The Sea Eagles say the best is yet to come this season

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
THE Sea Eagles may be sitting on top of the NRL ladder but they say they have not yet fully hit their straps.

Ahead of tomorrow night's clash with the Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium, assistant coach Dave Penna emphasised that the players knew they still had a lot of improvement left in them.

Read More

THE Sea Eagles may be sitting on top of the NRL ladder but they say they have not yet fully hit their straps.

Ahead of tomorrow night's clash with the Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium, assistant coach Dave
Dunamis+Lui+v4dt-vkp1Uem1.jpg
Penna emphasised that the players knew they still had a lot of improvement left in them.

"We are really happy we are starting to play some better football," Penna said.

"It sounds funny but we still haven't played our best football or put a full 80 minutes together yet.

"It's nice to be where we are but we still have to keep working hard on what we are doing."

Manly's rise to stand alone in the No. 1 position on the table has coincided with the outstanding form of star fullback Brett Stewart.

"Snake's been a great player for the club for a long, long time," Penna said.

"He's getting fitter. He's playing well as everybody can see and it's just great to see.

"And he will be a great rugby league player for a few more years, I reckon."

Lock Dunamis Lui gave an insight into the influence Stewart had on the rest of the players in the team.

"He leads us from the back there and the talk he provides has been really good for us," he said.

Lui doesn't expect any surprises in the Bulldogs' approach to tomorrow night's game.

"We know they are going to come down the middle with the size they have," Lui said.

"We spoke about it all week and that is the way  we have been preparing.

"They are missing a few key players but so are we.

"We can't slacken off, we need to be well prepared for them."

Lui, who will start at lock, knows what his role entails tonight.

"To get the team going forward and to stop their big boys, hopefully," he said.

When the two sides last met on June 6 on a heavy Brookvale Oval track, the Sea Eagles ran out convincing winners, 32-10.

Penna said: "They will be hurting after the last time, so it will be really tough, for sure."

Jon Geddes
Manly Daily

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/the-sea-eagles-say-the-best-is-yet-to-come-this-season/story-fngr8iii-1226976646564

Completely agree. We've had injury issues, (gift, halves), we've had suspension (choc) and Snake was out for a while and has only just started being the game breaker he is.

Jorge Taufau isn't playing quite as well as he can.

And I think Jamie Lyon (whilst playing well), has a gear to step up to.

Bring it on!!

Doesn't Dave Penna earn his quid too...

Sitting next to our little general Tooves all game!

Injuries (and suspensions) are the biggest hurdle, but that's true for every team.

And, the issue of the draw sure is a factor now too, when you think about it.

As I've said, just get to the top 4, preferably top 2, and then it's on like donkey-kong!

Lets go one better this year. Minor/major premiership winners.

If we can improve on our current form then I think this will be our year

The players shouldn't have read that and should totally disregard it after last night's game.

I have noticed the meters per 6 tackles - we are not chewing up the metres like our opponents did the past two weeks. We seem to get about 35 - 40 metres but the opposition seem to get 50+ in the sets.

The issue for me this year is our difference between good and bad. In previous years our best is 9 or 10 out of 10, and our worst is a 6 (at the very worst). This year I think our best has been 10 out of 10, but our worst performances have been 1 out of 10.

Now absolutely not suggesting last night was a 1 out of 10. I'd give it about a 5. But this year there is a big difference between our best and worst.

Well, let's hope their best IS yet to come and hasn't been and gone!

So many factors will play a part in achieving their best. Let's hope injuries, discipline, the draw, the refs, the weather, etc, will go our way.

ALinda said:

So many factors will play a part in achieving their best. Let's hope injuries, discipline, the draw, the refs, the weather, etc, will go our way.

Don't worry too much Linda.

I, and many others, are still quietly confident that come September, our best will stand up.

Yes we need a bit of luck with things, but when we have our backs to the wall, and have to win, the real Manly emerges!

(Last night is to learn from, and quickly move on...lol!)

RiverEagle said:
ALinda said:

Don't worry too much Linda.

I, and many others, are still quietly confident that come September, our best will stand up.

Yes we need a bit of luck with things, but when we have our backs to the wall, and have to win, the real Manly emerges!

(Last night is to learn from, and quickly move on...lol!)
for some reason,no matter how crap we play towards the end of the comp rounds,when the semi,s come around,Manly seem to flick a switch and power on to a new level

Killer03 said:
The issue for me this year is our difference between good and bad. In previous years our best is 9 or 10 out of 10, and our worst is a 6 (at the very worst). This year I think our best has been 10 out of 10, but our worst performances have been 1 out of 10.

Now absolutely not suggesting last night was a 1 out of 10. I'd give it about a 5. But this year there is a big difference between our best and worst.

Great point.

Over the last 10 years we (along with cheatin' storm) have been far and away most consistent team in the comp - always put in and hard to beat, even when down 4 or 5 players.

Not so anymore and obviously with Kitey gone, King virtually not there, Gift off next season & others and natural attrition / aging, our mighty era is drawing to a close. Youth must be promoted and hope another crop of superstars not too far away.

Be great to chalk up a premiership this year.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6