WCC preview (Leeds POV)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Smith--------------------B Stewart
Donald-------------------Robertson
Ablett--------------------Lyon
Senior--------------------Matai
Hall-----------------------D Williams
McGuire------------------Bailey
Burrow-------------------Orford
Leuluai-------------------King
Diskin--------------------Ballin
Peacock-----------------Perry
Lauitiiti-------------------Hall
Jones-Buchanan---------Watmough
Sinfield-------------------G Stewart

Subs from:

Burgess-----------------L'Estrange
Kirke--------------------Rose
Bailey-------------------Rodney
Watkins-----------------Cuthbertson
McShane----------------Waerea-Hargreaves
Gibson------------------ n/a

OK, lets start with the traveling team... The Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles.

These guys have come to play. They have spent 2 weeks in the country and had a nice warm up against the Quins last week. Their team is littered with class players and if the backs can receive decent ball then I can see them causing Leeds a lot of problems throughout the game.

Leeds on the other hand may have had 3 league games but for me it hasn't showed us much because of the teams we have had on the field. The forwards will be defence hardened but the backs have had no time to settle plus the fact we have only had 1 half back playing means that we have had no time to practice the combinations in attack.

Players/Match-ups

For me Brett Stewart is the best attacking FB in the world at this moment in time. If they can get good field position look for him hitting the line from deep and his speed is usually enough to beat the centre.

Lyon and Matai are two very good centres. They are skillful and quick and I feel Ablett will have a tough time having to mark Matai all evening. As we have seen already over the last 12 months Ablett has struggled in defence when he plays in the centre and Matai will be the best he has ever faced. Add to this Robertson's speed against a much slower Hall and they could have a field day on that side. Maybe Leeds should revert to swapping Hall and Donald around ala last season to give this team a more ballenced look. On the other side I feel Seniors strength will be enough to cope with Lyon as was proven for the majority throughout Lyon's 2 years in SL. I feel the Leeds attacking line will have to be deeper than normal though to give us chance of getting around the outside of the Manly team.

As far as the half backs go this will all depend on how Bailey plays. As good as Orford is he seems to struggle when everything is on his shoulders. I think back to a game in the last few rounds of last season at Brookvale against Melbourne where Lyon was out and Menzies played at 6. Manly dominated the game but just couldn't create and ended up losing. Orfords kicking game was all over the place and in a defense orientated game, which I believe Sunday will be too, he came up wanting. This time though Lyon is in the team and can take the weight of Orford's back if things aren't going right. As for Leeds a lot will depend on the fitness of Burrow. He hasn't played since the Salford game in January so may be a bit off the pace. The good thing though is that Leeds will finally have a good attacking Half Back partnership on the field and I think that has shown in the last 3 games.

Leeds seem stronger up front than Manly and I see this as a key to the game. If the forwards can get on top and stop Orford getting decent ball to the outside backs then I can see Leeds taking the game. It will also allow Burrow to do what he does best, and play behind the line. I am a tad disappointed to not see Kite playing because I class his as the best front rower in the World at the moment and his match up against Jamie peacock would have been worth the entrance money alone.

For me the back row is pretty even with Hall, Watmough and Glenn Stewart up against Lauiti'iti, Jones-Buchanan and Sinfield. Both sets are creative and are powerful runners of the ball. Also all are solid defenders. If Ali Lauiti'iti can do his magic though they may find it hard to cope with him.

My players to watch are:

Matt Diskin

If he can control the ruck like previous weeks and get a roll on the Manly forwards may struggle to keep the pace.

Matt Orford

If he gets good ball and is able to dictate play then Manly will have the upper hand all night.

My Verdict:

I can see 2 outcomes on Sunday (duh, thats obvious you say Laughing but hear me out).

If Leeds forwards get on top and stop the outside backs from being able to play then I can see Leeds winning by 6.

If the opposite happens and Manly get the chance to show their flair then I have Manly to win by 16.

Anyway good luck to both teams and I hope it's an entertaining game.

Armwrestle between the forwards,dont know too much about Manlys pack but i've GREAT faith in our boys up front.LEEDS VICTORY.
  COME ON YOU RHINOS

it is a very strange comment to make considering without kite we still have 3 aussie reps, a city rep and a junir kangaroo in his 3rd season who was a bees dick off the clive churchill.

Fluffy link said:
it is a very strange comment to make considering without kite we still have 3 aussie reps, a city rep and a junir kangaroo in his 3rd season who was a bees dick off the clive churchill.

Dont get me wrong. As I said you are still strong but I think we are slightly stronger.

Leuluai is a much better player now than when he left you guys. At first we thought what have we signed but now he's a fan favorite. And I know after the last WC that this wont mean much but we have 5 GB rep players, an ex Kiwi who is playing the best footy of his life and last years rookie of the year (Luke Burgess) in the run on team and the bench and thats just the forwards. I know a lot about the footy over there too so its not like im just a clueless pom ;D

Yes, the NRL is far superior to the SL on a whole but the top 2 over here could compete over there. I mean, when Leeds can beat 2 full teams with their reserves in the trials and win 3 SL games with half a team out it shows that we are not that bad.

You have to remember that club footy is different to internatonal and the Leeds team would probably have done a better job than the English last Spring.

The Leeds pack is very solid, esp in the conditions over here with slower tracks. manly had some fun playing razzle dazzle last week but this will more than likely be a tight one; it's pre-season for us and despite all the rocket science at training people just do dumb things like drop the ball alot very early on in the year. Leeds have some comp games under their belt. It'll be tough.

Home ground advantage is a massive help and our guys are up against it. However, they are taking it very seriously. I think it will be very close, either way, though having an Aussie ref is good as the physicality of NRL is distinctive to the touch footy type of ruck that seems to count in SuperLeague.

Looking forward to Leuluai v. Perry. Didn't think I'd see these two lining up against each other again.

LMAO - orford is the only playmaker they have to look out for yet they have about half a dozen

Glenn Stewart will have a field day if they give him room

Fluffy link said:
LMAO - orford is the only playmaker they have to look out for yet they have about half a dozen

Glenn Stewart will have a field day if they give him room

It said Orford is the main playmaker and th danger man ;) .

Oh and we only have Burrow as the main play maker too yet others are dangerous ;D

One thing i have never seen orford tackled out of a game. He might be short but he is broad. Targeting Orford will only give him the opportunity to put players like Lyon, Bailey and the Stewarts away.

It is such a northern hemisphere attitude that you must target one player.

Hollywood, it was a good write up, dont worry about the local malcontent's here we like to grumble and are pretty one eyed.

I rate a lot of your pack and it wasn't long ago that we were sprouting Peacocks worth and how he would fit into the manly match.

I think Leeds have the upper hand, having a little more game time together and being locals and used to the conditions Manly are a fit hard working team and if it turns into an arm wrestle they will get up. If it is a hit and bash each other, we will suffer without Kite.

Also losing players like Bryant and Bell are going to impact us more than we would like to believe.

I am still confident that we can win, we are a strong, fast, mobile and creative pack and that is a deadly combo because they can slip into any style. After seeing what we did to melbourne in the GF though, who were almost full strength vs their pack they sent over to the UK last year, I am confident Manly can beat any team out there at the moment.

It will be a good hit out. Go Manly

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6