Walker at 5/8 and positives

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
DCE was a overwhelmed by how he had to take charge, with stewart back, the structure will improve and more time to gel is needed, the williame curse is powerful too

The only real positive is he went hunting the ball. Be it going for a run or putting inba kick. He sucked all night long and his timing wasn't quite right, but he had a real go. And I'll respect that.

I thought walker showed promise, but he keeps running sideways, which is a centre trait. Would like to see him straighten up.

A few times he ran from dummy half and actually looked dangerous. He is going to need some time to adjust, so we need to give him some time.

Our last 20mins was much more promising. Parcell made an impact to our play.

I'm sorry guys but that was ****. I was expecting so much more out of that side and they were completely outplayed and out-enthused, and the dogs weren't even that impressive.
You could tell tonight which team had the better coach. The dogs seemed to have a game plan to stick to. We looked lost, completely pathetic at times.

I thought he played really well. He put in some nice kicks, getting us some repeat sets. He landed that bomb on a dime for Leary to keep Rona in the in-goal. He almost set up our first try if George could have controlled the ball. I also liked the long ball to Matai (that Skivvy dropped). Sure, Skivvy was about to be smashed, but it was a lovely bullet he threw and with time, those passes will start to stick. This young guy is supremely talented and does not lack confidence. I really like the look of him as a footballer.

I do agree with Chip though; DCE should be the dominant half, but it's really up to Daly to demand the ball and take control.

Positives for me - Jake T was Mr Consistency; cheer leaders looked mighty fine; there is still grass on the Hill; Lyon had it on a string, 100% goal kicking ;)

This is a rebuilding year. Hope people see that. Players need to grow in their positions, and build chemistry.

Very true. Problem is, all the pre-season hype has got people believing that all this team needs to do is go through the motions to challenge for the premiership, which is wildly optimistic.
Agree with everyone else that Walker was solid and the least of our problems. Ball security was a joke and our pack got trampled as a result. We talked a good game before kick off but played like busted a***holes. If we fix that Walker has a lot of potential. The bigger worry is that between him and DCE, he was the more dominant half. That shouldn't happen.

This is a rebuilding year. Hope people see that. Players need to grow in their positions, and build chemistry.

We also had Brett Stewart, Jamie Buhrer, Feleti Mateo, Tom Symonds, Brenton Lawrence & posssibly Josh Starling out of the team.
Usually agree with a lot you say ( hope you are wrong about Liam) Saying this year is a rebuilding year is totally unacceptable after the carnage of last year with the only survivor being Willow lol. Will reserve judgement until mid season but am expecting us to be in contention. We can not accept any form of mediocrity this year!

Dylan played better than Milford did last year in round 1, he won't be moved out of 5/8 for the whole year so just wait and see he will show what he is capable of, it's not exactly easy to come to a side round 1 with 3 players of a spine you've never played with.

Ok I'm not going to say I'm not disappointed about tonight, I really thought we would kick off the season a lot better, but these things happen. Firstly on Walker, sure he looked lost, and did some ordinary things, but I can't fault his effort in trying to get involved, and who remembers in 07 when Killer starts playing 5/8? His performances were highly criticised to say the least and he was integral in us winning in 08. And to me Killer is a lot better ball player and naturally gifted than Walker, so it will take time.

Other points, I thought Jake tried his balls off, Tommy will be better for the run and again tried to get involved and did some good things. I also thought Leary was underused, he seemed to cause a lot of havoc when he came on.

Anyway, disappointing, but we killed ourselves in that first half. You can't drop balls like that and expect to win big games.
Mate take your common sense and piss off! Today is about over reacting and wanting to sack everyone!

By round 7 after Walker gains confidence & Manly begin to gel with 2nd phase passes....sticking, this kid will prove dynamite & everyone will support him as a key player who can turn a game with that 1 decisive run....Dogs are a spoiling team who got away with slowing it to their pace....& why not...it worked....lets put it this way....Milford - the Bronco's excitement machine...was shut down EXACTLY the same game 1 last season....round 26-a different result.
Seems like last year all over again. Same people death riding, same people see hope.

I haven't been a Leary fan but he definitely provided a spark with his effort last night. Parcell too. Might have to leave him on the bench but bring him in during the last 10 of the first half. I think you need him exploiting tired forwards rather than starting. Walker was trying but too hard. Next week won't carry the huge expectations of round 1 so I expect him to be more fluid. The pack will come good. The quality is there.

