What the Sea Eagles do that makes them better?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
G

Gator

Hi

I am actually an ex Manly supporter (now Broncos supporter) by I seek enlightenment from the Manly faithful.

Brookvale is without doubt the Fortress of the NRL (regardless of what happens on sunday). What is it that The Sea Eagles, Brookvale and the supporters do better than the Broncos that make Brookvale Oval so much more of a fortress than Suncorp Stadium. I was there at Suncorp Stadium for the Manly home game earlier this year. (Even taking into account the number of Broncos players missing), Suncorp Stadium appeared to hold liitle or no intimidation factor for visiting supporters and their supporters. For those many supporters who were at the game, what is that the Broncos do the makes it so good for opposition supporters. Thanks
P.S. Kieran Foran has to be the frontrunner for the Dally M this year

I am going to move this to the main league forum in the morning as you will get more response there.

This is a good topic though.

Not a whole lot of other supporters get to brookie and a crowd of 12,000 can feel like 18000 or more. The shape and layout makes the place feel packed and you hear everything.

When you go to brookie you know that you are on Manly turf and the crowd remind you consistently.

Only Manly play there as well and don't share the ground with others, it's a home as old as it may be and it means a lot to the fans and some of the players. Manly breeds passion and it is evident no where else more than brookie

I can't say I've ever been to Suncorp but from what mates who have been there say & from what I've seen/heard on TV, the stadium just isn't that loud. Broncos fans don't get into the match in the same way that other teams fans do. There is generally one or two calls a game that go our way when they wouldn't normally, fans can impact the refs & the players.

Manly always aim up at Brookie as well, our defence is just meaner, faster & rougher at the old girl. Not sure what you would put this down to but having guys like Des & Tooves involved with the team couldn't be hurting that, not to mention the plethora of past Manly greats that are always around the team. It certainly seems like it means a lot to the players to win at Brookie.

I would say basically it's the size of the stadium. If you're talking about a fortress or a cauldron then it's got to be a boutique style stadium. You want to be rubbing shoulders up on the hill rather than sitting 10 seats away from the nearest person.

Unless of course you could fill suncorp every week!

1. The Hill. Very noisy, just like Leichhardt where Balmain win most matches
2. The long grass. Manly are used to it. It tires opposition players towards the end of matches.
3. The intimacy. Fans are close to the action.
4. The history. There is blood, sweat and tears in the fabric of the joint. Shiny new stadiums like Suncorp, SFS and Homebush can't capture it.

Hard for the Brisbane crowd to build any atmsophere when the best they can muster is some monosyllabic grunts.

I don't know about others, but i've felt intimidated every time I've been to Suncorp. Felt like I was in a scene from Deliverance.

I'd put a stand where the family hill is and one behind the existing hill, they would match the current stands

The Eagle said:
I'd put a stand where the family hill is and one behind the existing hill, they would match the current stands

Agree about a grandstand at the family hill end, but i think they should leave the Eastern hill as it is

I would say that our facilities/dressing rooms probably aren't up you the standards of other grounds and visiting player would find that hard to deal with too.

C&C I had to goto bucketty today, that was like a scene from deliverance.

Gator said:
Brookvale is without doubt the Fortress of the NRL (regardless of what happens on sunday). What is it that The Sea Eagles, Brookvale and the supporters do better than the Broncos that make Brookvale Oval so much more of a fortress than Suncorp Stadium.

Manly are winning Friday this week - so Sunday Brookie will be as sterile as Suncorp :)

But to analyse the mystique of Brookie, I believe that it is its natural surrounds. The residential area to the north is a very large hill as well. So Brookie is the only NRL Ground that is encased by trees and hills on two sides, only the south and west is metal/concrete. The generations of kids who can spend most of the game rolling down the grass hills also adds to the homestead feel.

Leichhardt Oval's northern hill is low, so the energy/sound of Home Supporters is diluted.
Bluetonge, WIN Wollongong and Shark Park suffer from having one side open to large masses of water - also diminishes the sound waves.
The rest of the Grounds are all metal/concrete with seating well away from the action => sterile.
It takes SOO or Major Finals to fill the new Grounds with enough emotion to make it sentient.

I travel to all games and notice the lack of atmosphere at our Away Games even when the local Team is winning.

So kudos to us at Brookie for the passion and noise we continue to express to our beloved Manly Team :heart:
Lozenges ready for tomorrow's recovery session :D

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4