'The Ripper', coached

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
'The Ripper', coached

THIS is the martial arts master who has transformed the Melbourne Storm into a premiership powerhouse.

The Daily Telegraph last night uncovered explosive details of the mystery man who has revolutionised rugby league with his controversial wrestling techniques.

Cage fighter John Donehue holds a black belt (shodan) in both judo and ju-jitsu.

He is regarded as the undisputed king of "grappling and submission" in Australia. He is also the Storm's wrestling coach.

Since joining Melbourne in 2001, Donehue has had such an impact on rugby league that the NRL will this year hold an emergency summit to address wrestling in defence.

In the meantime, Donehue could be the man who propels the Storm to their second premiership on Sunday.

Melbourne's hidden weapon has been gagged from talking, but The Daily Telegraph last night uncovered a website interview where Donehue lifts the lid on the Storm's most guarded secret.

The former WWF R.A.W. submission coach alludes to the contentious "ripper" tackle when he mentions "arm locks". "There are several aspects of wrestling that could be applied to (rugby league) training," Donehue told NHB (No Holds Barred) Fight.

"Tackling styles, arm locks, ways of protecting the football and methods of slowing down the play-the-ball area are all vital parts of the game that can be enhanced.

"I concentrate on upper-body wrestling techniques in terms of tying up the guy who has got the ball and turning him over on to his back in defence.

"I also make sure they understand the finer points of body positioning before they go in to tackle and different ways to bring people down to the ground and control them once there."

Donehue is revered in the world of martial arts. He is one of only four Judo black belts to have ever trained under legendary marshall arts figure Gene LeBell.

A reference from another highly regarded martial arts figure - dated January 1, 1999, highly recommends Donehue "as a coach, teacher and trainer in any submission and grappling arts".

Former Australian Mixed Martial Arts titleholder Jon Leven - a 3rd red tip Jin Wu Koon exponent - last night said Donehue was the best exponent of the grapple in Australia.

"He is a leading figure in our industry," Leven said. But in a stunning admission, Leven declared Anthony Watmough was right when he suggested the "ripper" tackle could wrench an arm right from the socket.

"We use it in MMA. The ripper is when you extend the arm backwards with the palm out," Leven said.

"It will hyper-extend the shoulder and elbow and provide pain.

"If it was to be extended far enough it would snap and it has happened in MMA. It is a move we use to force a submission. It is borderline dangerous, that is why we have the option in MMA to tap and submit."

'The Ripper', coached

I don't know why Bellamy is whingeing about media attention on their wrestling techniques and blaming Manly and the Eels for it.

He's the one who wrote "WRESTLE" in large letters on the team whiteboard last weekend. I couldn't believe it when I saw it.

'The Ripper', coached

0,,5670620,00.jpg

'The Ripper', coached

The eels halves fell to pieces as predicted.

As for the NRL and refs not being able to do anything about the latest 'ripper' outrage, I can't agree. It can't be in the rule book that you can do anything to your opponent including physically ripping limbs or muscles. Send them off will be what I will be yelling on Sunday.

'The Ripper', coached

Bellamy has something to scream about with the leg pull on Slater. Parra players have been doing it all year. The leg wrench does wonders to the groin area and I've noticed Hindmarsh in particular does it all the time.

'The Ripper', coached

Bu then again Hindmarsh is one of the 'protected species', ala Thurston, Marshall, SBW et al.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8