The Time to Experiment...NOW!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Killer03

Bencher
Ok, easy for me to say, it's not my head on the coaching chopping block. But as an armchair expert (and I admit that's all I am) this is the time to experiment. We are last and it's fair to say there is little to lose. If things continue as they are Tooves gets the bullet. If he rolls the dice, he at least has a punchers chance.

To me that's:
1) Tommy Turbo just has to play going forward where possible (ok there might be times to rest him a week here or there as he gets used to first grade, but he needs 1st grade games, we will only benefit from this next year and going forward)
2) Jorge into the backrow (again I have zero knowledge on how he will go) I do worry about how his defence will go. Especially making 20+ tackles. But if we don't try....we'll never find out. So why not. It could be a master stroke. Since we also never seem to use that 4th forward on the bench, Jorge could move there and get some game time.
3) Hiku (do we occasionally give him a run in the halves?)

I really think now is the time to do it. And for Tooves to show he isn't Mr Conservative. As it doesn;t seem to be helping currently.

You are right this is a good time to experiment, that is why I suggested to my wife that we try a Menage a Trois
She isn't too keen on the idea though
Those third party deals are a real sticking point at the moment.

There is a good article today about the way the Ipswich Jets are playing "experimental" rugby league, and succeeding. Ideas we have been floating on here for years, such as short kick-offs where The Jets regain the ball more than 50% of the time; not wrestling; throwing the ball wide and not having big forwards dying with the ball; attacking from scums . . .
There is too much predictability at NRL level. With our season close to over wouldn't it be refreshing to see Fulton, 2V, Johns and our other 'brains trust' start implementing new ways to attack?

There is a good article today about the way the Ipswich Jets are playing "experimental" rugby league, and succeeding. Ideas we have been floating on here for years, such as short kick-offs where The Jets regain the ball more than 50% of the time; not wrestling; throwing the ball wide and not having big forwards dying with the ball; attacking from scums . . .
There is too much predictability at NRL level. With our season close to over wouldn't it be refreshing to see Fulton, 2V, Johns and our other 'brains trust' start implementing new ways to attack?
I do think teams when they do start doing something a bit odd, even like Pat Richards kick offs, it can cause confusion with the opposition and more often than not a result will come of it. Even if the result is that little bit of 'what are they going to do here?' attitude. This can really cause teams to be worried about the unpredictability of the their opponents.

Totally agree with some innovation & love to see the style of football that Ipswich are playing - basically a style to break down the opposition without the robotic structures.
This style was actually used by the Tigers the season they won the GF over Cows.
There is an area we have to consider on the flipside, the Tigers team was full of youth & lead around by the unpredictable Benji Marshall, where the 2015 Manly team is far slower & besides the inconsistent Mateo, lack that 2nd phase play.
Besides DCE, Hodges & Snake, the players are fairly predictable, quality - but predictable.
The team playing above itself atm is Illawarra who have adopted the defensive strategy, playing field position & strangling the opposition.
Almost replicating the Manly blue chip over the past decade, obviously a few notches down & imo are playing to their peak now, unable to lift anymore for the finals - unlike Manly who could.
A great defence will beat great attack, but does not stop unpredictable attack.
THe squad Manly have atm cant afford to play 100% the unpredictable style & has thrived on getting into the wrestle first, but totally agree there needs to be more options than shown atm starting with quicker plays in the ruck, maybe with players coming back this will unfold more the 2nd half of the season.

I am surprised you dont see big up and under kick offs aimed at the 20m line. With the kicking tees these days it is pretty easy to get under hte ball in order to gain a lot of height and the 20m line allows your troops to get through but only give away 10m to the opposition if it fails. The yawnion kickoffs work on some of these principles and give you a feel for what range it can be contested at.

The lack of attack from a scrum really annoys me. I think this is primarily caused by the NRL allowing 'scrummagers' to break before the ball is out. However, it doesn't explain why no team uses the kick from the scrum to their speedy wingers when there is no opposition player back. This is the easiest way to score, virtually unopposed.
I guess Joey Johns hasn't thought about it yet.

You are right this is a good time to experiment, that is why I suggested to my wife that we try a Menage a Trois
She isn't too keen on the idea though

She probably doesn't like your suggestions of two guys and a girl, maybe try it with two girls. Let her know god is ok with that kind of thing.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8