Post-Game Discussion Tigers v Manly [Round 8, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Tigers
Vs
Sea Eagles
16 Campbelltown Sports Stadium
23 Apr 2023 16:05
80:00 minute

Match Stats

And send those westie fok back to centrelink where they belong.

Congratulations on braving the conditions and feral tigers fans.

Glad the boys got the win for you and your young bloke.
Can you elaborate on what you meant by "And send those westie fok back to centrelink where they belong"?

Are you referring to the Manly supporters who live in the South West of Sydney, or just West Tigers supporters?
There are many hard working people that live in the Campbelltown to Liverpool area. Some get up at 4am for work to support their families. Some have to do 12hr shifts to get by.

I was one of them, and I have never needed the services of Centrelink as a means to survive, ever.

Put more thought into comments before posting them.👍

Last edited:
Lot of practise defending today, all in all held up fairly week, but hard to judge because there wasn’t a lot coming at them. Parker cocked up for the first one, and a couple of one on one misses over 80mins while under the pump showed something at least

Tbh it was one of the most boring games I’ve ever watched. Unbelievable how many times we seem to get rain on an afternoon game when we are a chance to put something on

Biggest concern for me, is that when all on song, our back 3 is the fastest in the NRL, but none of them seem to be able to wind up in space at the moment, feel like Garrick has been limping since the middle of last year

Also, what an embarrassment that clown in the back t shirt was holding the Fainu banner when To’a scored

All i can say is i spent $150 today for my young bloke and I to sit in the rain, so thank fark we at least got two points.

It certainly didnt look like we were going to fir a long while there
Hopefully, that will be one of the footy stories you'll be sharing together down the road.

That Lazy dumb mindset of this team on display again. Sure take the 2 points and move on. BUT

For all this talk. This team just never learns. Is the difference between our best and worst games decreasing? I don't see it.

Do we still have a 34 year old half back that can't manage a game, especially when his team just needs organisation and we'll set up kick on the last. Repeat sets and creating pressure.

It's a 34 year old halfback that has not once played wet weather footy in the wet. No coach has had the balls to drop him. And so he seriously he's never seriously learned.

Take the 2 and move on. But remember, if you do nothing else. That rubbish dished up today, will just continue.
I actually thought DCE showed a bit of determination and leadership today...it's rare. He did also put in that great kick for the match winning try. If you see the statistics, our forwards were monstered today and gave DCE very little to work with. I agree that he has been an issue in the past, but I can't hang blame on him for today's insipid performance.

Most weeks I am seeing some real concern with our yardage sets...we just could not get a roll on at the play-the-ball today...there is not enough leg speed in the middle and the service is pedestrian.

I actually thought DCE showed a bit of determination and leadership today...it's rare. He did also put in that great kick for the match winning try. If you see the statistics, our forwards were monstered today and gave DCE very little to work with. I agree that he has been an issue in the past, but I can't hang blame on him for today's insipid performance.

Most weeks I am seeing some real concern with our yardage sets...we just could not get a roll on at the play-the-ball today...there is not enough leg speed in the middle and the service is pedestrian.
I missed most of the game after the start. His kicking at the start that I saw was atrocious. I got back to catch the Saab try near the end and agree, that was a great kick.

I missed most of the game after the start. His kicking at the start that I saw was atrocious. I got back to catch the Saab try near the end and agree, that was a great kick.
He certainly didn't have a flawless game but when games turn, he tends to run around like a headless chook and completely shut down in terms of communication with his teammates. Today, he had a steely determination about him and lead by example in effort areas. There was one particularly strong kick and chase where he met the fullback and buried him. I thought he was difference in the final 10 minutes of the match.

Just looked at the stats. We had 42% possession, 69% completion rate, ran 500 metres less than the tigers and made 90 tackles more than the tigers (37 missed tackles too).

VERY lucky to get the two points.
Any side other than the Tigers would have rolled us today.

