What the 9' taught us...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I learnt that rugby league players can't drop kick a football to save their lives. Surely if you have played footy for any length of time, let alone as your profession, you can drop kick a football between the posts from dead in front ?? Some woeful attempts witnessed over the weekend.

Felt negative about the 2017 season but after the nines feel positive. Some of the new recruits,Sironen, Kelly looked good and generally the Player's were larger and fitter than last year.

Agree Tom Wright is a talent, so is Schuster and Kelly....AFB looks like a wrecking ball, much fitter as well. Not sold on Lane or Perrit. I think both will be borderline bench players....I really liked BJ's leadership...he has to be in the side each week. he has that old Manly competitor about him that guys like Kite/King/Gifty/Choc all had....My only real concern is pace...I really think we should go after this Gideon M from the cowboys....

What learnt is that by paying 2.75 to make the right it is a licence to print money
Combine them with 2 or three others in a multi and you can get up to 7 to one

I think it was a good bonding experience. Being competitive would have helping. I recorded the first match and replayed the first first try scored against us a number of times to see which manly player was at the back. He turned sooo slow and was soo big I assumed it was a prop. It was like a cruise ship doing a 180. It was Jono Wright. I suppose he only has to run straight. Opposition would be keen to put kicks in behind him.

Don't know if I learnt it, but I suspect .....

1) Kelly goes ok, but a year away from FG.
2) Schuster and Tom Wright are both bright prospects this year.
3) Lawrence for President.
4) Siro in the 2nd row.
5) Walker may live up to his hype.
6) Overall team looks fitter and stronger.
7) When fit Parker will have all the new boys well covered for the centre spot.

And it appears there is a good vibe slowly building in this team.

4) Siro in the 2nd row.

I'd be tempted to have Kelly and Tom Wright on the wings. Both fast and clever and know how to get over the line. One centre position remains uncertain but if Matai is fit at least for much of the season, that should solve it.

I'd be tempted to have Kelly and Tom Wright on the wings. Both fast and clever and know how to get over the line. One centre position remains uncertain but if Matai is fit at least for much of the season, that should solve it.
Did Tom wright score?

After seeing Walker I learnt that I hope we pass all the drug tests. He's that much bigger than last season that I hardly recognised him. Thought he was impressive too.

I also learnt that the 9's concept is still rubbish. It's a waste of time and not worth the risk of injury.

I still watched every Manly game. No others though. And I could not help but notice that the stands looked empty.

We all have our own views and that might be hard to accept if they arent the same as yours or the clubs, but I assure you I am no lesser a supporter than you or anyone else on here.
I am absolutely certain that I am a betterer supporter than you.

Interesting what matty johns said on the radio this morning,one thing it does show is how much work is put into defence by teams and that's a good sign for the upcoming season.couldnt argue with that the top four teams looked especially good.

Did Tom wright score?

Not in the 9s. But in his union days he was a try scoring freak and apparently had a couple of smart tries in the 20s when he played near the end of the year. I'm basing it on past efforts, just as I am on Kelly. I would however add Schuster to that list.

Last edited:

4) Siro in the 2nd row.

I pretty much agree with that summary Woodsie the only disappointments for me were Jorge, J Wright & Perrit ... I thought BJ was great ... Cullen was pretty good but how will hew handle NRL giants for 80 minutes Kelly, T Wright, Schuster and young Lussick all showed a lot of promise in the backs and AFB, Sirronen & Lane all looked likely first graders .... Jono Wright & Perrit looked lazy ... Perrit took one run and put up his hand to be replaced so he doesn't look like he could handle too many minutes.
Dylan Walker looked dangerous and as we know he has some toe when he puts his fut down ... Jorge is frustrating as always one step forward one or two steps back!! Pita bread played well but he is tiny.

Not in the 9s. But in his union days he was a try scoring freak and apparently had a couple of smart tries in the 20s when he played near the end of the year. I'm basing it on past efforts, just as I am on Kelly.
Well seen quite a lot of tom over the years dont know about freak but definately has talent. Did some good things in 20s last year( first year in league)pleasing for me at the nines was he looked much better in defence. Don't think he is ready for first grade but a year in the 20s and nsw cup will do him good. Only 19 don't need to rush him. Thought kelly looked good in the nines , sure knows how to find the line.he looks ready

After seeing Walker I learnt that I hope we pass all the drug tests. He's that much bigger than last season that I hardly recognised him. Thought he was impressive too.

I also learnt that the 9's concept is still rubbish. It's a waste of time and not worth the risk of injury.

I still watched every Manly game. No others though. And I could not help but notice that the stands looked empty.

agree re walker he has definitely bulked up lets hope he is in for a big season.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8