Training stories and stats

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Freagle

Bencher
I was trawling through a few online documents looking for some inspiration before hitting the gym, when I came across an article from last season about strongest lifters in the NRL. Marty Taupau won overall of course, but Kelepi Tanginoa was rated as easily the most impressive during his time at the Eels. Got me thinking it might be fun to start a thread on training anecdotes for the Eagles, such as fastest, strongest, I saw so-and-so lifting something ridiculous at the gym... like the time I saw Nik Kosef running laps of Manly beach, when I was a kid. He did one lap. But hey, I still saw him.

Fairly widely known that Marty can deadlift 310kg...

Kelepi's stats are here:
A 102 kilo mountain of muscle, Kelepi Tanginoa is by far the most impressive Eel in the gym.

Having earnt the nickname ‘little Hulk’ due to his impressive numbers, the forward has the biggest lifts for the bench, squat and overhead press.

Tanginoa recorded a 220 kilo back squat for three reps and an overhead shoulder press for five reps at 95 kilos.

And his bench press? An impressive 180 kilos.

Manly halfback Kieran Foran was the biggest surprise, with the 88kg Kiwi teenager able to bench-press a whopping 170kg

I was trawling through a few online documents looking for some inspiration before hitting the gym, when I came across an article from last season about strongest lifters in the NRL. Marty Taupau won overall of course, but Kelepi Tanginoa was rated as easily the most impressive during his time at the Eels. Got me thinking it might be fun to start a thread on training anecdotes for the Eagles, such as fastest, strongest, I saw so-and-so lifting something ridiculous at the gym... like the time I saw Nik Kosef running laps of Manly beach, when I was a kid. He did one lap. But hey, I still saw him.

Fairly widely known that Marty can deadlift 310kg...

Kelepi's stats are here:
A 102 kilo mountain of muscle, Kelepi Tanginoa is by far the most impressive Eel in the gym.

Having earnt the nickname ‘little Hulk’ due to his impressive numbers, the forward has the biggest lifts for the bench, squat and overhead press.

Tanginoa recorded a 220 kilo back squat for three reps and an overhead shoulder press for five reps at 95 kilos.

And his bench press? An impressive 180 kilos.
He could make an insurmountable case to be in the 17 this year. And if he does... look out.

Did it say how many reps at 180kg on the bench press?
I remember about 8 years ago it was reported that Kieran Foran was benching 170kg at 88kg bodyweight. Matt Orford "Ox" was supposed to be able to bench 160kg. I guess those are 1 rep max numbers.

Does anyone know if the Gracie Barra guys from Brookvale still work with the team? They should be doing some form of grappling training.

Did it say how many reps at 180kg on the bench press?
I remember about 8 years ago it was reported that Kieran Foran was benching 170kg at 88kg bodyweight. Matt Orford "Ox" was supposed to be able to bench 160kg. I guess those are 1 rep max numbers.
No, it didn’t say. When training they usually have a three rep max as the standard I think, but this could easily be his personal best.

George Rose used to be our strongest at 180kg bench. I do recall that Foran was pound for pound massively strong. Watmough was about 170kg as well.

Saw Ian Roberts repping out 140kg bench press a few weeks back. Could barely believe how huge he still is.

Roberts, being an actor these days who's main roles seem to be as a henchman or bodyguard type, needs to stay in shape so I'm not surprised he can still go in the gym.

Unlike the 70s, 80s or even 90s where actors who played those roles were more the intimidating type wearing a suit and trying to hide their beer belly, those tough guy roles now have actors who look like athletes, or like Roberts (and others such as Vinnie Jones) were athletes before they got into acting, and they have to look like they actually know how to fight.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8