Todd Carney Combined Mega Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Did Todd Carney deserve to be sacked over his latest faux pas

• Yes

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 76 56.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
Canberra's Carney

It is so hard for me to undertstand your reasoning Duff. Of course if you or I were involved in a night club incident at 4:30am our employers are most unlikley to even know of it unless we volunteer that information to them.

However if the incident was reported on by the media, and it read something like the following I am sure our respective employers would be less than pleased:

"Corso Pete, who is employed as Chief Dickhead by My Employer was today involved in an Police chase after failing to stop as directed in the outer suburbs of anytown and is expected to to appear in court soon. When contacted by the Daily Terrorgraph a represenative from My Employer declined to comment. "

How much damage do you think has been sustained to the reputation of My Employer as a result of this incident?

Canberra's Carney

I think the fact it was his 2nd offence which will be his downfall but I reckon the raiders can't afford to let him go.

They battle to get quality players on their books at the best of times, I doubt they will show their future star the door after only 2 strikes

Canberra's Carney

I think it was his 3rd offence and the guy is only 20! He is disqualified for years already.

My guess is that he needs be stood down for a significant time rather than getting a slap on the wrist.

Serial pests tend to get dumped and picked up by another club just to reoffend as noone has dealt with the why of what is going on.

Chris Walker, Andrew Walker, Julian O'Neill etc all had multiple chances but never heeded good advice and the grace they were shown.

Canberra's Carney

Raiders should not sack him imo as then another club will just pick him up and get the benefits of what Canberra has put into him.

Maybe he should stood down for a while and his contract cut in half.

Canberra's Carney

I just saw on the news that the talented young Canberra half Todd Carney has been suspended by the club indefinitely. He apparently was driving without a license (having been disqualified), failed to obey police instructions and then led them on a high speed chase and then ran away.

Later he handed himself in. He was already on a warning.

Pity he doesn't play for the West Coast Eagles - he would be made captain and become a hero!!!

or maybe even the Newcastle Knights ;)

Canberra's Carney

If eveybodys just too sensitive about what is a load of rubbish that doesn't have anything to do with them then I'm not publicly going to support it.

I'd then blame the clubs for being too money driven, the sponsors for being weak or the public for taking this rubbish on board. If you were going to sell your factory next week & had decided to run with Delmege Commercial but pulled out because Matai played up, you're a goose.

Canberra's Carney

What about Strathfield Car Radios and the myriad of other minor sponsors, many of who proudly advertise their sponsorship of the Eagles. Delmege is probably not the best example and it may well be argueed that Delemege receives little in direct business from his sponsorship in any case. Nevertheless if Delmege lost just one multi million dollar property sale because of poor player behavior don't you think Delmege would not make his feelings known to the club!

It was only a few years ago that Crazy Johns hatched some scheme to sponsor Manly annd rename Brookvale "Crazy Johns Stadium or something similar and from memory some other hair brained ideas.

At that time my wife needed a new mobile phone, I was not happy with the deal proposed by Crazy Johns and needless to say the phone was purchased elsewhere.

In business (or retail purchases)it does not take a lot for persons to justify their reasoning for purchasing a particular product or supplier. If you think otherwise you are living in business Disneyland.

Canberra's Carney

Duff is living Disneyland if he thinks players should be able to carry on however they like without fear of punishment from their clubs or the NRL.

Canberra's Carney

I just don't feel it's any of my business as a supporter.
It's my business as a member of the community, I don't want to have to worry about thugs or whatever when I'm in Manly, I just don't differentiate him from anyone else.

The whole thing about money the money stream eventually comes back to the comsumer.
Club sucks up to sponsors, sponsors suck up to consumers. If we keep supporting the sponsors, they'll keep supporting the club, regardless of what happens.
It all comes down to people minding their own business & supporting their footy club.

