• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Copa Eagle link said:
Whare is young, hes quick and has good hands, but in defence he is soft, a year in QLD cup would do him the world of good, we must keep Matai ! hes young (25), sure he has his injuries but he still puts in 100 percent, he bleeds maroon. I see whare having more potential on the wing, any thoughts ?

He showed in his 2nd game for us that he can compete well in defence.

jjai link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=184376.msg280317#msg280317 date=1280628209]
[quote author=jjai link=topic=184376.msg280314#msg280314 date=1280625010]
ryan has come up with a mobile pack not a brick s**t house too big & lethargic, thats why rodney in front row..doesnt mean he has to stay there all game with rose & kite on the bench..he`s an 80 minute player so he can shuffle around....

William Hopoate and Dean Whare would be mobile front rowers, doesn't make them front rowers though
[/quote] be realistic kiwi  why would you pick two inexperienced players & compare them to matai & rodney.. rodney is tough enough to handle it  he plays in the forwards any way & matai has the aggression to be in there also..
[/quote]

Ok, I will pick 2 experienced players then

Michael Robertson and Jamie Lyon would be mobile front rowers, but they should not be put there. In no way is Rodney a front rower, he would be smashed to bits and would be an absolute waste in the middle of the park

One of our main strengths is our big, dominant pack. Moving away from that is a step backwards, if you ask me

Kiwi Eagle link said:
[quote author=jjai link=topic=184376.msg280426#msg280426 date=1280709542]
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=184376.msg280317#msg280317 date=1280628209]
[quote author=jjai link=topic=184376.msg280314#msg280314 date=1280625010]
ryan has come up with a mobile pack not a brick s**t house too big & lethargic, thats why rodney in front row..doesnt mean he has to stay there all game with rose & kite on the bench..he`s an 80 minute player so he can shuffle around....

William Hopoate and Dean Whare would be mobile front rowers, doesn't make them front rowers though
[/quote] be realistic kiwi  why would you pick two inexperienced players & compare them to matai & rodney.. rodney is tough enough to handle it  he plays in the forwards any way & matai has the aggression to be in there also..
[/quote]

Ok, I will pick 2 experienced players then

Michael Robertson and Jamie Lyon would be mobile front rowers, but they should not be put there. In no way is Rodney a front rower, he would be smashed to bits and would be an absolute waste in the middle of the park
[/quote]LMFAO ;D.. you know what i meant  if them 2 were suited to that position ok,, but they are not atleast rodney & matai fit the criteria..if menzies can go to centre then im sure matai could give it a go at backrow & rodney at prop .. well thats where he will be heading eventually down the track anyway..

god damn lyon & robbo in the forwards ::)..

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Imo, rodney does not fit front row criteria at all
add 10 more kilos to his frame over the next 2 yrs  & he will be just like kite  is now .. kite was a backrower we made him a prop..

There have been heaps and heaps of second row wrecking ball man-mountains such as Dave Taylor, Ian Roberts, Willie Mason, Ryan Hoffman, Kitie and hundreds more. Rodney is much smaller than someone like Ben Creagh but built more like him and it is a huge step for either to play prop. He could but it would limit his playing career!

Ryan link said:
Guys, if we want to become more mobile and fast, could we swap Matai to the Backrow, and move one of our Backrowers to the frontrow?

Look at how well both Aubusson (for Roosters), and Lewis (for Panthers) did in that switch.

We could then use Whare in the centres. The way Rodney runs the ball, he could potentially be used as a mobile prop ALA Matt Prior from the Dragons.

We then use T-Rex off the bench as our utility backline / backrow / prop player...again, giving our team a much more mobile and quick feel about it. Something like:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Dean Whare
04. Jamie Lyon
05. David Williams
06. Keiran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Shane Rodney
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Matai
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Ben Farrar
15. George Rose
16. Brent Kite
17. Tony Williams

That would take our lumbering type players (and every team needs one or two lumbering players) to two only in Rose / King - the rest rather mobile...and that's where I think the game is heading???

I also shudder when I think of combinations with Whare / Stewart / Foran.

The only other change I might go with, would be Hoppa for Robbo....but that's in a year or two when:-

a) Hoppa is bigger, faster and more aggressive;
b) Robbo needs a solid retirement plan in the UK (or wants one).   

Definitely 1 outside the square, but i like your thought process.

1 thing that was painfully obvious to me last night is that we need more speed. Matai is a great centre, but when he gets injured in the game and plays on, we do leak points on the left side of defense.

Did you notice he was on the wing at one stage!?!? I almost had to slap myself just to make sure i wasn't seeing things. And it cost us a try. As the fox commentators said (when mullen put the kick through straight after a scrum for the try), the winger normally hangs back to protect for the short kick or grubber kick, but matai (as he usually does) we infront of the line on the wing.

I love matai but his in game injuries do cost us sometimes.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7