.

Think back to Tommy’s best 3 games last year. Parra, Canberra and Dolphins. Schuster was the 5/8 in those 3 games.

Brooks has been good for us. An actual running threat. But that’s not my point I’m trying to make. He does not CURRENTLY create the same space for Tommy like Schuster did.
Schu was great at going to the line very directly drawing in the defenders. His size would have prob meant that more than one defender needed to pay attention to him as well. Brooks drifts a little sideways I notice on the sweep plays not majorly tho. We are a little like this in both sides tbh. I think tine will correct that. Still very early days.

I think if Josh wasn’t on such big money he’d be worth keeping for a little while as clearly his headspace isn’t right and it may eventually , “ clear “.

But the big question is , can that headspace be cleared whilst at Manly ???

Purely on a personal front I think he’ll be better at another club , and with a system that’s possibly harder than ours.

Bellamy would fix him , as would Wayne Bennett, and possibly Des Hasler.

I do not think he should go to the Super League , that’s easier big he’ll be a long way from family & there will be many distractions.

Think you still need a very good junior system, the Titans are an example of a poor system.

Panthers,Donkeys, Storm and you could argue the Cowboys benefit with their salary cap having strong systems in place.

Hopefully the club keeps on producing youngsters, young Hoppa is probably the pick of the younger players at age.
Think you still need juniors , but you also need to not be drawn into the hype and pay big dollars.

The $300k a year for Latu was the most ridiculous payment for a 16 year old I’ve heard of at the club.

Very talented , but zero guarantee he’ll be a superstar.

And as we’ve seen , a complete & utter waste of funds.

True, the club MAY have insulated themselves from paying him as he hasn't met his KPI's, but I doubt it very much that the NRL would allow Manly to have his total contract wiped from our salary cap, it's not as simple as that, as Zac Lomax will find when he tries to switch clubs, as the Dragons will have to carry any shortfall in his new contract.
Unless of course both players manage to find clubs that are prepared to take them on at their full contract value, which is no chance with Schuster and probably no chance with Lomax
I doubt the performance clauses are the entire value of the contract, but they’d certainly contribute to a portion of it being void and that’s good for us.

Also, if the contract is void, there’s nothing the nrl can do about it, other than what we pay him our for, plus the 6 months of this year (because pre season is included.

I think if Josh wasn’t on such big money he’d be worth keeping for a little while as clearly his headspace isn’t right and it may eventually , “ clear “.

But the big question is , can that headspace be cleared whilst at Manly ???

Purely on a personal front I think he’ll be better at another club , and with a system that’s possibly harder than ours.

Bellamy would fix him , as would Wayne Bennett, and possibly Des Hasler.

I do not think he should go to the Super League , that’s easier big he’ll be a long way from family & there will be many distractions.

Wouldn’t it be funny if we resigned him at $250k after this year now his existing contract has been terminated.
Would that change people’s opinion?

Last edited:
Sure the club can say that he didn't fullfil his obligation due to attitude and fitness, and may give the club reason to tell him to look elsewhere, however I can't see how his contract won't be included in our salary cap, as this can open up a real can of worms, because I can't see another club picking him up for anywhere we are paying him.

The contract will be terminated at the end of the year. So as it stands we have the obligation to pay the rest of this year but non after that.
If a club wants him this year we will have to chip in but only for the 2024 season.

At the moment we are carrying his full contract for absolutely zero return.

Anything better than the current situation is a bonus.
Absolutely, however what a waste it will be if we still have to carry probably over half of his contract.

Dessie tried to sort him out while at Manly and struggled to get the right results. I think Schusters heart isn't committed to the game of rugby league.

I think his body isn't tbh.

Too big and heavy and is only going to get harder for him.

See as a junior that's not a problem because his body was still youthful and growing. So he was a big fast talented kid killing it. With vision and ball playing skills that mesmerised opponents.

As a young man his body is still growing and he's looking more like a slow prop forward.
The skills are still there but not much else, and if your gassed in a game your skills won't shine either.

And as we all know with age its harder to lose weight..and he has been in a battle with his body for 2 years now..

Sadly his body is destined to continue to go north on the size and on the scales..
I'm a fan always have been but unfortunately the writing is on the wall for all to see, he's body shape will kill off his potential footy career

The contract will be terminated at the end of the year. So as it stands we have the obligation to pay the rest of this year but non after that.
If a club wants him this year we will have to chip in but only for the 2024 season.
I'm not concerned about how much to club will save, or be out of pocket, my concern is that the NRL will still make us wear his contract in our salary cap, despite the fact that he didn't fullfil his contractual obligations.
If he was sacked for gross misconduct then the NRL would probably wipe it out of our salary, but for not performing?, half of the big contracted players are not performing, this is a very grey area salary capwise

They have reported on NRL 360 through Chammas that the clauses are around his weight, the club are confident he has not met the criteria stipulated.

Also mentioned he has been given the opportunity to talk with other clubs and his contract would be cut at the end of this season.
I hope I'm wrong and we are able to enforce some form of get out clause and get something back for this bloke. But surely such a contract with weight or effort stipulations would be EXTREMELY tough to enforce if challenged in court by Schuster.

Like I said hope to be wrong but it smells to me like those who have signed off on this decision are trying to muddy the waters and make it seem like they haven't made such a calamitous mistake that will impact us for years..... when it seems pretty obvious that they have.

Our management have been Ok of late so you've gotta take the rough with the smooth sometimes, but I think they're trying to polish a t*rd here quite clearly.

I believe we are a strike centre/winger away from a serious premiership contending side. One that is also a quality defender. I know it's a smarter decision to blood backs from the system rather than spending money on buying established ones but with the amount we got to spend, it's the position I'd be looking at handling straightaway.

Lehi and Clayton, as exciting they may be in reggies, are still down the pecking order from Talau and Paulo. So it'll take injuries for them to be blooded. I reckon we have a pretty open premiership window until Chez retires, so instead of waiting around for Lehi or Clayton, might as well use this spare change on a top level back.
I reckon you're not far off the mark with us needing a centre. I know we're trying Rubes (and he might make a good one eventually) but we've bought in strike centres before and it's paid off. It might be cherry picking a bit but we bought in O'Connor - GF, we bought in Hill - GF, we bought in Innes - GF, so sometimes bringing them thru the "system" isn't always the best way. I had high hopes for Feledy thru the system and we lost him to the Tigers.

I reckon you're not far off the mark with us needing a centre. I know we're trying Rubes (and he might make a good one eventually) but we've bought in strike centres before and it's paid off. It might be cherry picking a bit but we bought in O'Connor - GF, we bought in Hill - GF, we bought in Innes - GF, so sometimes bringing them thru the "system" isn't always the best way. I had high hopes for Feledy thru the system and we lost him to the Tigers.
A bloke named Lyon also rings a “Bell”

Schuster frees up $625k per year
Turuvu, Lomax, etc may be a stretch. I would consider Izaac Thompson. Big body, plays centre or wing, great yardage, solid experience. I reckon with Souths' situation, we could swoop in and really bolster our backline. Probably have a little left for upgrades too, and we don't rock the boat by bringing in another prima donna

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8