Thoughts on last night

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
As a pre-cursor, sorry about not posting last night - I got way too excited, and ended up going to The Harbord Hilton. The neighbour's complained about my screaming & yelling too  ;D

William Hopoate - Safe-As-A-Bank. Ok, he didn't show that much pace, but I remember Inglis' first year, and these very same commentators were saying the same thing about HIS pace too. I reckon Des told him, keep it simple, don't inject yourself too much. I've seen Hoppa in the NYC open up, and man, he is fast - so lets not discuss his lack of pace. He has wonderful hands....and I had a strange feeling when the ball went up for the first time this year - and it was confidence !! Well done, and a wonderful game. With a bit of experience, I reckon he will bloom. It will almost be a shame when Bullet / Farrar DO come back, and usurp him, and I know it's only one game guys.

Josh Perry - We looked fantastic when he came off. More speed. More passion. Kitey wound back the clock, and dead set played like his old State of Origin days. My first thoughts were, sucked in Des, Perry's injury has now forced your hand to start Kite. At least Perry will be able to travel back up north now, and be with his his bro's. Ok, that aside, I'd like to thank the guy for his wonderful efforts in 2008, and really DO appreciate what he has done for us.

Shane Rodney - we say this week, after week, after week - even in losing weeks. The guy is just a gun. He bends the defensing line back in attack, he smashes them in defence - he is just plain strong, and strong in everything he does. I hope he gets clubman of the year for us. I hope he plays City / Country next year, and at a stretch - State of Origin.

Keiran Foran - Needs to be our last tackle option 95% of the time. He seems to have more time on his hands than Hodkinson. He seems to play pro-actively, and he's willing to change things up and try things, making us less predictable, and one of my criticisms of Des, is his predictability.

Glenn Stewart - There was a section of that game last night, when Glenn just looked angry, and he played scarily. Honestly, if he could emulate that week after week, he'd be one of the fiercest backrowers in the comp, even at his height. This was his best game in a very long time in my opinion.

Jamie Lyon - **** me dead, this bloke is all class. There's really not much else to say. You see it. I see it. He is honestly (after Menzies and BK in my opinion) the best player we have seen at this club for a very long time. Honestly, just an "all rounder".

Des Hasler - I think I was in dis-belief when he threw Hoppa back to fullback. Were you guys? Des thought outside the square. Leaving Robbo on the wing is great, because Robbo is just so damned good out there (even WITH the loss of pace). Next week will be fine in my opinion, because Matt Cross can come in for Perry, with Kite starting, and that's an automatic improvement in our team in that we are already more mobile.

Crowd - Ok, a lot has been said about the crowd. We could have equaled our worst losing record at Brookvale since 2004. The weather this year has been extra-ordinarily cold (setting records). Most people (honestly including me) didn't give our lads a chance last night. And a big thing for me, is the attitude of the club, but this is a positive thread, so won't say more on that at present.

Game Speed - Tonight showed what we can achieve when we have faster game speed. When we play energetic, and up-tempo. Like Brandy said, we looked like we took a leaf out of Newcastle's effort from last week, and honestly, I think it took The Storm off guard. Well played boys - and it SHOWS our forward pack can be mobile when they want to - so it's an attitude thing !!

Tony Williams - Hmmmm, tough one. He did some amazing things. He did some horrible thing. At some points, he looked energetic and passionate, and I started thinking, lets leave this beast ON the wing for good, and other times, he looked lazy, and dis-interested, and I was craving for Wolfman to return. I still believe he'd be great off the bench as a wide running backrower, that adds utility value in the backline if / when required when Wolfie / Brett DO return.

Injuries - I'm ok (and apologise for this) with Perry's injuy, but I really hope Choc (who finished the game), and Ballin are ok for next week. Man Ballin looked groggy though, and concussion can sometimes put players out for long periods in other sports (Ice Hockey for example). We need Matty more than people imagine. If he's NOT ok, I'd probably go with Buhrer as Hooker next week, not Seu Seu too be honest. Even give that young kid in NYC a go in Higgins. He's their captain, and looks likely, and really, improves their team as a whole when on. Bennett is a bit of a plodder, and is well over-weight.

Graham Lowe - Ok, this has been done to death - but Foran and Matai are integral parts of our team. For the love of anything that's great, lets put pen to damned paper with these kids. Lets go out and attain another mobile forward if possible. Imagine our pack with say a Fui Fui Moi Moi. I guess that's why we were linked to O'Donnell...but this up-tempo footy suits us....

Cheers guys...and again - I was way too pissed to post last night - hehehehehe....

Mate, as I stated in another topic, thank you for all your pessimism and negativity yesterday morning, I knew we were certainties after reading all of that ;)

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Mate, as I stated in another topic, thank you for all your pessimism and negativity yesterday morning, I knew we were certainties after reading all of that ;)

No probs mate - happy to help out :)

Agreed with the Perry summation. Look I feel sorry for him getting injured and ending his career with us that way and good luck to him for the future. Cheers Josh and thanks for the efforts but I think with him out we increase our forward speed and endurance and can you imagine how fired up Cross will be having not played for so long and itching to get into it. Galuvao showed his best form for us last night and his impact is starting to bloom.
I just can't figure out what happened last week at Newcastle and hopefully it was the last poor effort of the season for us.
Saints don't worry me because they are so 1 dimensional. I just hope Choc and Ballin play but they must both be doubtful.

similar thoughts ryan

backrow great after a long drought.rodney goes good most weeks but glen was the key performance for us.he was fired up for the first time this year.choc good.

porky a lot better.so much promise.kite best prop on field.

lyon unbelieveable,matai his usual self.tough and hard.

hoppa looked comfortable.farrar is the man for finals but nice to know the kid has a good temprement

hk and foran good except forans long kicks.but both make up for this a lot with great chase

the hard part about this  is to measure the storm.another reason to hate them.they missed so many tackles and slater was hardly seen.difficult to get a read but we showed passion.i havnt seen a manly side so hit and miss for years.

saints next week is basically a gf.lose and we miss top 4.no-one will win from 7 or 8.

I agree with virtually you said Ryan.
To me Hoppa looked to be carrying a leg injury and couldn't stretch out, so his efforts were even more meritorious.
T-Rex just needs to get more involved. He would be the crowd favourite if he just helped out the forwards occasionally.
Great to see George bending the line again.
I don't think there is anything wrong with being pessimistic; it makes the win much sweeter. There is nothing worse than being certain of victory, and losing.
So, I can't see them winning against St George.... 

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8