Weirdler reporting snake wants a a new deal for 2017

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I love snake for the things he's done on the football field the last decade. Same goes to all who took part in that great period for our club. (including watmough)

What we really need to ask is are we doing snake a favour at our own detriment or is signing him for another year (BEYOND NEXT) is the best option we have.

The answer as far as I am concerned is no. We have a future superstar in Tom Turbo ready to go right this minute who would probably do a better job from this point onwards. Let alone in one and a half seasons time as is already the case.

From a team harmony perspective, we've got 5 old heads left, all starting to look a bit slower than the rest of the comp/team. Honestly, its time to let them all finish the contact they're currently in and move on to 2005 all over again.

It's not just what's best for us. I think it might just be what's best for a few of these older guys.

Snake is one of my faves. He's just a class player. I've always stated that he is the difference between a good finish for the year and a premiership. But he is ageing and realistically I don't think he can command the big contracts anymore. Sure he could still command a very good one but not top dollar.

I do worry what effect the DCE contract will have on the playing group. Does it get the older players offside? And does it set a bad precedent for the turbos and gutho so that they see how we rewarded him after what was a very poorly managed negotiation (in a pr sense) by all parties.

Only time will tell. I'm just glad this is over!

If Snake, Lyon, Ballin and Matai are here in 2017, we are in BIG trouble.
I'm all but certain Lyon will give it up at the end of this or next season. Ballin and/or Matai will give it up at the end of 2016.
I think Brett can play in 2017.

Of the four long term veterans we have (Snake, Killer, Skivy and Matty), Snake is one who could definitely go around for one more year in 2017. The question is will his body and motivation stand up to an extra year though.

I like the idea of holding off giving him an extension until about this time next year. We don't want to sign him now and have it apparent that 2017 will be one year too many.

I love Brett and he's been one of our most consistent players over the last few years. With all the media talking about him not being happy when Gifty left and now when DCE signed for life, he hasn't said a single word. One of my favourite Manly players of all time and seems like a great guy. I don't believe a word the media says until I hear about it or see it myself. Remember what happened last time Brett was dragged through the media's judgement? The justice system found him to be not guilty and rightfully so.

I think there is every chance we will see some retirements at the end of this season as the club understands it will need to inject some new blood into the team. I love our experienced guys and I do hope that most of them stay on but the reality is it is a young mans game.

The club have invested in DCE as its future leader and any guys who cant handle that will be moved on. I think after the last year of damaging headlines the club needs some stability and the results that we see for the rest of the season will play a big part in whom remains with the club for 2016 and beyond.

I think there is every chance we will see some retirements at the end of this season as the club understands it will need to inject some new blood into the team. I love our experienced guys and I do hope that most of them stay on but the reality is it is a young mans game.

The club have invested in DCE as its future leader and any guys who cant handle that will be moved on. I think after the last year of damaging headlines the club needs some stability and the results that we see for the rest of the season will play a big part in whom remains with the club for 2016 and beyond.

When management tried to build the side last year around our 2 halves ,hard decisions needed to be made. The mob and senior players went after those people with Zorba backing them. We fans want to keep watching our greats for as long as possible but they have to go to let the next generation of greats come through. It is hard for them, its hard for us but players will come to an end and they don't want it to be now . Its always one more year. Tooves has got caught in trying to refresh the player roster and is now being undermined by some of the player group for it.
Snake its time to go now. Thanks for the memories.

We should only talk a new deal when he remembers how to return a football from kicks.

Brett needs to concentrate on footy period. If he is playing well and stays healthy, the rest should take care of itself. DCE is the new king at Manly, and Brett better get used to it or move on. Harsh, but very fair in my opinion

Brett Stewart is probably the most talented player I've ever seen in a Manly jersey. Love him, and if he wants another year I hope we can accommodate him. But man, I hope we can put an end to factions in the playing group at the same time. If you're not in the team, you're out - pretty simple.
As much as I don't like Weidler, he was firmly in Brett's corner from the start of that whole ordeal. He was also the first person to report that there was something dodgy about the alleged victim's father, and was roundly criticised for "victim bashing" at the time. The problem is, when the accusations are completely made up, the only victim is the accused. Unfortunately a lot of people still don't realise that about Brett's case.

My only real concern is that I'm really not sure that I can handle another 200 page thread...

