What is it with our left hand side defence

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Fibro Eagle

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
What is it with our left hand side defence ?
Points ive seen :
Shuffling backwards Green appears to set it but there all going backwards Kelly then Wright then Wright comes in off his wing , we were moving backwards faster than they were coming
It happens more when teams get rolling against us then go wide towards our left hand side
Are they coached to slide backwards ?
Are they afraid to move up and in ? . (todays game just before 1/2 time Kelly did move up and it nullified there attack )
Is it an easy fix by identifying it with video and getting up and in or is the the way TB wants them to defend ?

Points ive seen :
Shuffling backwards Green appears to set it but there all going backwards Kelly then Wright then Wright comes in off his wing , we were moving backwards faster than they were coming
It happens more when teams get rolling against us then go wide towards our left hand side
Are they afraid to move up and in ? . (todays game just before 1/2 time Kelly did move up and it nullified there attack )
Is it an easy fix by identifying it with video and getting up and in or is the the way TB wants them to defend ?

Well. I would be awfully suprised if TB coached the Right side differently to the Left, but who knows.

I will point out again that B.Kelly had an excellent 2nd half, both defensively, and with ball in hand.

Well. I would be awfully suprised if TB coached the Right side differently to the Left, but who knows.

I will point out again that B.Kelly had an excellent 2nd half, both defensively, and with ball in hand.
Kelly was better in the 2nd half he did get up more i noticed that
I just don't know why they backpeddle so much you can see it happening you can see the opposing team will score and it happens in so many games this year and they still haven't fixed it

Points ive seen :
I noticed it too.
It was prominent today. I thought they had the backward slide happening especially with their wingers tries.

Wright had a shocker. He does not jump for the high ball, he does not move up when he is on his goal line and makes bad reads. Added to that he is slower than most second rowers. Kelly was better today but not really targeted. Whilst DCE saved us I am concerned by the number of tackles he missed. Iwonder if he is carrying an injury. Green really didn't have a great game and I believe our problem is that we are playing dumb footy. It's not rocket science. Smart kicking into the corners and repeat sets. Fortunately the Warriors made more errors than we did but the Rif wonted make that many errors. if we play at the same level it won't be a happy ending! We have the potential but do we have the mental fortitude?

There is such little confidence on our left edge at the moment. The best thing I saw today was Brian Kelly defending up and in and making some good tackles in the second half. Someone has to tell Matt Wright to stay on his wing and trust young Kelly because he is coming in and not getting anyone and getting out flanked over and over again. I would like to see them come up in a line and be more aggressive in their defense rather than the passive indecision that we continue to see.

Wright had a shocker. He does not jump for the high ball, he does not move up when he is on his goal line and makes bad reads. Added to that he is slower than most second rowers. Kelly was better today but not really targeted. Whilst DCE saved us I am concerned by the number of tackles he missed. Iwonder if he is carrying an injury. Green really didn't have a great game and I believe our problem is that we are playing dumb footy. It's not rocket science. Smart kicking into the corners and repeat sets. Fortunately the Warriors made more errors than we did but the Rif wonted make that many errors. if we play at the same level it won't be a happy ending! We have the potential but do we have the mental fortitude?

Wright I cant defend.

Kelly's 2nd half was quality.

Green was immense in attack especially 1st half.
2 40/20's, try assist, etc, etc.
No Green = no win.

DCE missed a few tackles no doubt....also made 30 odd by halftime. I have no idea of his final count.

Anyone bagging the kicking game of any player on the field today, in those conditions, loses a lot of credibility imo.

Yes I was very happy to see him show us what he can offer, although his defence (despite appearing better) still wasn't good enough. Hopefully he keeps improving back to his form he had. Will be great to have Siro back, outstanding even

Comes down to quality and experience on both sides

Uate + Walker + DCE are a lot more experienced and have played at the highest level in pressure games.

Green + Kelly + Wright are not the same quality nor experience.

Also having a back row that doesn't show urgency doesn't help that situation.

Killer, DCE, Foran & Matai were superstar quality and didn't matter who played on the outside of them.

Wright I cant defend.

No Green = no win.

DCE missed a few tackles no doubt....also made 30 odd by halftime. I have no idea of his final count.

Anyone bagging the kicking game of any player on the field today, in those conditions, loses a lot of credibility imo.
Whilst I
Wright I cant defend.

No Green = no win.

Not concerned about about my credibility just expressing my opinion. I respect yours but game management is everything and champion players play to the conditions. We had a gale at our back in the first half and managed only 8 points with only 42% of possession. The Warriors should have spent the first half running the all out from their own goal line burning up all of their energy. Instead they had 52% of possession and scored two tries to one in the first half. Fortunately they didn't,t play smart in the second half and made too many errors.

Not concerned about about my credibility just expressing my opinion. I respect yours but game management is everything and champion players play to the conditions. We had a gale at our back in the first half and managed only 8 points with only 42% of possession. The Warriors should have spent the first half running the all out from their own goal line burning up all of their energy. Instead they had 52% of possession and scored two tries to one in the first half. Fortunately they didn't,t play smart in the second half and made too many errors.

In all honesty, how many games of RL have you seen where the team running into the wind in the 2nd half has prevailed ?

It happens and has happened regularly over the years.

It happened in the 4pm game this arvo as well, lmao.
It is almost counter-productive to be "putting a points differential " on the wind. Teams seem to thrive running against it.

If we are being serious, Manly were by far the better exponents of the gale today.

I'm surprised, having played under Bellache and with the best organised team in recent years, that Green doesn't defend well. He did some good things in attack but is a liability in defence.

Has anyone considered that our left side defence is just fine, but other teams have amazing right side attacks?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8