One thing I was thinking about was that I know they do a lot of day training, but the field was greasy last night as it is. Wonder if those drops were just a product of all the dry day training. Hopefully it's as simple as that. Colour me optimistic...

Anyway I'm not going to read the reports of the game. I know what I saw.

I'm sorry guys but that was ****. I was expecting so much more out of that side and they were completely outplayed and out-enthused, and the dogs weren't even that impressive.
You could tell tonight which team had the better coach. The dogs seemed to have a game plan to stick to. We looked lost, completely pathetic at times.
The Dogs looked pretty impressive to me. Big mobile fit fast forwards with line speed. Even useless trex was running like a train. IMO if they play like that all season they are top 4 with ease.

Man but im with you we looked pathetic. I know we have a new team but i dont give a **** lol, we had a lot of rep footy players out there and we looked ****e.

i think expecting DCE to play a thurston like role, demanding the ball and organising the team, is a bad error
he's never been an organiser - he floats in and out of games, makes silly mistakes, but often just does brilliant sh!t out of nowhere to set up or score a try.
from what i've seen of parcell, out of your middle field players, he's the guy to do the organising, establish the structure, etc. apart from being skilful, he's got a great game face - eyeing out options rather than just delivering the ball to DCE

walker seemed fine, his kicks were often ineffectual and too frequent, but i reckon he'll slot in ok. with DCE as he is, and a running 5/8, i really think we need an 80 min hooker - and parcell's the guy for that role.

if he needs a rest, we could do worse than having ferris out of dummy half and bring on another big bopper. ferris is a 100 minute player when available.

If anything Walker needs to see more of the ball I think. DCE cramped him for space. Give him room to use his footwork and speed.

Really pleased with is kicking game too. Showed a lot of promise and apart from the dropped ball had a good game.

I suspect the coaching staff have over complicated it, and need to keep it a little more simple until blokes gel.

That Players from different clubs can go to an all stars or city country game, have an entire side of lads they don't know, have 2 training sessions and look 10 x better then what we did last night. Doesn't sit well.

It wasnt anyone in particulars fault, it was lost team still trying to click, timing was so off for everyone and DCE inst thurston, "yet", with stewart back it will take alot of pressure of him and we will slowly see things click into gear, but slowly, its a 5 year makeover acomplished in an off season, theres gonna be a few bugs, still better then round one last year.
Very well said - I don't know why this is such a surprise to so many. We had half a new team that has had 20 minutes of actual game time together and people thought we'd beat a team that has been together for years under the same coach?

We will be disjointed for the first 6 weeks or so and then will start to gel and get a few wins. When we hit the half way mark we will start to click and come home strongly. I'd say we will scrape into the 8 but with momentum and might cause a few headaches. Next year is the year for us to have a massive crack at the title.

Very well said - I don't know why this is such a surprise to so many. We had half a new team that has had 20 minutes of actual game time together and people thought we'd beat a team that has been together for years under the same coach?

We will be disjointed for the first 6 weeks or so and then will start to gel and get a few wins. When we hit the half way mark we will start to click and come home strongly. I'd say we will scrape into the 8 but with momentum and might cause a few headaches. Next year is the year for us to have a massive crack at the title.
Yep well said. It's not really a surprise, but I think we were all hoping that we'd get off to a flier, when in reality it was a bit of wishful thinking. A couple of players just looked a bit lost, which is to be understood given new combos. I hope we all see that this is a rebuild which could have taken 5 years. And we've undertaken it in a short period which means it will be quicker, but the disjointed effect will be greater.

Love, love, love this post mate. As I said pre-season. Lets make this a 3 year plan. All I ask under each coach, is that we see improvement.

That means for mine:-
1. Top 8 this year
2. Top 4 next year
3. Premiership :) The year after !

Love, love, love this post mate. As I said pre-season. Lets make this a 3 year plan. All I ask under each coach, is that we see improvement.

That means for mine:-
1. Top 8 this year
2. Top 4 next year
3. Premiership :) The year after !
Haha I said Id be happy with top 8 this year a couple of weeks back and people were like "anything other than top 4 is failure after the clean out!"

You'd think the way people carry on we'd gone undefeated and won the comp every single year.

Last night was really our second trial. There were problems but positives too. Look for big improvement this week.

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7