Where will Manly finish in 2024?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Where will Manly finish in 2024?

• 1-4

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • 5-8

Votes: 52 61.9%
  • 9-12

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • 13-17

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
5th to 7th. Inclusion of Brooks, Lodge, Brown and a fit Turbo will certainly give us a lot of strike power.
Only concern is our left side Ben, Garrick and Paulo, all renowned poor defenders.
I would like to see Vega start on the wing.
Can’t see us missing the 8, lot of competition for positions.
I think we can go all the way to the big dance this year!

I know it's a bit of a cop out, but give me eight rounds of footy or so and then I'll give you an answer. Without seeing the team play, I have no idea where we might end up. Has our roster improved? Maybe, although not dramatically. But other teams' rosters have also improved, and they'll all be aiming to climb the ladder as well.

If everything goes our way - no bad injuries, good team chemistry, a bit of luck here and there - we could do well. Otherwise, it could be another middling, frustrating season.

5-8
With Vegas now only days away ... I suddenly wonder if we've been living in a fool's paradise imagining all the ways the team will be so much better this year. :eek:
They might be much better! But that is far from assured.
The Souths game will be the reality check, I've been confident from the start that Manly would win this game, I'm looking forward to see how it plays out.

I think we’ve got a top 4 backline and a bottom 4 forward pack. Balances out at 8-9th place. On the days the opposition pack falter, we’ll put on big scores (a La Raiders game last year) and the days the opposition pack turns up, we’ll lose by 10-20 points.

We’ll scrape 8th place or just miss the finals. If we make the finals, we’ll be beaten in the middle by a Newcastle or Eels.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but thinking Lodge or Brown are going to help us compete with the best packs, is perplexing to me. Lodge was cast off by the Roosters and treading water in NSW Cup. He is not a marquee middle. Brown was on a train and trial contract and is battling chronic injuries to keep his career afloat. He is not a marquee forward. Adding those two guys does not equate to nullifying the Payne Haas’ and Leota’s of the world.

A better strategy would have been to keep Sam Fainu and V Fafita and build a pack of young and fast forwards that might take a couple of years to mature. Unfortunately, Seibs is once bitten, twice shy. He saw what a youth investment meant at Brisbane and it cost him his job. Enter experienced forwards who will help us tread water but will not take us to the top.

Last edited:
Its a hard one. With Tom our forward pack and chances are way better, as are the results. But we are consistently a bottom 8 side without Tom

Lodge and Brown improve the forwards , and improve the team as they bring a tougher mindset. losing keppie also helps. Loved his hitting power and aggression but he was a common denominator with poor goal line defence

our leadership group, mental resilience is piss poor without tom. Lodge and brown will improve that and that says a lot about our focus currently,

On ST we confuse effort with white line fever And what it takes to win footy games in the NRL. Manly try hard but wont play the game of attrition . Too busy doing things that have us finishing 12th with flair

We accept a loss too easily and until we unseat that leadership group and its ideals and acceptance , we will never rise above there limitations

our managers hold back our workers because there strengths are personal, and dont inspire greatness in the team. Leaders need the appetite , ours have excuse speeches saved on file

I know it's a bit of a cop out, but give me eight rounds of footy or so and then I'll give you an answer. Without seeing the team play, I have no idea where we might end up. Has our roster improved? Maybe, although not dramatically. But other teams' rosters have also improved, and they'll all be aiming to climb the ladder as well.

