Time for robbo to go............?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Kite is a player who can lift in big games & would be my 1st prop if it was a final next week. King is not massive in quality but does have a raw tough edge that is needed. The ideal situation would be to bring Kevin Ward back but we need a timemachine. As for Robbo - hard to knock a bloke who has bled Maroon & White in recent years but my preference is Hoppa & Olfield on the wings - the reasons are clear on the field so no need to bag Robbo who has been a miracle finisher when we had few that could.

Robbo is a club legend who scores plenty of tries on the sideline. Yes he is past his best but he is rock solid. I cant see him being in Manly colors after this year but his service to this club has been in recent times second only to the Beaver himself.

He is never injured and I cant remember the last time he missed a game due to injury which means he has been a valuable asset for the club in times when we did not have the young back talent we possess today not to mention a winger playing out of position at Fullback for sometime.

It looks like young Hoppa has his measure for utility value and Robbo has certainly lost much of his pace.

We all know Des and Robbo will be on the wing for the whole season just like old Willo was given his time when many including me questioned  his selection however he too was a great club man.

Give Robbo the respect he deserves as not only did the guy score three tries in the 2008 GF he also scores most tries he is afforded by his excellent finishing.

There are others in the club that are paid more dollars and have not been there to deliver due to injury. If anything the pressure is on the likes of Wolfman and Stewie to deliver this year to repay the club for lost time.

Robbo deserves to cash in overseas and we have some ready replacements for next year or this year due to injury.

Mac Man link said:
Robbo is a club legend who scores plenty of tries on the sideline. Yes he is past his best but he is rock solid. I cant see him being in Manly colors after this year but his service to this club has been in recent times second only to the Beaver himself.

He is never injured and I cant remember the last time he missed a game due to injury which means he has been a valuable asset for the club in times when we did not have the young back talent we possess today not to mention a winger playing out of position at Fullback for sometime.

It looks like young Hoppa has his measure for utility value and Robbo has certainly lost much of his pace.

We all know Des and Robbo will be on the wing for the whole season just like old Willo was given his time when many including me questioned  his selection however he too was a great club man.

Give Robbo the respect he deserves as not only did the guy score three tries in the 2008 GF he also scores most tries he is afforded by his excellent finishing.

There are others in the club that are paid more dollars and have not been there to deliver due to injury. If anything the pressure is on the likes of Wolfman and Stewie to deliver this year to repay the club for lost time.

Robbo deserves to cash in overseas and we have some ready replacements for next year or this year due to injury.

Both injured,you cant expect them to both pop up and be awesome off the bat after 12 and more or less 24 months off,get off the sauce

You cant say which wingers should be resigned without knowing how much they are asking for. If Robbo is asking for $180k and Wolfman is asking for $280k who would you sign then. It all comes down the cap.

Wolfie would have to lose coin happily after an absent 2010
Same with Brett Stewart

Like Mini done for the roosters (reportedly,with his wage i believe it)

I've got the utmost respect for Robbo but the other guys have gone past him and the backline will be more potent without him.

The one saving grace he's got is Des, who as others have rightly said...... will not drop him.

For the sake of the team I hope the rest of the backline get their act together and create plenty of opportunities for him. He's still a fine finisher but sadly for him, it's also the last trick he's got left in his kit bag.

Do any of you really think Des would put loyalty ahead of winning?  Seriously that is just crazy talk.  Des like all coaches is there to win and will always do what he needs to do to win as it is his primary motivation.

I have to believe that if Des sticks with someone who to us lounge chair experts seems past his best then obviously Des sees the player has something more to offer than just dazzling ability etc.

Tell me Lockyer has been his best the last few years and I will laugh at you.  But he still starts every game and still gets selected for QLD and Australia.  Why does he get selected?  Because despite his drop in form his mere presence on the field lifts the confidence of those around him.  I would have dropped Lockyer a long time ago but his team mates all tell you why he is still there and they want him to play on forever, much like Beaver the last couple of seasons.

Robbo and Kitey bring that same presence each week when they take the field.  They are experienced, reliable, and provide that bit of stability that inspires confidence in those around them.  It is that confidence that then enables these young blokes to cut loose and produce the top efforts that now have so many of you wanting to see this oreliable old guard replaced ahead of thier time.

Look at the Raiders a couple of seasons ago, full of youngsters full of flashy brilliance but they got run over every week amid glimpses of that brilliance.  But now they have matured a bit look at how they finished last season and how they will probably go when the drop Ox and get a halves combination that works.

Seriously we need a few old stagersin the team, it brings stability and confidence to the team and that is something all teams need in order to fire at the top more consistently.

Sundance link said:
Do any of you really think Des would put loyalty ahead of winning? 

Sums it up perfectly. In the past players like Willow & Cuthbo lost their spots due to circumstances, but loyalty wasn't enough to get back in the team when Hall started playing out of his skin. I must admit I didn't notice Robbo do much wrong the other night.

Some of you blokes are being a bit harsh.

That was probably Robbos worst game ever for us but he's still got a few credits left and Kitey seems to be the new whipping boy.  You cannot compare stats for starting props compared to stats off the bench because those blokes are running against tired opposition.  Kitey didn't have his best game on the weekend but he was excellent in the wins over the Chooks and Knights.  Robinson looks OK but his stats are inflated because of one run, he's got a fair way to go before he makes the bench in our best available 17 let alone knocking off a starter.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1301880844[/time]

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
[quote author=Sundance link=topic=187283.msg330235#msg330235 date=1301859525]
Do any of you really think Des would put loyalty ahead of winning? 

Sums it up perfectly. In the past players like Willow & Cuthbo lost their spots due to circumstances, but loyalty wasn't enough to get back in the team when Hall started playing out of his skin. I must admit I didn't notice Robbo do much wrong the other night.
[/quote]

Lloyalty ahead of winning? No, but will he risk short term for long term than yes.  Look at 08 for example.  He persisted with Lyon at 6 for the full year despite some indifferent form and maybe costing us a win or two along the way but it paid off big time come the finals. 

I think Robbo still deserves his spot.

Good solid winger, dependable.

Knows he way to the tryline if he is given a sniff.

too old too slow think ts time for robbo to go ..........give someone younger and faster a go......  :)

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7