Top 5 NZ Manly players

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Mathew Ridge by a long way the best kiwi import that I have seen play at Manly but Kieran Foran is closing in fast. By gees there have been some duds as well.

1. Matai
2. Ridge
3. Foran
4. Williams
5. Innes

Matai recently passed Ridgey in my estimation of the overall value they have brought to the club. Every chance Foran can move into the number 1 spot if he sticks with us for a few more years. Williams and Innes are old faves. All of these players in my opinion gave and continue to give great service to our great club.

As for the Iro's, form blew too hot and cold, symptomatic of many of the early Kiwi imports regardless of club.

Who is running the Top5 Poms thread or has that been done before?

I thought John Devereaux went ok in 93 or whenever it was. Think he was Welsh. Does that count as a Pom?

Can't recall Steve Nash. You thinking Gary Stephens maybe?

Only other Poms I can think of is Andy Goodway & Bernard Dwyer in late 1980s, not that either did much.

Much more Kiwis at Manly than Poms over the years.

It's fun looking at some of the Manly players names here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Manly-Warringah_Sea_Eagles_players

A British themed team:

2 David Myers
3 Bob Fulton (born in London)
4 John Devereaux
6 Mark Lennon
7 Gary Stephens
8 Ian Roberts ( born in Warrington)
9 John Gray
10 Kevin Ward
11 Phil Lowe
12 Mal Reilly
13 Steve Norton

14 Andy Goodway
15 Hugh Waddell
16 Bernard Dwyer

We nearly had another superstar convert on our hands in the early 90s, he signed a contract the same time as Ridgey but got cold feet on the deal

Zinzan Brooke would have been a great in the Glenn Stewart mould

We've had some greats. Foran definitely my number 1.

It's amazing the number of Kiwis that have Manly as their 2nd team (this is such a rarity for Manly). I've run into a number of Kiwis who have always told me if the Warriors don't win they go for Manly.

Bit early for Foran to be number 1 I think. For matai to be regarded lower than Foran ' at this stage' doesn't sit well with me.

Ridge
Innes
Matai
D Williams
Foran

Mal Cochrane said:
Bit early for Foran to be number 1 I think. For matai to be regarded lower than Foran ' at this stage' doesn't sit well with me.

Ridge
Innes
Matai
D Williams
Foran

Matai should sit above Innes as well IMO. Innes only had two years at Manly. Matai is in his 9th year and has two Premierships (and counting).

bones said:
A British themed team:

2 David Myers
3 Bob Fulton (born in London)
4 John Devereaux
6 Mark Lennon
7 Gary Stephens
8 Ian Roberts ( born in Warrington)
9 John Gray
10 Kevin Ward
11 Phil Lowe
12 Mal Reilly
13 Steve Norton

14 Andy Goodway
15 Hugh Waddell
16 Bernard Dwyer

That's a terrific forward pack!

Might have to go to the grandparent rule to fill the team. Weren't the Poms after DCE before he played for the Kangaroos?

1. Matthew Ridge

I would rank him in my top 5 favourite players, Kiwi or otherwise. I know most wouldn't but he bought so much to our side. If I remember correctly, he sat out half the season one year during the Super League war and his return transformed the side.

2. Foz.

He will be a legend at the club. He's beyond vital to our chances this year.

3. Steve Matai.

Is there anyone with more guts than this guy ?

4. Craig Innes

In a word....underrated.

5. Darrell Williams.

Great player...but have to rank him below the others.

simon64 said:
1. Matthew Ridge

I would rank him in my top 5 favourite players, Kiwi or otherwise. I know most wouldn't but he bought so much to our side. If I remember correctly, he sat out half the season one year during the Super League war and his return transformed the side.

2. Foz.

He will be a legend at the club. He's beyond vital to our chances this year.

3. Steve Matai.

Is there anyone with more guts than this guy ?

4. Craig Innes

In a word....underrated.

5. Darrell Williams.

Great player...but have to rank him below the others.

Got it spot on IMO. Agree with all you've said here.

Killer03 said:
We've had some greats. Foran definitely my number 1.

It's amazing the number of Kiwis that have Manly as their 2nd team (this is such a rarity for Manly). I've run into a number of Kiwis who
have always told me if the Warriors don't win they go for Manly.

Yeah Killer, Rugby League really took off in the late 80s and early 90s in NZ. Manly were probably one of the most popular teams for NZers to support with their Kiwi connections. With Lowe as Coach and Ridge, Williams and the Iro bros, the Manly side were the closest thing to a NZ side in the comp back then. In fact this was the reason I personally became a Sea Eagles supporter.

The style of that early 90s team, probably due to Lowes coaching was a adlib style of play very similar to the Warriors today. They were a exciting team to watch, who played entertaining Footy.

Anyway, back to your point that Manly are a lot of Kiwis 2nd teams. I think a lot of NZers that grew up in that early 90s era, or their parents, were supporters of Manly because we had no NZ team in the comp as I mentioned. Manly were the closest thing, however when the Warriors arrived that changed. I think some NZ Manly fans changed to Warriors supporters. However they still had that love for Manly, hence them being their 2nd team.

I know I was personally the opposite when the Warriors arrived. I was loyal to Manly, but as a NZer, to have a team in the comp was special. So for me the Warriors became my 2nd team lol.

I saw a member here called Mt Smart, who is a Warrior supporter but his family are Manly fans. I feel a lot of this generations parents or or uncles/aunties or older siblings are Manly fans however their children and nephews/nieces are Warrior fans. Hence the reason why we are 2nd team for Kiwis. Either that or maybe its because like Manly, NZers are hated in Australia by Australians LOL.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7