If everything goes our way - no bad injuries, good team chemistry, a bit of luck here and there - we could do well. Otherwise, it could be another middling, frustrating season.
Cop out

only pissing about, you are correct. Who knows. If you spend time on ST over the summer we always talk ourselves into contention. the pessimist /optimist threads are just the “not a real supporter” dressed in a different shirt

Its a hard one. With Tom our forward pack and chances are way better, as are the results. But we are consistently a bottom 8 side without Tom

Lodge and Brown improve the forwards , and improve the team as they bring a tougher mindset. losing keppie also helps. Loved his hitting power and aggression but he was a common denominator with poor goal line defence

our leadership group, mental resilience is piss poor without tom. Lodge and brown will improve that and that says a lot about our focus currently,

On ST we confuse effort with white line fever And what it takes to win footy games in the NRL. Manly try hard but wont play the game of attrition . Too busy doing things that have us finishing 12th with flair

We accept a loss too easily and until we unseat that leadership group and its ideals and acceptance , we will never rise above there limitations

our managers hold back our workers because there strengths are personal, and dont inspire greatness in the team. Leaders need the appetite , ours have excuse speeches saved on file
Good Morning feathered friend , I hope you lead an inspirational day today .

The Key word from your post is leadership
And the Key leadership member of a team is a Hard line Inspirational coach that inspires a resolute culture .
Bellamy The Storm Key Consistent performing coach keeps losing quality Star players but still has the Storm shining into finals footy
1708901963465.png

5th to 7th. Inclusion of Brooks, Lodge, Brown and a fit Turbo will certainly give us a lot of strike power.
Only concern is our left side Ben, Garrick and Paulo, all renowned poor defenders.
I would like to see Vega start on the wing.
Can’t see us missing the 8, lot of competition for positions.
I think we can go all the way to the big dance this year!
Garrick will play right I believe

5-8
With Vegas now only days away ... I suddenly wonder if we've been living in a fool's paradise imagining all the ways the team will be so much better this year. :eek:
They might be much better! But that is far from assured.
The Souths game will be the reality check, I've been confident from the start that Manly would win this game, I'm looking forward to see how it plays out.
Same for all teams really, all clubs start with hope in the off season.

For us I think we have the widest range of any team, we could really land anywhere from top to bottom 4.

One thing I will say is, some speak like the 8 is some big chasm from where we have been. Last year we missed by 3 points, less than two games. We werent particularly good last year, didnt really have a 5/8 and Tom was out and we missed by 3 points.

5-8 was my vote

Same for all teams really, all clubs start with hope in the off season.

For us I think we have the widest range of any team, we could really land anywhere from top to bottom 4.

One thing I will say is, some speak like the 8 is some big chasm from where we have been. Last year we missed by 3 points, less than two games. We werent particularly good last year, didnt really have a 5/8 and Tom was out and we missed by 3 points.

5-8 was my vote
While you are right, the teams inability to make a real dent on the top sides and the lack of consistency shows where we are at as much as competition points

even if we had scraped into the 8 without Tom we were fodder

the team fired up a bit near seasons end, in particular the game against the riff but our ability to get chased down with big leads, the attitude that lets in soft tries in the last 10 minutes when we have the game wrapped up, shows how far away we are from being a contender , even if we make the 8

just my view

Good Morning feathered friend , I hope you lead an inspirational day today .

The Key word from your post is leadership
And the Key leadership member of a team is a Hard line Inspirational coach that inspires a resolute culture .
Bellamy The Storm Key Consistent performing coach keeps losing quality Star players but still has the Storm shining into finals footy
View attachment 26105
Morning bozo

bellamys leadeship, and stability is what manly need. He made cronk, smith and slater in his mould. They were filthy when the lost , never accept excuses and all play the role they need to

those players , the succession plan, passing on of that knowledge and culture, that attitude We have none of that,

Agree REG, wont be a lot in the results from 3 - to 3rd last, it's going to take 6 or more games to get a good enough read on what the teams fortunes will be for 2024 ?.

Not much change on last year 9 to 12.
I agree 100%. The forward pack is quite weak and at least at the start of the year will be missing Schuster, Lodge & Sipley. We could very easily go 0-5 and blow the season up.

better strategy would have been to keep Sam Fainu and V Fafita and build a pack of young and fast forwards that might take a couple of years to mature. Unfortunately, Seibs is once bitten, twice shy. He saw what a youth investment meant at Brisbane and it cost him his job. Enter experienced forwards who will help us tread water but will not take us to the top.
In theory may be a good strategy to keep those 2, but are Fifita and Fainu ready to win a comp this year? Next year? If not we may find by the time they are elite (if ever) Manly can’t afford them, and they’ll be off to whichever club that will ‘be best for setting up their family’

I think Manly is doing a fair job of building a competitive squad using some spare parts and cast-offs. To take the final step, yes we’ll probably need one or two of the youngsters to hit the heights, or else make a marquee signing somehow.

