• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Not sure how long this will remain in the rugby league forum although Thurston is certainly a pre-eminent rugby league player. I see he is quoted today calling for a 'national chat' about Australia Day.

Early in his career this man was somewhat tarnished with rumour and innuendo about off-field behaviour, and regrettably my own view of him was probably affected to some extent as a result. Yet there's no sign of anything today other than a serious person who is prepared to accept a leadeship role, and not just on the footy field.

Makes me wonder who in our rugby league history has gone on after footy to make a big contribution for the betterment of their community or the country? Not too much competition I can think of straight up. Mike Cleary was a politician, Kevin Ryan was distinguished in the law. I'm sure there's a few more. Maybe! Who else is there?

Will Thurston go on to become the rugby league player who makes the greatest impact off the field? If he's not there already he might be well on the way.

A career in the Rugby League media is all i see him doing post footy.

Great player and says all the right things in interviews etc but he is one of the NRL/channel 9/fox sports darlings that can do no wrong.
Everyone likes to forget he abuses referees in a way that would see other players sin binned and calls people cheats and sooks like a 7 yr old when losing a game under controversial circumstances.

A career in the Rugby League media is all i see him doing post footy.

Great player and says all the right things in interviews etc but he is one of the NRL/channel 9/fox sports darlings that can do no wrong.
Everyone likes to forget he abuses referees in a way that would see other players sin binned and calls people cheats and sooks like a 7 yr old when losing a game under controversial circumstances.
But he gives his headgear away ( anyone want to guess at his sponsorship value from the manufacturer?)

Paul osborne gave politics a go. Didnt he get done for shoplifting from coles whilst running. Pretty sure it wasnt his go though.

Im all for thurston to become a candidate. His chequered past is what we need more of in aussie politics as long as they come good. No way a north shore private school , self funded clean skin can run a country with so many social and ecenomic issues. Look at the scoreboard i say,

I reckon he would romp it in up north, but i hope he doesnt play the indigenous card and just strives for equality regardless of your origin. He doesnt play the citizen card when it comes to origin , anyone is a queenslander if they can play

Don't know how the people calling for a change to Australia Day would handle being from a European nation or somewhere else that's changed hands about 200 times in the last 2,000 years.
Please expand on this, I'm not quite sure where you are going with it.

Please expand on this, I'm not quite sure where you are going with it.
To say you were somewhere first, at least in terms of Europe, means **** all. Countries have been invaded or won or lost in battle or through treaties so often that claiming you were the first people to live in a particular parcel of land doesn't mean all that much. Nations change and evolve over time and can look very different to what was there a couple of hundred years ago. That's how the world works...

I definitley rate the guy. Yes he had an auspicious start, playing for the dogs will do that to you. But he has become a great ambassador for the game and does a lot of work in the charity sphere, mostly for inidigenous causes but also in general. Obviously as the QLD nominee he could very well be named Australian of the year next week. Personal I’d prefer to see these awards go to less recognised but just as deserving people. Good on JT though.

To say you were somewhere first, at least in terms of Europe, means **** all. Countries have been invaded or won or lost in battle or through treaties so often that claiming you were the first people to live in a particular parcel of land doesn't mean all that much. Nations change and evolve over time and can look very different to what was there a couple of hundred years ago. That's how the world works...

I'm a lefty. I support changing the date but I also agree with everything you said.
Change the date if it makes them happy, it's not a big deal, it's been changed before. I understand the Aboriginal sensitivity and they're right to feel that way, but to say that this first wave of globalisation had a duty to leave this land untouched when it was already the last place affected is insane. As you say, Europe was at it for millennia. Define "English" for me. It's a mongrel breed of conquerors, the conquered and free or forced immigrants.

It's great. I can go into a right wing discussion and be told I'm un-Australian and into a left wing discussion and be told I'm racist.

Being right all the time doesn't come with the hero worship I imagined it would.

I'm a lefty. I support changing the date but I also agree with everything you said.
Change the date if it makes them happy, it's not a big deal, it's been changed before. I understand the Aboriginal sensitivity and they're right to feel that way, but to say that this first wave of globalisation had a duty to leave this land untouched when it was already the last place affected is insane. As you say, Europe was at it for millennia. Define "English" for me. It's a mongrel breed of conquerors, the conquered and free or forced immigrants.

It's great. I can go into a right wing discussion and be told I'm un-Australian and into a left wing discussion and be told I'm racist.

Being right all the time doesn't come with the hero worship I imagined it would.
You had me at "...I also agree with everything you said."

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8