Two businessmen buy 22 per cent stake in Sea Eagles worth $5m

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Great to see the Narks are still seeing a conspiracy behind every new initiative and news article!

Let it go!
For sure. Positive doesn't always need to be "spin". I think it's been a great last 3 months.

Here's a little story about the positive spin. My old man was a country member, got a call from the membership department and asked him to rejoin. He said no. They asked why, to which he replied that the draw pretty much rules him out of a lot of games (lives 4 hours from Sydney). The membership guy, named andy, said understood but if he ever wanted to come to a game just give him a call and he would organise some free tickets. Can't do much more than that.

The club isn't evil to the core as some would have you believe in my opinion.

I don't know if I have been " downplaying" or " white anting" you may think so but from what I hear the lucrative sponsorship is a significant downgrade on the Kasperky dollars.

And other than the Penns selling 22% of Pennsport for $5 million I'm just not sure why everyone's doing cartwheels.

It's nice to see some fresh faces on the board but I doubt very much that they would be independent , the Penns fought for so long to dominate so I can't see them giving it away immediately.

As I said in a recent post the " charm offensive " seems to be working nicely.
So you & others are unhappy & cynical about the new part owners. Please tell me what could have happened here that would have made you happy? My guess is nothing.
The Penns have diversified the shareholding, making three shareholders now, which is what the FC wanted. You are seriously deluded if you think those guys would invest $5 million and then vote as lackies. They will work to maintain & increase the value of their investment which will make Manly a powerhouse again.

So you & others are unhappy & cynical about the new part owners. Please tell me what could have happened here that would have made you happy? My guess is nothing.
The Penns have diversified the shareholding, making three shareholders now, which is what the FC wanted. You are seriously deluded if you think those guys would invest $5 million and then vote as lackies. They will work to maintain & increase the value of their investment which will make Manly a powerhouse again.

Since when did I say I was unhappy??

Not once did I say that , all I'm saying is as they have sold 22% of Penn Sport, meaning the $5 million goes into the Penns personal account that it's not a big deal for Manly as such.

Other than making the Penns richer why all the cartwheels??

Because my view is different to yours @The Wheel and @Ralphie doesnt mean I'm a " nark".

This is nothing more than part of the ongoing charm offensive, and if you've all bought into that and are following like lemmings then good luck to you both, but I'll continue to be cynical whilst ever it's a " leak" to the Daily Telegraphh.

They haven't diversified the shareholding of MWSE at all. It's still the Penns company and the FC. What they have diversified is the shareholding of the Penn company, but I assume it is already more than 3 shareholders given it is a family company.This new setup has virtually zero effect on the way the manly board is currently run.

I think you are right in that they are unlikely to invest $5mil without working hard to see it succeed, but realistically they don't have any real voting rights as such. By definition they do what the Penn holding company says to do, as that is what they are a minority shareholder of.

Personally I don't have a problem with them buying in, and as already widely expressed hopefully they will bring some good skills and contacts to the mix. Should be a good move with any luck. Like Mark I guess my cynicism relates to the way that this is reported more than anything.

^ Exactly.

I don't mind the new people...but to advertise it as putting money into Manly...and new additional Manly owners is a bit misleading when...as reported...

..."The two new men on the board merely bought a 12.5% share each in the company set up by the Penn family (Penn Sport) to look after their share in Manly. In essence they’ve bought a room in the “House of Penn” rather than their own little piece of Manly."

So good on them, etc etc, but they bought a stake in Penn's company, so I don't think that can be stated as 'Increasing Manly's ownership' numbers as stated above, and at the risk of being branded seriously deluded by Penn's propaganda lackey ummm *******...ummm some unknown members....*wink* they will vote along Penn's lines as they bough a share in his company....not Manly. I'm not saying everything Penn wants is incorrect either....whether that will placate the 'company liners' on here I dunno.

There's still 2 owners. Penns and the FC.

