The Ponga contract circus

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

pt73

Bencher
My son found this on the Telegraph:

The father of star fullback Kalyn Ponga has met Newcastle management to resolve increasing tension in a last-ditch bid to have a withdrawn $3.3m deal for his son reinstated.

Aware he had unsettled the Knights, Andre Ponga met with club officials over the past 48 hours to heal agitation between the two parties and attempt to have his son’s three-year extension rekindled.

A Sydney radio broadcaster even suggested Andre had “apologised”.

It appears Andre’s contrition has worked with well-placed sources indicating Kalyn’s deal for 2025, 2026 and 2027 could now be revived.

Newcastle also felt the need to firmly tell Andre that it was management who ran the club — not him. With Andre promising to pull back at the club, Newcastle now believe the deal can be salvaged.

There is even a suggestion the messy contract drama could be resolved soon with Ponga to remain a Knight although several senior officials will still need to be convinced.

Knights recruitment manager Clint Zammit was spotted by a Telegraph reader flying into Newcastle on Monday to talk with club officials about the Ponga drama.

There are concerns within the Knights organisation about the influence Andre has at Newcastle.

Ponga agreed to the new contract a fortnight ago but Andre – not Newcastle — wanted authority over when to publicly announce the deal. And the club was also concerned at Andre’s intrusion into the club’s NRLW side.

Former NRL player and commentator Jimmy Smith also secured important details on the drama, telling SEN Radio: “The dissatisfaction with the influence that Kalyn’s father, Andre, has at Newcastle … it got to the point where the deal was pulled. It took some resurrection on behalf of Andre.

“From what I understand, Andre spent (Monday) time apologising to key figures within the club. He was involved in the women’s side and then there was speculation around him wanting to manage some of the players, which is a clear conflict of interest.

“The final straw was that they wanted to make the announcement on the Kalyn deal at a time when Andre felt it was appropriate as opposed to the Newcastle Knights.

“The deal gets pulled, it’s back on the table because of Andre’s actions on Monday. We will watch with interest, the deal to be announced very shortly. But it’s a case of the Knights pulling their foot down and saying: ‘Hey, we are in control of this club — not you (Andre)’.”

Another source close to the club said “The story was 100 per cent spot on. The offer was pulled. People are saying it’s not true but it was f...ing true.”

Some officials in rugby league also question why Andre is acting for Kalyn when he’s not an accredited NRL player agent. Andre is however, under NRL rules, permitted to act as an agent for his son given he is a family member.

The Dolphins’ interest in Ponga remains genuine but seems to be waning.

It appears the new NRL club is more focused on Melbourne’s Cameron Munster than Ponga. Young Penrith fullback Sunia Turuva has also been linked to the Dolphins.

Ponga has an option his way for the next two years in his existing Newcastle contract. The three-year extension means the overall deal would span five seasons.

Newcastle CEO Phil Gardner will return from a Hawaiian holiday within the week to clean up the Ponga mess. Gardner has been telling media representatives he will not comment on player contract movement.

“Unfortunately, caught in the middle of all this is Kalyn, who just wants to play some footy. And based on what we saw on Sunday (against St George Illawarra), when he is able to do that and concentrate on his footy, he’s exceptional,” Smith said."

Newcastle are in a tough spot.

Ponga doesn't justify the million plus price tag week in week out in the NRL. But given they really have no chance to attract a franchise talent they have to try and keep him.
It's quite sad. Personally, I don't believe Ponga has lived up to the hype yet. Highly talented, yes. Consistent, no. He reminds me of Shaun Johnson with some freakish talent, but can't just put in stable solid performances on a consistent basis for his team.

If this were happening to us with say Tom Trbojevic, I'd be SO unhappy. I feel for Knights fans. Secondly, The Dolphins better land SOMEONE, they'll be desperate. If Ponga re-signs with the Knights, Munster will become the highest paid player in the NRL, you watch.

How on earth can a parent of a player over the age of 18 years be permitted to be a player management without appropriate accreditation. This is a multi million dollar sport not an amatuer weekend sporting competition. What other sport has a player manager working as a the anchor man of a weekly football show?

If this were happening to us with say Tom Trbojevic, I'd be SO unhappy. I feel for Knights fans. Secondly, The Dolphins better land SOMEONE, they'll be desperate. If Ponga re-signs with the Knights, Munster will become the highest paid player in the NRL, you watch.
This is what happens when the family of the player gets involved and greedy. It's like his old man slips a note under the Knights CEO's office door with a tentative figure on it, all hoping to be well received, instead, the note gets pushed back under the door, with a reply...NO THANKS !!

If I were Newcastle I’d be saying goodbye kaylen and Andre. He’s not worth it. He shines in a **** team, and he isn’t capable of pulling them up from the bottom 8.

For a million bucks they could get 2 or 3 very good players.
This. I understand that there may not be another star out there at the moment they can build a future successful team around, but Ponga is never going to be that guy. He will make money for the club in terms of PR and marketing but I cannot see him ever bringing them on-field success. I know it's probably a long shot now, but I'd be cutting the father-son circus and going hard with a late move on Munster. Worse case scenario, they don't get Munster, then focus on strengthening where they can with an eye to making a play for a star in the next few years. I think Ponga is a distraction and disruption to any team.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 3 5 -55 8