Post-Game Discussion Warriors V Manly [Round 6, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Warriors
Vs
Sea Eagles
22 Go Media Stadium
13 Apr 2024 15:00
80:00 minute

Match Stats

Again the NRL has caused confusion with new rules:
1. The "disruptor". If this rule is implemented every time a kick is put up then we'll have chaos. Is this a B&W rule like obstruction, or at the discretion of the ref? What if the ball has bounced; is it then a rule?
2. A kicker's leg comes in contact with an opposition player? Does this apply to accidental contact, or when the kicker actually causes the contact? What's to stop any player putting in a kick and deliberately striking the opposition with his foot? It could happen every tackle. Again, is this a B&W rule or only when the Bunker can use it to create a result like happened tonight?

my 2 cents worth:
we were up 16-0 and in a two man tackle on their 20 toff & someone else lay on the attacker way too long to give away a stupid penalty(3rd or 4th tackle).
then s.j. kicks for touch & no one gets back ready so the ball bounces in play before finally crossing the side line.
then they score soon after.
can't blame the ref for any of that, or the intercept when we should have been controlling possession so close to half time, maybe a last second field goal attempt.
the ref did miss a couple of knock ons that benefited us also.
its understandable that he missed them because he certainly never spotted and warriors players off side through the game, they must be quicker off the mark than usain bolt!
somehow i can't see us winning a game that goes into golden point unless manly change their tactics.
every time they had the ball it was 1 off the ruck for five tackles then kick.

my 2 cents worth:
we were up 16-0 and in a two man tackle on their 20 toff & someone else lay on the attacker way too long to give away a stupid penalty(3rd or 4th tackle).
then s.j. kicks for touch & no one gets back ready so the ball bounces in play before finally crossing the side line.
then they score soon after.
can't blame the ref for any of that, or the intercept when we should have been controlling possession so close to half time, maybe a last second field goal attempt.
the ref did miss a couple of knock ons that benefited us also.
its understandable that he missed them because he certainly never spotted and warriors players off side through the game, they must be quicker off the mark than usain bolt!
somehow i can't see us winning a game that goes into golden point unless manly change their tactics.
every time they had the ball it was 1 off the ruck for five tackles then kick.

I think both teams tried not to lose in golden point, rather than go for the win.

We did well to hang on in the end, tough 80 last week, thought we scrambled and worked hard to compete with the Wahs who clearly have a more up tempo game than we do, there wasn’t much petrol left in the tank for GP.
I think we take a lot out of today, yes we should of won, but we hung in and dug deep, wouldn‘t of happened last year, thinking of the cows game at home, we’ve come a long way, not happy about the end result, but very happy with how we’re travelling thus far (minus the goons game, that may have served as a blessing in disguise) we have a different challenge next week, carrying the same intent as the past 2 weeks into a game against a not so fancied opponent. We’ve be caught out in the past, be very happy if we play out a strong 80 and put a score on them.

How are people happy with the team and the boys and the effort? We drew a game we were leading 16 nil, and up by 8 points with a minute on the clock?!

Way to fluff a victory. We should have been more desperate to wrap the ball up there when Johnson found DWZ. Then we should have never given Johnson a chance for a miracle field goal. They marched up field in that last set.

We need to develop a killer instinct and start winning consistently. I’m tired of the ups at downs at Manly.

Our defence was well prepared for the dangerous warriors attack. Big tick in trying to win it with defence in one way.

But I don't like they put the attacking cue in the rack all the same Sure try and win it with your defence and grind it with field position. But we through zero in attack for the last 20 mins of that game. Got to find that balance of percentage attacking plays.

Still positives from it. On wards and up wards. Some fresh blood next week to get the win.
I agree we threw little at them but I have a feeling it was fatigue.

How are people happy with the team and the boys and the effort? We drew a game we were leading 16 nil, and up by 8 points with a minute on the clock?!

Way to fluff a victory. We should have been more desperate to wrap the ball up there when Johnson found DWZ. Then we should have never given Johnson a chance for a miracle field goal. They marched up field in that last set.

We need to develop a killer instinct and start winning consistently. I’m tired of the ups at downs at Manly.
Agree with your sentiments, but I am reasonably happy with how the sides progressing overall, I’m certainly not happy with certain aspects, however under the circumstances, think the effort today was good.

I don’t think anyone’s happy about losing, drawing or giving up 14 and 16 point leads, tough game last week, would of been a factor today, with possibly a tougher assignment today, in trying conditions, we completed at 84% and should of won, a couple of poor % options and in the end just probably didn’t have any petrol left in the tank.

No Saab, Gaz or Brown, Burbo goes down, an already rearranged backline gets rearranged, Frog HIA, we stayed in the game, last year we get rolled forget GP, today we stayed in the fight under tuff conditions to hold on for a draw, last yer we probably lose, recall the Cows at home, so not to unhappy with how we’re going, however i’ll be pissed if we don’t turn up and roll the Tits next week.

The Brooks intercept pass on half time was a shocker and most telling...it was so readable.

I'll take one point today, the Wahs are tough at home. Yes it should have been two points, Johnson's goal after that late try was clutch, put them within two.

