The past, the present and the future

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Good post Mark you may have been down on the club and the position it finds itself in but to me that just shows your passion for the club .
I think what intensifies a lot of talk and goings on is that in todays world is the social media participation that covers such a world wide opinion . Usually we would only talk to your mates at work / the pub or at games when you catch up and thats as far as it goes but today with even this forum we talk to each other from our different locations and have more opinions it brings a lot more to the fore .
The club has to make a lot of your points a priority for it to move forward in todays game you have to be pro -active and not re-active which i think we find ourselves in at the moment of re-acting to what has transpired from players leaving that we thought wouldn't be
So as fans we have to stay positive and not even think of a spoon its still only round 8 we may not get to the heights of previous years but no way are going to get the lows of a having a spoon

Thanks mate and good words from you as well.

Like many on here I've been guilty of being down in the dumps in recent times , it's bloody hard not to when in the immediate past you have had 10 wonderful, exhilarating , entertaining and mostly fruitful years which has been just so enjoyable to be a part of.

Every single club would kill to have been Manly in the 2007-2014 era, and whilst they'd never admit it, every supporter as well.

But that's the past , now let me talk about the present.

I won't rehash everything that's been said already that defeats the purpose of this thread.

I don't know if we will win the spoon but so what if we do!, you need to experience the depths of despair to create the hunger to never see it again, and if we win it this year I bet it will be the only one in my lifetime ( maybe not yours).

We can't control the present , it's here, and whatever will be will be!, so let's just be Manly fans and be thankful we still have a club to support.

We, or at least the management can control the future, and they just must!!

Forget the mistakes, forget the present and just concentrate on the future.

So some dot points from me on where we should be headed.

• sign our promising juniors now ( otherwise someone else will)

• start investing in picking up the best young talent we can find, if they work all well and good, if they don't move them out

• move out the non performing duds now , if not now they must be moved out ASAP, there's talent out there ( lots) we just haven't been astute enough to plan to utilise it.

• invest more in the NSW Cup side , it's your depth and it's clear we have little at this stage, but in saying that don't downgrade the top 25 just for this

• restructure the top 25 by having no single position ( bench forwards aside) with players coming off contract at once, the halved situation should NEVER happen again

• aim for a better mix of experience, mid age and youth in the 25, but no more than 2-3 in the plus 30 year bracket

• refresh each year, and yes that means almost NO long standing one club players, controversial I know but part of what I think will be a winning method

• look at modernising our coaching / training structure because clearly something's not right

• if the coach isn't working, just like the players, move them on, loyalty ( and this is said with sadness) means diddly squat in the modern era

• sort the back office out, employ the best they can find and empower them, if they don't work move them out and quickly

• the Peters situation is untenable, he has to go, and all of this is pointless otherwise

• more fan engagement , treat us like fans not customers so more communication, more player access, more fan days, more Q & A's its not rocket science

• sort the media situation out , if Peters is the leak then getting rid of him will do that , otherwise oust whoever is doing it and find someone who knows what they are doing and can protect the brand!

• and if the Brookvale Development is just a pie in the sky plan then a serious look at where to play, involving stake holders needs to be had. The future is about gaining more sponsorship, obtaining more TPA funding , building a fan base and membership will follow, Brooky in its current guise probably doesn't cut it

So there you have it , my memories of the past , my thoughts on the present and the things I'd do for the future.

It's just a pity I'm only a fan and not the CEO.

Thanks for reading and feel free to shoot me down , or conversely build me up !

I love how @mike walker always says " Cheers Mike" so from me

Cheers
Mark
G'day all, Can't disagree with anything you've said Mark,and thanks for the acknowledgement so for that heres an extra big CHEERS to you.
cheers mike

Like many on here I've been guilty of being down in the dumps in recent times , it's bloody hard not to when in the immediate past you have had 10 wonderful, exhilarating , entertaining and mostly fruitful years which has been just so enjoyable to be a part of.

Every single club would kill to have been Manly in the 2007-2014 era, and whilst they'd never admit it, every supporter as well.

I won't rehash everything that's been said already that defeats the purpose of this thread.

I don't know if we will win the spoon but so what if we do!, you need to experience the depths of despair to create the hunger to never see it again, and if we win it this year I bet it will be the only one in my lifetime ( maybe not yours).

We can't control the present , it's here, and whatever will be will be!, so let's just be Manly fans and be thankful we still have a club to support.

• start investing in picking up the best young talent we can find, if they work all well and good, if they don't move them out

• move out the non performing duds now , if not now they must be moved out ASAP, there's talent out there ( lots) we just haven't been astute enough to plan to utilise it.

• invest more in the NSW Cup side , it's your depth and it's clear we have little at this stage, but in saying that don't downgrade the top 25 just for this

• restructure the top 25 by having no single position ( bench forwards aside) with players coming off contract at once, the halved situation should NEVER happen again

• aim for a better mix of experience, mid age and youth in the 25, but no more than 2-3 in the plus 30 year bracket

• refresh each year, and yes that means almost NO long standing one club players, controversial I know but part of what I think will be a winning method

• look at modernising our coaching / training structure because clearly something's not right

• if the coach isn't working, just like the players, move them on, loyalty ( and this is said with sadness) means diddly squat in the modern era

• sort the back office out, employ the best they can find and empower them, if they don't work move them out and quickly

• the Peters situation is untenable, he has to go, and all of this is pointless otherwise

• more fan engagement , treat us like fans not customers so more communication, more player access, more fan days, more Q & A's its not rocket science

• sort the media situation out , if Peters is the leak then getting rid of him will do that , otherwise oust whoever is doing it and find someone who knows what they are doing and can protect the brand!