Having said that the Tigers were getting away with murder around the ruck and yet somehow we were the only side getting pinged for it.

We won with these stats.

It wasn't pretty, but to win in that face of those stats is something. (FYI weird bug on the time in possession on the NRL site). We were outplayed, and found a way to win. Something to take away from the game...

1682247573950.png

Compare that to the Panthers loss - whilst not as lopsided, we had more possession and a higher completion rate against the Panthers (yes...I acknoweldge that was the 2nd-half where the Panthers had put the cue in the rack)

1682247698805.png

Stats suggest we should have lost. Good thing stats are not what determine the game every time.

Aloiai, Wakeham separated after post-match altercation

By Michael Chammas

April 23, 2023 — 8.14pm

Manly forward Josh Aloiai and Wests Tigers five-eighth Brandon Wakeham had to be separated in the tunnel following a heated argument an hour after full-time of Sunday’s clash at Campbelltown Sports Stadium.
The players were in the tunnel at Campbelltown following Manly’s come-from-behind win over the Tigers when Aloiai approached Wakeham after the playmaker had finished conducting a post-match interview with a reporter.

The conversation began amicably before Aloiai, who had taken exception to Wakeham’s actions on the field, asked the Tigers No.6 to “come around the corner” if he wanted to “talk ****”.

The pair got in each other’s faces as they exchanged words, with Aloiai having to be dragged back into the Manly Sea Eagles dressing room.

Wakeham then popped his head into the Manly sheds to continue the argument Aloiai before he was told to head back into the Tigers sheds.
Sources with knowledge of the situation, talking under the condition of anonymity to protect their identity, told the Herald the argument was believed to be in relation to Wakeham taunting debutant Samuela Fainu when Starford To’a went past Josh Schuster and Fainu to give the Tigers the lead late in the match.
Manly forward Josh Aloiai on Sunday.

Manly forward Josh Aloiai on Sunday.CREDIT: GETTY
The incident, which occurred in the 63rd minute, sparked a melee that resulted in the rookie’s jersey being removed.
It erupted soon after when Jason Saab crossed for the match-winning try, with Fainu returning serve against Wakeham as Manly celebrated the 22-16 win in front of 10,033 fans at a wet and cold Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

I will admit the commentary was terrible
Just looked at the stats. We had 42% possession, 69% completion rate, ran 500 metres less than the tigers and made 90 tackles more than the tigers (37 missed tackles too).

VERY lucky to get the two points.
Thats a fair summation. Now imagine if we’d beat anyone other than the Tigers, we’d all be thrilled. Last year we’d have lost that game. The 2 points is all that matters.

Aloiai, Wakeham separated after post-match altercation
Michael Chammas

By Michael Chammas

April 23, 2023 — 8.14pm

Manly forward Josh Aloiai and Wests Tigers five-eighth Brandon Wakeham had to be separated in the tunnel following a heated argument an hour after full-time of Sunday’s clash at Campbelltown Sports Stadium.
The players were in the tunnel at Campbelltown following Manly’s come-from-behind win over the Tigers when Aloiai approached Wakeham after the playmaker had finished conducting a post-match interview with a reporter.

The conversation began amicably before Aloiai, who had taken exception to Wakeham’s actions on the field, asked the Tigers No.6 to “come around the corner” if he wanted to “talk ****”.

The pair got in each other’s faces as they exchanged words, with Aloiai having to be dragged back into the Manly Sea Eagles dressing room.

Wakeham then popped his head into the Manly sheds to continue the argument Aloiai before he was told to head back into the Tigers sheds.
Sources with knowledge of the situation, talking under the condition of anonymity to protect their identity, told the Herald the argument was believed to be in relation to Wakeham taunting debutant Samuela Fainu when Starford To’a went past Josh Schuster and Fainu to give the Tigers the lead late in the match.
Manly forward Josh Aloiai on Sunday.

