Toovey as a Coach

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So when is Toovey getting the sack? It's been crickets on social media so far today... no word of any Manly press conference.

He's getting sacked and is being replaced by an assistant coach from a team who are below Manly on the ladder.
Yep. Tooves really must be getting sacked for performance reasons.
Unfortunately 2V did not perform very well with the Gift contract negotiations which also resulted in turmoil and losing his senior playing group .
Many fans were also pissed off when Gift was shown the door with the same silent treatment that 2V is getting now

Barret.. What has he done? In all honesty he wasn't even really a good player!
That will do me....seriously...not a good player? I must have been watching someone else play then. It seems if someone isn't as good as Andrew Johns or Johnathon Thurston, or doesn't play for Manly then they aren't a good player. We must have only had a handful of good players in the ARL/NRL over the last 50 years then.

Come on, let's not allow being upset over Toovey's demise to cloud our judgement on Trent Barrett - if he is going to be our new coach then we should get behind him and give him a chance.

Foran left to play for a different coach, one with a worst record on paper. I think DCE would have left too if Toovey stayed.

I don't buy this argument that is always trotted out about why Foran left and DCE would've too.

Foz left for $1.2M a season and DCE openly stated he wanted to stay.

If Tooves was the reason they supposedly wanted out why didn't Foz get the same mail as DCE regarding next years coach?

Does anyone really think Tooves is getting the bullet because of the teams performance/results this year ??

As for Barrett, well it'll certainly be a change to have a non Manly person in the role. I'd be more comfortable if he had some more lead coaching experience under his belt, but willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He has been in some pretty good company with his representative and Penrith roles, so hopefully he has picked up some skills. Coaching is as much about man management as tactics, so there is no requirement to have been a champion player in order to fulfill that criteria.

I don't buy this argument that is always trotted out about why Foran left and DCE would've too.

Foz left for $1.2M a season and DCE openly stated he wanted to stay.

If Tooves was the reason they supposedly wanted out why didn't Foz get the same mail as DCE regarding next years coach?

Foz did, but didn't have the ticker to flip cause of his loyalty to the Dalai.

Agreed mate. I found it interesting that Jamie Soward mentioned that Penrith had to revert to their past style of attack with Barrett no longer being at the club and it has subsequently been a struggle for them.

Thats the second time I have read that.

It seems strange to me that they have forgotten all that Barrett showed them, surly they would have filmed the sessions.

Toovey is a great coach and Manly through and through.
Yes I believe he can bring players to the club that can get us back to premierships. But that role is taken by Bozo who is meant to be signing these players and play a huge role in finding them... Can Geoff coach them. Of course he can.
This year we have been plagued with injuries which haven't helped our on field performance.
Apart from that he has had to deal with week in week out reading about himself in the media and how he hasn't got the full support of the current board and owners, so despite the odds, Tooves has done remarkable.
Then came the Foran and DCE circus surrounding us and now once again today is apparently the day a media press conference is going ahead..
How would you feel in his situation? It must be tough for him to hear/read this garbage then be expected to still be at his best.
Let him get on with his job at the realm, he is getting results for us, he bleeds Maroon and White and is a man who deserves to be our coach.

Barret.. What has he done? In all honesty he wasn't even really a good player!
Cartwright.. Won the premiership for Panthers as assistant coach under Lang, then what has he done?

To replace a great man with 2 people who have nothing to show... Really??
You say "Barrett wasn't even really a good player." How good a player was Bellamy? How good was Trent Robinson? How good a player was Michael Maguire? All three are premiership winning coaches and all three were very very average players. Seriously, how good a player you are has very little to do with your coaching ability.

That will do me....seriously...not a good player? I must have been watching someone else play then. It seems if someone isn't as good as Andrew Johns or Johnathon Thurston, or doesn't play for Manly then they aren't a good player. We must have only had a handful of good players in the ARL/NRL over the last 50 years then.

Come on, let's not allow being upset over Toovey's demise to cloud our judgement on Trent Barrett - if he is going to be our new coach then we should get behind him and give him a chance.
Many great players coaches and officials have moved on from our great club and our club has always remained great
Go the mighty Sea eagles !!!

You say "Barrett wasn't even really a good player." How good a player was Bellamy? How good was Trent Robinson? How good a player was Michael Maguire? All three are premiership winning coaches and all three were very very average players. Seriously, how good a player you are has very little to do with your coaching ability.

Hey, give Maguire credit. He played for the mighty Adelaide Rams who were so strong they held up most of the SL and NRL ladders :p

Unfortunately 2V did not perform very well with the Gift contract negotiations which also resulted in turmoil and losing his senior playing group .
Many fans were also pissed off when Gift was shown the door with the same silent treatment that 2V is getting now
Toovey did what he thought was right, he was asked to give an honest assessment by the club about whom we could let go because if you remember we had to attempt to re-sign our halves.

There is no doubt that this was going to be an excruciating decision and the way it was done was so unfair. He and the club made a mistake and didnt communicate with Gifty no doubt, It upset the clique at the club and we all know what happened next.

Toovey did not do the back ended deals, that was done by the previous coach, Toovey had to clean up the mess.