Honestly, after the Lussick incident last week, if they didn't award a penalty, the locals would have rioted. But it was a soft as f**k penalty

1713015887358.png

Well why was this not a penalty DCE had exactly the same thing happen to him by AFB

Double standards

Last edited:
What to do? Perhaps they should read the edict that came from the nrl referees to all clubs that the onus is on defenders to not come into contact with the kicker's legs. As stated majority of manly fans need to go and read the info regarding lussicks ban for 4 weeks last week.

Was a game full of missed opportunities. What could have been if DCE got more length on his fg attempt, if SJ converted those easy 2 pts, if tohu had not lost the ball, if brooks hadnt tried a hero pass with 30 seconds to go till ht.

Both teams have got major work ons. Warriors were well below their best so definately lots to work on. Suspect Seibold would have been unhappier about that after that huge lead. Bring on rnd 24 at 4 pines. A dry track would suit both teams and see where we are both at. One thing feels certain though, win lose or draw, majority of both sets of supporters would whinge about the ref.
Huge leads mean nothing nowadays when you have constant repeat sets of six and swings in possession

Again the NRL has caused confusion with new rules:
1. The "disruptor". If this rule is implemented every time a kick is put up then we'll have chaos. Is this a B&W rule like obstruction, or at the discretion of the ref? What if the ball has bounced; is it then a rule?
2. A kicker's leg comes in contact with an opposition player? Does this apply to accidental contact, or when the kicker actually causes the contact? What's to stop any player putting in a kick and deliberately striking the opposition with his foot? It could happen every tackle. Again, is this a B&W rule or only when the Bunker can use it to create a result like happened tonight?
Again, the NRL bring in rules/interpretations that in essence are understandable but in reality cause confusion, especially when ruled on as black and white.

Protecting the kickers legs is all good and tries to eradicate dangerous play - diving at the legs in the act of kicking.
Surely there are certain indicators to determine a penalty, not just contact with a leg?

This now somewhat eliminates the charge down to some degree.
Alioai came in from an angle, didn't leave the ground, nor "attacked" the legs of Johnson so how they came to that decision is bewildering.

It's funny (not really) that you're not allowed to tackle a player after he's kicked the ball but how many times in a game do we see the kicker being cuddled after a clearing kick?
Why is that okay but if the kicker puts in a short and decides to chase but gets a bump it's a penalty.
Why isn't that a black and white rule too?

TBH, whatever rules they come up with it still comes down to the "application" and consistency which still causes problems.

Well we had a few injuries that added to the final result, not to mention Warriars at home are no easy beats. I understand what you are saying and we have alot of improvement before we are close to being a true premiership threat but I see improvements over previous years and that makes me happy.

Tough game ( as I said it would be ) , always thought it would come down to 1 point , said so in my last comment before signing off the GDT.

Just sorry it ended up 1 point each , but maybe that’s a fair result as there wasn’t much between them.

I continue to laugh at the Woods haters , he came on ( very briefly ) made 1 hit up , about 6 tackles ( never missed one ) and apparently the whole game changed as soon as he came on!!

For ****s sake get real !!! 😂😂😂😂

Anyway get used to him because with no Burbo next week he’ll be chosen again.
He missed at least one, the Warriors ran straight past him for their first try.

What to do? Perhaps they should read the edict that came from the nrl referees to all clubs that the onus is on defenders to not come into contact with the kicker's legs. As stated majority of manly fans need to go and read the info regarding lussicks ban for 4 weeks last week.

Was a game full of missed opportunities. What could have been if DCE got more length on his fg attempt, if SJ converted those easy 2 pts, if tohu had not lost the ball, if brooks hadnt tried a hero pass with 30 seconds to go till ht.

Both teams have got major work ons. Warriors were well below their best so definately lots to work on. Suspect Seibold would have been unhappier about that after that huge lead. Bring on rnd 24 at 4 pines. A dry track would suit both teams and see where we are both at. One thing feels certain though, win lose or draw, majority of both sets of supporters would whinge about the ref.
I’m all for protecting fullbacks trying to catch a bomb & halves kicking for whatever reason.

BUT , and here’s where we need common sense , the defending team have to have the right to try and nullify a field goal.

Our player rushed at yours with his arms in the air , with zero intent to “ attack his legs” , your player had kicked the ball and then swung his leg around to kick our player.

Then your player falls to the ground , clutching his leg , until the resultant penalty , then just like magic jumps up , slots the goal and plays another 10 minutes.

Yes it’s the rules

But it was an absolute milking of the first degree , and in my opinion nothing other than outright cheating !!

And completely changed the game & the result .

Enjoy your 1 point , both sides deserved to get the 2 points as they never gave up but that was a very hollow ending.

Any rugby league player that feigns injury is not a good sportsperson. I think it’s embarrassing and personally, I would rather lose than see one of our players behave like that. The real winner of yesterday’s game is Manly because we held our integrity. The Warriors lost because they walked away without any integrity. Johnson should go and play soccer.

I should also point out, I am not disputing the penalty, I’m disputing Johnson’s acting skills that were on par with Home and Away and Neighbours.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8