Manly forward Josh Aloiai on Sunday.CREDIT: GETTY
The incident, which occurred in the 63rd minute, sparked a melee that resulted in the rookie’s jersey being removed.
It erupted soon after when Jason Saab crossed for the match-winning try, with Fainu returning serve against Wakeham as Manly celebrated the 22-16 win in front of 10,033 fans at a wet and cold Campbelltown Sports Stadium.
Sounds like the old days. My b-i-law who came through Manly juniors in the sixties tells similar stories of on field grievances being settled behind the dressing room sheds :rolleyes:

Have to disagree somewhat. We are not playing our best footy and will definitely have to improve BUT in recent years we lose to Melbourne and a game like today.

We are slowly getting better at defending for longer periods of time when we are under pressure and finding a way to get through and play tough for the full 80mins. We had zero ball in that second half or field position and were playing a desperate tigers outfit in slippery conditions and even though we played poor in parts, we managed to regain the lead when they had all the momentum and get the two points

Simon I hope your right and your seeing something in the boys I just don't.

I know Seibs says we stayed in the fight, put ourselves in a position to win and all. But he's got to polish a turd some how for the media.

I honestly believe Manly didnt win that game today, rather the Tigers lost it. It was more our good luck, than our good management.

That we don't do wet weather footy well even with a 34 year old Qld Captain just beggers belief.

Turn the sprinklers on at training, pretty much everything we need to improve in this team is learnt right there.

Simon I hope your right and your seeing something in the boys I just don't.

I know Seibs says we stayed in the fight, put ourselves in a position to win and all. But he's got to polish a turd some how for the media.

I honestly believe Manly didnt win that game today, rather the Tigers lost it. It was more our good luck, than our good management.

That we don't do wet weather footy well even with a 34 year old Qld Captain just beggers belief.

Turn the sprinklers on at training, pretty much everything we need to improve in this team is learnt right there.
I agree with you @double hoops
The Tigers errors kept us in the game
The tigers just kept on making errors until the last seconds of play and took the pressure of us
and gave us the opportunity to get back into the game
Good teams do not let you back in the game they just nail you .
Today we played a wooden spoon team that has been winless since the middle of last year and a spineless team consisting of a NSW cup half and a green rookie fback playing his first game in the NRL
Todays win was no Benchmark win by any standards

Last edited:
Very frustrating tactics.
  • Attempting 40-20s on 3rd tackles in wet conditions where the ball obviously won’t roll on like it does in dry conditions, rather than overpowering their pack with our middle heavy team
  • Turbo taking hit up on 5th and being out of play for attacking kick on the last
  • Not regularly setting up plays to give Paseka the ball so he has a good wind-up. Brandy even commented that he’s relatively ineffective from a standing start.
  • No backs on the bench
  • etc etc

• Attempting 40-20s on 3rd tackles in wet conditions where the ball obviously won’t roll on like it does in dry conditions, rather than overpowering their pack with our middle heavy team
  • Turbo taking hit up on 5th and being out of play for attacking kick on the last
  • Not regularly setting up plays to give Paseka the ball so he has a good wind-up. Brandy even commented that he’s relatively ineffective from a standing start.
  • No backs on the bench
  • etc etc
No backs on the bench was a weird innovation move by Seibold
The bench is used for impact players
Woods has zero impact by any benchmark standards
Weird Selections by a rookie Manly coach

A Benchmark is a standard or point of reference against which things may be compared.
Todays lucky escape win was no Benchmark Manly win

2ce7c7df073881c51b9f873f949c6e52

• No backs on the bench
  • etc etc
To be fair in wet conditions I can see why DCE was kicking on the 3rd, even though the execution may not of been perfect.
Turning there forwards around can swing the momentum while pinning them in their own end may force an error.
I also hate the Turbo hit up on the 5th. His running has been ineffective on this play and is in no shape or form generating a quick ply the ball for DCE.
Also can we learn how to set up for a field goal?

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8