What Gus is planing with the Panthers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
hordernnewt said:
Wow. This forum sure has developed a way nastier tone than it used to have. ME and SER8: glad you both realized I'm a total idiot.

Oddly, I hadn't noticed ... until now. If you re-read my comment you might see that it was an attempt at humour.

Gould will sit there for 3 or 4 years awaiting a turnaround ....and if it does happen he will bask in his own " I told you so " glow that keeps him warm at night. Accepting lions share of the credit.

If it doesnt he will blame the clubs administrators, the board, the NRL, the threat of GWS or global warming...whatever it takes. If they lose he will insist he was never there to improve the football side just the business side...then he will walk out the door. Accept no blame.

He is a talented but divisive figure - could just as easily end in tears as it does in trophies.

Some say Gould is big headed & stubborn with permanent Gould blinkers on, some say he has super footy knowledge - the analogy is correct on both parts.
Many have knocked the structure at Manly with the lack of quality in the Toyota & NSW cup teams & personally I hate seeing Manly lose ANY grade. The fact is while the top grade is competing for premierships, there has been a sprinkling of quality players who will step up in the future.
Example is Warriors TC who won most games by 50+ points in 2011.
Out of that side the likelihood of NRL players is 5-6.
Manly TC will come near last in 2012 but have 4-5 players with NRL potential.
The system has not failed until the NRL side falls away & everything indicates a strong top squad now & in the future imo.

I go to a charity footy function once a year . It is the time on SOO. They get 4 or 5 well known footy personalities to make for an interesting function. For 2 years in a row Gus pulled out at last minute. Wayne Bennett filled in one year at late notice and came again the next. Did a great job (told some rippa jokes!!!!). Gus lived 5 minutes away. Pretty disppointing. Maybe a great footy brain ..but as a person..not so good IMO.

DSM5 said:
Captainskin I'm so glad you disagree, but you don't say why.

I think Phil Gould is a very smart man and adds a lot of insight, knowledge and wisdom to the viewer of the game. I certainly learn quite a bit to how reads what is going on in the field during the game. I also think he is articulate and relays his thoughts succinctly (sp?) and clearly. I see someone like Daniel Anderson following in his footsteps.
I also think he is patient about the Penrith dilemma and is not there for the quick fix. For penrith to even consider bringing Phil Gould into the fold in such a powerful position they must know what this man brings to the club and game.

It cracks me up how just because people don't like Gould, they try and paint whatever he is doing out there as a failure

RE: What Gus is planing with the Panthers

Captain, you could say the same for all the commentators at the games. They sit high up and can see the game unfold moreso that us regular punters. I dare say if we were up there too, we could say the same stuff and impart the same 'wisdom'. Gould has won a couple of premierships and guided, guided, a highly talented bunch of players at SOO level. Meninga is also a loud mouthed myth who has achieve more at that level than Gould. Do you rate Meninga? I'd be patient at Penrith, if I was being paid 500K per year. I'd like that to go on forever.

I thought he was going to sign lussick. gus got excited every time he took the ball up

DSM5 said:
Captain, you could say the same for all the commentators at the games. They sit high up and can see the game unfold moreso that us regular punters. I dare say if we were up there too, we could say the same stuff and impart the same 'wisdom'. Gould has won a couple of premierships and guided, guided, a highly talented bunch of players at SOO level. Meninga is also a loud mouthed myth who has achieve more at that level than Gould. Do you rate Meninga? I'd be patient at Penrith, if I was being paid 500K per year. I'd like that to go on forever.

I like Gould because he can communicate his thougts, his ideas, his reasoning. If a man can communicate articuately and he sounds half reasonable then he has my attention. I find Mal hard to understand. :D

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6