• and if the Brookvale Development is just a pie in the sky plan then a serious look at where to play, involving stake holders needs to be had. The future is about gaining more sponsorship, obtaining more TPA funding , building a fan base and membership will follow, Brooky in its current guise probably doesn't cut it

So there you have it , my memories of the past , my thoughts on the present and the things I'd do for the future.

Cheers
Mark
So I've figured out why we suck

You are in civilisation watching games

Go bush, bitch !

Good one @Mark from Brisbane you've said everything that all of us have been thinking and hoping for. Unfortunately the performance of the current management gives me no confidence that they would even read this let alone entertain any of the outstanding ideas there. The fans have been served nothing but a steaming pile of sht since they took over and the pile just seems to get deeper.

I'm going fishing on the Barcoo / Thompson Rivers, Waaaaaay out West, Sat TV , no Silvertails! ( well occasionally )

Cheers
Mark

Great post Mark!

Honest, passionate and objective in equal parts!

Always tried to adhere to this quote an principle; 'the ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy'.

As fans it is hard not to become disillusioned with recent events, and there does not YET seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel, give it time, stick it out, and we know our great club will repay us.

When we do lift our next premiership, it will be worth it to say we never faulted through the hard times to make the good times all the more sweeter.

Keep the faith brother.

...Also who cares if what you've said has already been said - if we weren't allowed to repeat what had previously been said the 'Kieran Forum' and 'DCE Backflip' threads would be about 3 pages long @:D

Good one @Mark from Brisbane you've said everything that all of us have been thinking and hoping for. Unfortunately the performance of the current management gives me no confidence that they would even read this let alone entertain any of the outstanding ideas there. The fans have been served nothing but a steaming pile of sht since they took over and the pile just seems to get deeper.

Have faith mate, have faith, I know it looks bad but my gut says it will work out , eventually !!

Great post Mark!

Honest, passionate and objective in equal parts!

Always tried to adhere to this quote an principle; 'the ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy'.

As fans it is hard not to become disillusioned with recent events, and there does not YET seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel, give it time, stick it out, and we know our great club will repay us.

When we do lift our next premiership, it will be worth it to say we never faulted through the hard times to make the good times all the more sweeter.

Keep the faith brother.

...Also who cares if what you've said has already been said - if we weren't allowed to repeat what had previously been said the 'Kieran Forum' and 'DCE Backflip' threads would be about 3 pages long @:D

Amen brother

We're favourites for the spoon. Can deal with that. If we won the spoon we'd deal with that too.

What's important is not the situation we face, but how we face it.

We just need to act with cool composure, and to act as one.

We're favourites for the spoon. Can deal with that. If we won the spoon we'd deal with that too.

What's important is not the situation we face, but how we face it.

We just need to act with cool composure, and to act as one.

And therin lies the future.

I think management are beset with a bunch of issues they never thought they'd have, and in some respects I feel sorry for Kelly.

I have never met him , nor heard him speak but I gather he's well credentialed and I think we just have to have some patience.

All will be good again, it's the Manly way!!

On the outer Barcoo where the churches are few,
And men of religion are scanty,
On a road never cross'd 'cept by folk that are lost,
One Michael Magee had a shanty.

Cue Bango.....:santa:

Controversial indeed. I'd argue that the fact that we have always had long serving players is the cornerstone to our success. I think Manly would hold the record for the most players to play over 200 games for a club. If you have quality players who are still delivering why wouldn't you want to hold onto them ? especially those in crucial positions (spine). Has worked for Melbourne with the Big 3.

I think the more salient point is not hanging on to those long term players for one or two seasons too long. Maybe we need to be more ruthless in that regard, Broncos seem good at it.

Under the current system there is no advantage for a club in terms of salary cap to reward loyalty. If the NRL change that then you can reward loyalty, but as it stands now it's more of a liability to have good players at the back end of their career because the NRL "overvalue" them and you can't keep them for "unders" - pretty much what happened with Gift.

Personally I like long term players, it's what engages me as a fan. I don't want to follow a side made up of mercenaries who move on every 2-3 years.

My words were " almost " not suggesting none.

With reflection this situation is what brought us undone , if we'd been able to keep Gifty, Watmough and still had loads of dollars we'd have kept Foran.

I'm just of the belief that we cannot again have a situation where we'd have half the side asking to be kept longer than they should just because of past success.

To be honest in the modern era those days are gone anyway, Parker for Brisbane, Vatuvai for Auckland, Sutton for Souths, Stewart / Ballin for Manly , are there any others ?

The Roosters , until recently, had just one , the Count!!

Agree or not to me we will have less crap in the future by keeping only the very best senior players, and moving on the rest!

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8