The Tim Cleary Mega Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Whether or not Insurance covers their payouts or the club gets salary cap relief is 100% totally fucenked irrelevant to Snake and Matai.

Whatever the clause in their contracts say "in the event of injury" is what they will be paid, by the club and when it says they are to be paid eg normal monthly payments.

I would suggest that other than a passing interest Snake and Matai couldn't give a flying fukcen about Insurance or the salary cap issue.

The problem isn't paying them out and whether insurance does, its that payment being included in the Salary cap for someone who is not able to play at all, thats it.
Thanks for pointing that out to me.And I'll point out to you that Manly,and many other clubs,are paying for players that are not playing for that club.Its how the cap works.Manly should of done their research about their injuries and not bowed to the pressure of re-signing them

Thanks for pointing that out to me.And I'll point out to you that Manly,and many other clubs,are paying for players that are not playing for that club.Its how the cap works.Manly should of done their research about their injuries and not bowed to the pressure of re-signing them

I think most people get that, but I don't think that's the problem. I think this situation is primarily about 2 things:

01. Precedence. Todd Greenburg set a precedent with the cap dispensation for Anthony Watmough, when everyone in the Rugby League world knew he was carrying bung knees. That's why QBE refused the payout. Todd Greenburg did that for a team that had just brought the game into disrepute, and that had cheated other teams (Manly included, and probably the main victim) out of players who could not match offers made.

02. The rules around when the NRL (and Todd Greenburg) offer the dispensation is a totally grey area. Does anyone ever realistically think Todd Greenburg is going to give The Sea Eagles a leg up? It was suggested, that Manly found incriminating E-mails from Greenburg influencing Des Hasler to leave the club during a contract period, which basically evidences his character & integrity.

Secondly, the rules around Long Term Injury Placement, should be like the NHL, where you get cap dispensation in the event of a player being injured, after medically being passed unfit to play by an intermediatry doctor.

Every major sport has these rules, and the NRL is a little pre-historic for not addressing it. In fact the Players Association has a part to play in this, and they have dropped the ball as well.

I think most people get that, but I don't think that's the problem. I think this situation is primarily about 2 things:

01. Precedence. Todd Greenburg set a precedent with the cap dispensation for Anthony Watmough, when everyone in the Rugby League world knew he was carrying bung knees. That's why QBE refused the payout. Todd Greenburg did that for a team that had just brought the game into disrepute, and that had cheated other teams (Manly included, and probably the main victim) out of players who could not match offers made.

02. The rules around when the NRL (and Todd Greenburg) offer the dispensation is a totally grey area. Does anyone ever realistically think Todd Greenburg is going to give The Sea Eagles a leg up? It was suggested, that Manly found incriminating E-mails from Greenburg influencing Des Hasler to leave the club during a contract period, which basically evidences his character & integrity.

Secondly, the rules around Long Term Injury Placement, should be like the NHL, where you get cap dispensation in the event of a player being injured, after medically being passed unfit to play by an intermediatry doctor.

Every major sport has these rules, and the NRL is a little pre-historic for not addressing it. In fact the Players Association has a part to play in this, and they have dropped the ball as well.
Thank you for a well thought out and intelligent reply based on facts.I was unaware of the final outcome of the Watmough situation as so much happened at Parra last year,it was hard to keep track of all the turgid details and it was difficult to separate the fact from fiction by the medias report.The NRL are so far behind most major sports because they allow the clubs to dictate the terms and the CEO more often than not has an allegiance to a club or is a weak yes man.What doesn't help a club is the cloak and dagger approach they have to players injuries.There should be full disclosure.Brett Stewart is a prime example of this.So many times in his career Manly would say he's out for eg say,4 weeks,then 1hr before kick off he'd be named after only missing 2

We provided the NRL a top 24 list of players that did not include Stewart or Matai. I may be wrong, but does that mean one is resolved? That money would have to included in our top 25 paid players otherwise. One down, one to go..

Last edited:
The problem is that Watmough was in great health before that unfortunate "incident" with Beau Scott and he probably would have played another 10 years. His "retirement" was totally unforeseen.

Oh wait...

"I've torn biceps off the bone," Watmough said. "I need to get my knee injected every game just to play. My shoulder injected. My fingers go numb every game. That's just what we do as a sport. It's a brutal sport, a collision sport.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...en-lockyers-games-record-20150612-ghmkaa.html

It shouldn't be too hard to win this one - right?

Whenever 'rules' are not easy to understand and readily available for all to see, there will be allegations of favouritism and corruption. Just what the NRL does not need, and yet so easy to fix. Earn your money, Greenberg.

Hey all,
My first post.. saw this on SMH (just breaking) though it needed sharing.. wow!
(By Danny Wiedler).. Would post the link but I need to get my post count up.

Kristie's removal is a clear warning from Cleary that he has bigger targets in mind. He would have known the ramifications of her dismissal. It is worth noting that Fulton runs the football department and Cleary the administration, making Fulton a hard target, if that's Cleary's intention.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8