Canberra's Carney

I see where you are coming from Duff, but not to your extreme with this type of behaviour

I share your view on the type of incidents like SBW in the toilet a few weeks back that is a nothing issue, no-ones business but yet is turned into some big story and the public get sucked into it. Mason is the best example of the medias power over opinions, slated for years over any move made, then media turned the table and started to build him up as a decent 'reformed' bloke etc the last few years before switching back and putting all the crap about him on the front pages again. Sure, he does dunb things, but the media do go out of their way to make a nothing incident into a story eg- Mason and Williams arguing in a club, WGAF

Canberra's Carney

Thank you for adding a bit of normality to the conversation Kiwi.

All this PC, no-one must be offended, over-sensitive, moral-policing, corporate wankfest crap is just a joke.
When the world goes too far you speak out against it, don't just blindly jump on the bandwagon.

Canberra's Carney

It's a tough one for the raiders.

He is their future IMO... I don't want to see them let him go. I think if he is arseholed from the club it should be all clubs or something cuz as Garts said.. some other club will just pick him up and that would be BS (aswell as ironic given tilse and costigan both play for the raiders).

I hope the bloke sorts it out.. he's too good a footballer to be thrown into the scrap heap.

Canberra's Carney

Im not offended by his actions at all. I just think it is stupid to say who cares, he should not be punished by his club.

Carney gets 200 hours' community service

CANBERRA Raiders league star Toddy Carney was today sentenced to 200 hours of community service and banned from driving until 2009.
The 21-year-old halfback pleaded guilty in ACT Magistrates Court yesterday to to negligent driving, driving while disqualified and failing to stop when directed by police.

He faced a possible six-month jail term yesterday but this morning was sentenced to 200 hours of community service, to be completed within 12 months.

He was also disqualified from driving for a further 12 months, meaning he will not be able to driving until the end of 2009.

Carney was fined $500 and ordered to pay $107 in court costs.

Three months ago Carney was convicted of drink driving and reckless driving. He was placed on a three-year good behaviour bond and disqualified from driving until December 2011, which was reduced on appeal to December 2008.

Yesterday, the court was told that just before 6pm on May 18, Carney decided to help out teammate Steve Irwin and drive him home from Ginninderra Tavern in Canberra's north, because Irwin had had too much alcohol and was unable to drive himself home.

According to the police statement read out in court, police estimated the ute was travelling at 80km/h in a 60km/h zone.

The court was told Carney did not stop after officers sounded their sirens. They put on their flashing lights and continued chasing the ute through back streets.

When Carney finally stopped in a dead-end street he fled the scene, leaving Irwin in the passenger seat, the court was told.

He handed himself in to police nearly four hours later.

Carney was immediately suspended from his club but was not sacked on the condition he undertook a five-step rehabilitation plan including working with young cancer victims.

Magistrate Maria Doogan yesterday warned Carney that he would end up behind bars with one more traffic offence. "You have to take responsibility for yourself,'' she said.

Following the hearing, Raiders general manager Don Furner said Carney could be playing again "within a month'' but the final decision rested with coach Neil Henry.

LoL. Imagine him, and Naquama together at a club. Knights I reckon would buy the guy as well !!!

What amazes me is how little he was fined commensurate with the time he has to serve. $600 is child's play for a professional footy player.

Mind you he will need to save a lot of pennies for taxi fares as 2021 is a long time away!!!

Hi all. Report on ABC Radio here in Canberra that Todd Carney has been offered a 4 year deal by Manly. Has anyone heard anything up there? His manager, David Riolo in an interview on local radio here on Saturday said that half a dozen clubs were interested, but apart from the Raiders the only club who's name was mentioned by him was us.
Unless he has grown up SIGNIFICANTLY this guy is a loose cannon. Potentially a very very good footballer and an answer to 5/8 dilemma with possible cover at half to Orford. So I am torn. Maybe his sh*t is now sorted and he can play some really good footy if he joins us, but if his head is not screwed on could be a potential liability.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8