This is the first season ..

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ricardo

Bencher
This is the first season in forever I've really felt the skills have jumped up a notch. It is definitely a function of the 6 again mechanic and stuff all wrestle, which is great.

But damn, slow teams are getting blown away. A real gulf in skills between the top 5ish teams and the rest.

Outside backs are deciding games in a big way

This is the first season in forever I've really felt the skills have jumped up a notch. It is definitely a function of the 6 again mechanic and stuff all wrestle, which is great.

But damn, slow teams are getting blown away. A real gulf in skills between the top 5ish teams and the rest.

I like the new rules as it has made the game faster and and exposes unfit and slow players
In the new game, more mobile , more skillful and more faster players excel and excite the fans
The new rules are here to stay

I reckon we were a good shot at winning the premiership with the old rules and our roster. Not too confident now
The new rules means we have to rebuild a new squad to suit the new game
Lets see what Des comes up with in 2021 . The players that he chooses will be the bed he makes and the bed he lies in.

I think you have a stellar point, I mean the best team attack wise once some momentum is built are the Rabbits, who attack 100mph and have depth and speed to burn out wide.
Their forwards are ok, but have the exceptional duo of Cook and Murray who again, are perfect for the modern break neck pace game.
I doubt they'll win, due to this exact thread....as the finals go on, the more physical defensive sides will be allowed more time to SLOW down the ruck speed and take away this advantage.
All the remaining teams have the qualities you speak of and I would argue, are all the quickest and up tempo teams in 2020 who are still alive.

I think you have a stellar point, I mean the best team attack wise once some momentum is built are the Rabbits, who attack 100mph and have depth and speed to burn out wide.
Their forwards are ok, but have the exceptional duo of Cook and Murray who again, are perfect for the modern break neck pace game.
I doubt they'll win, due to this exact thread....as the finals go on, the more physical defensive sides will be allowed more time to SLOW down the ruck speed and take away this advantage.
All the remaining teams have the qualities you speak of and I would argue, are all the quickest and up tempo teams in 2020 who are still alive.
Big lumbering forwards are out of date now , yes you still need metres but a forward who makes 12 metres then slowly gets up to play the ball is old school , lighter , faster , mobile forwards who might only make 8 metres BUT play the ball in seconds are the new guns and ones that play like outside backs are gold!!

Yep, you need pace through the middle, pace out wide and pace on the edges. Where's Bozo's speed kills ?!?

Big lumbering forwards are out of date now , yes you still need metres but a forward who makes 12 metres then slowly gets up to play the ball is old school , lighter , faster , mobile forwards who might only make 8 metres BUT play the ball in seconds are the new guns and ones that play like outside backs are gold!!
Hudson young is the prototype going forward. Played 80 mins at prop last night. Outstanding performance

Yes, and the speed is not necessarily that of the individual player, but the tempo and energy of the attack hitting the play the ball and advantage line ... and conversely the speed and energy the middle forwards can reset their defensive line ...

And yet the usual suspects had a go at me when I pointed this out about AFB ... he will still be a good forward .... but the likes of Papalii who play with speed, power, energy and a fast play the ball are now the guns.

Rolling Thunder has been replaced with Blitzkrieg .... Kapow is well suited to the new game, but needs a serious revision of his priorities ... it's no longer about metres, but energy and controlled offloads .... hopefully he can reinvent his style ...

Yep, you need pace through the middle, pace out wide and pace on the edges. Where's Bozo's speed kills ?!?

SPOT ON feathered friend. The game has changed and the speedsters are the Game breakers
If teams lack Pace across the Park then they are not in the race
Because
SPEED KILLS AND THE FASTER YOU GO THE BIGGER THE MESS
images (1).jpg

The new rules means we have to rebuild a new squad to suit the new game
Lets see what Des comes up with in 2021 . The players that he chooses will be the bed he makes and the bed he lies in.
But Dessie never sleeps apparantly so why make it?

It's funny because I thought it was only a few years ago where the nrl and the media (and punters) were lamenting the fact that today it is 13 athletes on the field and not 13 footballers.

so they bring in this 6 again rule and...

nope

need 13-17 athletes again.

Interesting point today on ABC Grandstand Radio.

We love the “ post contact metres” stat and supposedly will miss heaps now that AFB is gone .

In the new game ( according to Matthew Elliott) PCM is seen as a “ defensive win” and in fact sides are doing all they can to hold up the player , keeping him slowly moving so that the defensive line can be reset.

It’s the , tackle , quick play the ball , and keep rolling on forwards that are the new gold medal additions to sides.

He said every one of the bottom 8 will be practising this new tactic constantly in the off season.

As I said above the days of big lumbering forwards is dead and buried !!

Last edited:
Not a big fan of the new rules because its like touch footy. No tactics and woeful defensive games in this new era so far. To me once you get rolling with the 6 again it's very hard to claw back into the game.. :(

I can't stand the new rules... they are basically handing the games to the refs to decide at this point... teams can't tackle, that's a by-product of the under 20s, that's a fact.. so anytime a team gets within 10m of a tryline they usually score..
As soon as the ref decides to get behind a team with 6 again calls they almost always get the roll on and win..
Prime example is manly vs knights...within 15 minutes manly are up 12 0 and looking great. Ref decides its time to square up, the next 3 6again calls go the knights way for the nxt 3 tries... its happened to all teams all year, whoever gets that run on always ends in points.. its totally pathetic a ref has that much influence over the results now

Souths are probably the most skillful side I’ve seen since the broncos of the early 90s and the tigers of 2005.

They make the ball sing and the passes tend to stick. Would love to see Allen in maroon and white on the wing and as a back up fullback

I think it is pretty clear Jake will reverT to prop under these new rules. I reckon him and a Marty/Paseka 1 prop rotation will be the new norm. More and more centres will be converted thommo style to back rowers. I think huge back rowers like sirro needs to become part of the prop rotation. Replaced in the "pack" by the likes of suli and Parker. The reality is with scrums gone and the new rules you want 13-14 fast as possible backs in your 17.

We need to focus our remaining cap on speed. Hold open 100m time trials on Manly Beach and throw the 2 fastest a jersey. Because an average of 56 points per game in finals shows you don't need to tackle moving forward.

We need to throw what cap we have left at speed because our current side is slow af.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8