From The Roar three days ago. Couple of factual errors, otherwise an excellent summary:

There is far more to Geoff Toovey than his reputation as one of the game’s toughest-ever players or his animated public persona.
Few are held in higher regard by the games’ biggest names, or have transferred to the business arena more successfully.
There are only two types of coaches, “Those who have been sacked, and those who will be sacked.”
Geoff Toovey faces this challenge as we write, with Penrith’s Trent Barrett set to replace him on a three-year deal.
He is not alone. Five coaching roles changed last season. Nine more did so across the three years prior.
In a previous article, we looked at how Peter Sterling considered and rejected the rigours of coaching, and how Craig Bellamy looked to exit on his own terms in 2016.
How will the game remember Tooves?
Geoff played the first of 286 first grade matches against Great Britain in 1988 while studying a business degree with Sydney’s University of Technology. It would be 2001 before he would retire.
He made his State of Origin debut in 1990, and the first of 13 internationals followed within 12 months. He overcame a broken jaw in 1993’s pre-season to become Manly Warringah’s club captain, and remained so longer than any player in the club’s history.
In 1994 he starred in NSW’s Origin whitewash, won the grand final in a Clive-Churchill-medal-winning performance and represented his country.
His loyalty to the club, and the ARL was absolute, and was rewarded with the Test captaincy against Papua New Guinea in 1996.
For Matthew Johns, he was “without exception, the toughest player of the modern era. Forget pound for pound the toughest; he was the toughest, full stop”.
Figures as diverse as Gorden Tallis and Bill Harrigan echo this, citing him as the most fiercely competitive player they’ve seen.
Geoff is humble about these claims. “I just did my best,” he says.
“I didn’t have the skills of a Brad Fittler or Andrew Johns. I didn’t have the speed of some of the players out there. Or the size. I had to make it up somewhere.”
But those close to him saw more than his fearless approach to the game.
Few know he raised his daughter as a single father for example.
He started as a chartered accountant with Crispen and Geoffrey immediately after his playing career ended, remaining with the firm for 10 years. “I’m keen to keep my hand in the business area, knowing there’s life after coaching,” he later noted.
In 2004, he re-joined the Eagles as assistant coach to Des Hasler.
Here, we saw him in the kind of on-field coaching role more associated with the AFL. Watch today as Allan Langer paces with a water bottle just behind the ruck, calling out numbers and plays.
Now imagine a slightly angrier version. That’s Geoff.
He assumed the head coaches role in 2012, after Des Hasler’s acrimonious departure, maintaining an enviable 57 per cent win ratio and securing three finals appearances – including a controversial 2013 grand final loss to the Roosters.
In 2014 he signed a three-year extension that Scott Penn and the Manly Board seem set to dishonour. His 2015 season was cruelled as an older generation’s back-ended contracts clashed with a younger generation’s expectations.
Club legends are at pains to separate any change from their personal regard for him.
Speaking to the Sydney Morning Herald’s Daniel Lane, Manly godfather Ken Aurthurson noted, “I think the club would have to find a role for him … because he is a legendary figure at Manly. They need to use him in some capacity because he offers a lot.
“Of course it has to be dignified. He wasn’t only an outstanding player for Manly but he’s been an outstanding coach and he has been so loyal to the club he must be treated well, looked after, no matter what happens.”
Matthew Johns echoed this in the Telegraph after Manly’s notable win against the Storm early in the season. “He deserves better. Better than the constant rumours of his sacking, better than the talk of players losing faith in his coaching and certainly better than copping verbal sprays from ex-players in media interviews. The truth is Geoff Toovey inherited a whole heap of drama at Manly”.
So what is Geoff’s legacy, and what may follow?
It’s thought he has been offered, but declined, a talent-spotting role and talks continue for other opportunities in-house. With swerving NRL and state coaches excluded, others such as Bob Fulton have reportedly made a case for him to succeed Tim Sheens as Australian coach.
Forget the easily lampooned animation in the coach’s box, or his calls for an investigation.
His small frame, fearless approach, and unbroken personal and club loyalty will see him remain a genuine legend of the modern era.

Agree, but...

Maguire and Robinson were both successful head coaches in England before getting their current roles, and

Bellamy was Bennett's long term assistant at the Broncos. He also was able to benefit from cap cheating over a long period to keep the nucleus of his team together until he claimed his maiden premiership in 2012.

Not saying Barrett won't be any good but it's hard to draw the conclusion that he will be just by comparing him to those other 3 average ex players turned successful coaches.

Playing ability is not really relevant to coaching prowess, but coaching record (something Barrett has not yet had the chance to develop) is a much better indicator.

I don't understand how Trent Barrett, a neville, is the solution.

Des Hasler was the solution.

Is Toovey alone responsible for the Gifty thing? Did he make the call?

From today's DT. Its a Slothfield piece so make of it what you will.....

TOMMY SNUB
One of the reasons Geoff Toovey will be sacked by the Manly Sea Eagles is his shabby treatment of boom winger Tom Trbojevic, who was inexplicably dropped from the NRL team a fortnight ago. The local junior scored four tries against the Warriors in Holden Cup on Saturday.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ph...weekend-of-sport/story-fndujljl-1227457758762
He could have also added for continually selecting Hasson in FG

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8