Again - I'm happy to take it as a good news story, but as a true good news story. I won't preach there's new or additional owners, as there is not.

Manly fans all! 2016 woot.

Last edited:
They haven't diversified the shareholding of MWSE at all. It's still the Penns company and the FC. What they have diversified is the shareholding of the Penn company, but I assume it is already more than 3 shareholders given it is a family company.This new setup has virtually zero effect on the way the manly board is currently run.

I think you are right in that they are unlikely to invest $5mil without working hard to see it succeed, but realistically they don't have any real voting rights as such. By definition they do what the Penn holding company says to do, as that is what they are a minority shareholder of.

Personally I don't have a problem with them buying in, and as already widely expressed hopefully they will bring some good skills and contacts to the mix. Should be a good move with any luck. Like Mark I guess my cynicism relates to the way that this is reported more than anything.

Exactly mate , not the action but the way this was added to the charm offensive.

Fluff piece-Mark is correct.
There is more media spin coming out of that joint than you can poke a stick at. It is making us look good, but how much of it is significant.
I applaud the turn around in the club, but until PennInc reach out to the fan base a bit more, we are going to be spoon fed bull**** until the cows come home

Yeah no **** there's a charm offensive going on, with good reason... look at this place haha. Everyone can see the underhanded tactics they have used to subvert and the careers they've destroyed along the way, they're no saints. End of the day though the Penn's own Manly and you can't really fight it unless you're putting up your cash. Remember the golden rule, the man with the gold rules.

It's just a ride, enjoy it :)

Business men running a business as a business.
Unfortunately we though we are not a business. We are Manly. This whole thing is a clash of cultures.

Still better than having no club to follow. Do you think the NRL would have saved us??

Due to the TV deal, yep!!

They saved the god damn Titans for ****s sake!!

Obviously much better to have rich owners, and despite my distaste for what's happened in recent times I'm pleased we do have that, rich owners.

However doesn't mean I have to like them or the spoon fed bull**** they espouse!!

Since when did I say I was unhappy??

Not once did I say that , all I'm saying is as they have sold 22% of Penn Sport, meaning the $5 million goes into the Penns personal account that it's not a big deal for Manly as such.

Other than making the Penns richer why all the cartwheels??

Because my view is different to yours doesnt mean I'm a " nark".

This is nothing more than part of the ongoing charm offensive, and if you've all bought into that and are following like lemmings then good luck to you both, but I'll continue to be cynical whilst ever it's a " leak" to the Daily Telegraphh.
Somehow I don't think the two investors would just dump $5 million into the Penn's account and be done. Investing in Penn Sport is investing in Manly, and I'm sure our club will benefit from this money.
The club has done well lately, with many sponsors coming on board, the facilities being upgraded and a squad overhaul even the most optimistic of us couldn't have hoped for six months ago. People are allowed to be happy about this without you claiming they're "lemmings" and falling for a "charm offensive".

Well said mate, people are happy or unhappy for many different reasons. Personally I'm extremely excited about the cattle we'll have on field next year, and distance myself from having too much thought around club management and administration as I really don't have much idea about what has or is going on. While others may be disillusioned because of the current owners and info being filtered through to various media streams etc.

There may well be 'rosy' type press releases coming from the club to paint them in a more positive light after recent times, and each of us can have different thoughts on this without being part of the herd.

I'm happy the club is in a good position financially and onfield, but fully understand why others have reservations about a range of issues at the club.

My thoughts exactly Mitch.

I'm happy we have a club that's not NRL funded in 2016
I'm happy about our roster, the recruitment has been outstanding
I'm excited (like everyone else) to see what the new year brings

BUT, unlike some on here, I'm not doing cartwheels over what are mainly fluff pieces, leaked by Pennsports to their mates in the media.

Anyone not liking me for making those comments can simply block me, and lemmings or otherwise everyone on here is entitled to an opinion, some will like mine, some won't.....pffft what's new!!

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7