Last edited:
I think last years top 4 are pretty much a lock again, with 5th - 12th most likely being fought out by the same teams again, maybe the Rorters are the only other side that can potentially push for a spot in the 4, with the Cows and the Slime the most likely sides to replace the Gummies and the Faiders.

Newcastle are a question mark, I think if they start the season poorly they could struggle to recover and that may open the door for a spot in the 8. I had them ear marked in the 8 off the back of last year, but I haven’t been impressed through the trials and think their depth and the loss of young will hurt, they are also very similar to us with regard to Ponga being a question mark for the season.

I don’t think the byes favour us in comparison to some of the other more fancied sides, with both ours coming mid season Rd 13 and 17, maybe if we are in the race for the 8 our Rd 22 bye could be very handy.

We have a relatively tough early draw, which could see us struggle to stay in touch, while a couple of the bottom sides from last year namely the Tits and Fins seem to have a more favourable start and a possible advantage to build off, however I don’t see the Fins repeating last year, even with their good recruiting and from what I‘ve seen of the Tits, I think Des May take some getting used to, anybody else notice the vib in their sheds yesterday? A lot of nervous looking players, a little Hasler intensity perhaps. I think the last 3 years under Holbrook will have been vastly different to what there experiencing now, be very interesting to see if Des gets the side preforming, they have a fairly good side on paper, however I see it being a tough adjustment for the Tits.

Don‘t give the Dogs, the Goons or the Tigpies much hope and believe they will be fighting it out again for the spoon, maybe a bit harsh on the Dogs as they could improve with Critter as a player and captain.

That leaves the bunnies and us, ironic really as we clash in the season opener, I think both sides have the potential to finish in the 8 while at the same time look equally as likely to miss the 8, will newcastle fall away, could there be a spot in the 8? Maybe the cows or the Slime struggle and miss providing a spot as well, think I’ll give them both a berth at this stage ahead of the Gummies and the Faiders, I have little confidence in the Bunnies or us at this stage, only time will tell I guess, I just think we don’t have the engine room, the 9 or 13 to push for the 8 and while our backline looks as promising as it’s been in a good while, I still think there‘s some question marks. The Bunnies are hard to get an early read on and both sides need to over rely on their FB’s to have a good season, at this stage and without having seen our side play, I’m going to say we miss the 8, the Bunnies have a little more resilience than us and may just make the 8 however its no secret theres some unrest in the playing group and I will not be surprised if they struggle this year, Graham is also a big out for them, Rd 22.

So let’s go, we need to kick our season off with a win to build the confidence, the 2 points are huge, we should of beat south’s last year, that game and dropping the game in Mudgee (or the point, where we should of won) probably cost us a spot in the 8, had we of beat souths, I believe we would of went on with it in Mudgee and not faded to end with a draw, I also believe those 2 game and the loss of momentum and confidence that followed getting hammered by the riff contributed going into the loss against the tigers and the Tits, (even though we beat the storm in between, like so often we struggle to keep up the intensity against the sides we’re expected to beat, stringing wins together is a one of our problems) we should of won those 2 games, small things make a difference, 4 early games there that could have changed our season, anyway I hope we stand up and come away with the points in Vegas, do that and things could swing in our favour, our forwards will need to overcome a bloody strong pack, thinking Vegas is really important for our season, win and we come back looking forward to the chooks game, lets not think about a loss. Hard to imagine a season opener could be so important, but I’m thinking its huge for us, we win the belief in the side and the process gets off to the right start. Hope the lads are behaving, while also hoping Mitchel and co can’t help themselves. Apologies for the essay, got carried away, haven’t posted over the off season, so looking forward to the game.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10