If people really think that Trbojovic at this moment is a better fullback than Brett then I feel they are massively overrating him

That is no disservice to TT at all, but I haven't seen anything at all that puts him anywhere near Stewart class in the number 1. No doubt he will be a great player, as shown by his try against the Cowboys, but outside of that he hasn't done a lot of superstar stuff. He caught a couple of balls to stroll over and grab a double v Canberra and has looked safe under the high ball other than the 1 big bolt against the Cows

We haven't seen yet if he has Stewarts ability to put people over for tries, which is vital for us at the moment, and I don't think he would be anywhere near Stewart defensively, I doubt he could have made the tackle Stewart did that nearly saved the game at the death v Cowboys

Give the kid time to grow before saying he is better than possibly our best ever fullback

RTS, Inglis, Hayne all bided their time, 2 years on the wing won't hurt Tom Turbo

People are so quick to move on legends, the fact is B Stewart is still arguably our best player (with DCE) and I for one would give him 2017

Minichiello also a good example of a couple of years on the wing

RTS, Inglis, Hayne all bided their time, 2 years on the wing won't hurt Tom Turbo

People are so quick to move on legends, the fact is B Stewart is still arguably our best player (with DCE) and I for one would give him 2017

I don't think so. Snake at the end of next year will be it. TT will be ready then. If we don't blood him then he wont be any good and may go else where. Remember when snake could not catch a high ball and could not play well at night. He got to be great because we gave him a go as a young guy and he turn out great. We need to do the same with TT. He needs to be our fullback at the end of next year and Snake should go to the UK and play out his career like Beaver did.

I don't think so. Snake at the end of next year will be it. TT will be ready then. If we don't blood him then he wont be any good and may go else where. Remember when snake could not catch a high ball and could not play well at night. He got to be great because we gave him a go as a young guy and he turn out great. We need to do the same with TT. He needs to be our fullback at the end of next year and Snake should go to the UK and play out his career like Beaver did.

I'm sorry but I find your logic absurd, we are blooding Tom T now, just not playing him at fullback, as stated many of the top fullbacks played years in the backline before shifting to the back. By you logic Inglis would be no good because he wasn't playing fullback at 19.

Also Tom T wont go elsewhere, he is on contract till the end of 17, then we can resign him on fullback money and shift him there.......remember this is when he is 20, not 26

People are in a state of panic because we are in a rut atm but our back 5 progression is not the issue

Also the team and our future prospects are not as bad as the current situation suggests

I'm sorry but I find your logic absurd, we are blooding Tom T now, just not playing him at fullback, as stated many of the top fullbacks played years in the backline before shifting to the back. By you logic Inglis would be no good because he wasn't playing fullback at 19.

Also Tom T wont go elsewhere, he is on contract till the end of 17, then we can resign him on fullback money and shift him there.......remember this is when he is 20, not 26

People are in a state of panic because we are in a rut atm but our back 5 progression is not the issue

Also the team and our future prospects are not as bad as the current situation suggests

My issue is more with moving snake on . He does not get on with Cherry and he also is working against 2v so i am saying we need the rot cut out of the place to move on. This should be his last contract with no extensions for him. Give the fullbacks job to TT asap.

If people really think that Trbojovic at this moment is a better fullback than Brett then I feel they are massively overrating him

That is no disservice to TT at all, but I haven't seen anything at all that puts him anywhere near Stewart class in the number 1. No doubt he will be a great player, as shown by his try against the Cowboys, but outside of that he hasn't done a lot of superstar stuff. He caught a couple of balls to stroll over and grab a double v Canberra and has looked safe under the high ball other than the 1 big bolt against the Cows

We haven't seen yet if he has Stewarts ability to put people over for tries, which is vital for us at the moment, and I don't think he would be anywhere near Stewart defensively, I doubt he could have made the tackle Stewart did that nearly saved the game at the death v Cowboys

Give the kid time to grow before saying he is better than possibly our best ever fullback
He is as good as Brett was at the same time...actually he shades Brett slightly because he is a little bigger and stronger. This kid will be dominating in 2 seasons.all the good judges say it as well. I would be grooming him for fullback start of 2016. Not knocking Brett, but that's how Manly roll. Ask Bob Batty and Wombat. Both could have kept playing but went out at their peak. Turbo or bust

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8